Rico

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/ryans-seat-white-hot-bad-loss/

Most of the article is obvious, but this part is dead on:

"I also suspect that Doug Whaley and his personnel people are engaging in a power play against Ryan. One of the national reports on Sunday had an unnamed Bills source saying that Ryan had been given "superior personnel" and not done enough with it.

That sounds like a transparent attempt by the football department to point the finger of blame at Ryan in a crisis. It's true that Ryan hasn't gotten enough out of his team, but Whaley is also culpable for some of his dubious moves as GM -- notably, trading up for Sammy Watkins to support EJ Manuel and whiffing on key draft picks."

BLOW IT UP PEGS!

As Mick Jagger once said, everybody's gotta go.

Bills should be a lot better. Whaley can't coach the team too. He went all in on his scheme. You don't like Alexander now? Or Zach Brown? And Watkins trade isn't why the Bills lose. Sammy figure at all into Rex's defensive schemes giving up 400 yards of offense to the Steelers today? Or to the Dolphins in Miami? Or other bad showing?

Whaley's Achilles heal is his ability to scout and draft QBs. He seems to draft big guys with strong arms that lack accuracy and have a low football IQ.

Meanwhile the emphasis in the league has been on accuracy, quick release, and the ability to read the field. The Bills had a chance to draft many of the up-and-coming young QBs in the league, but Whaley let them pass by. The vast majority of those guys are under 6'4".

You have to wonder if Whaley let them slip by because the didn't fit his view of a prototypical QB.

Totally agree with this.

This is Rex's team. His defense. His QB and they are exactly what he wanted. They started the season out bad and stunk up the joint today when they were very healthy. No excuses. They are average at best. The defense can't win a game even when they consistently score 24 points. Impact players made no impact today. I don't see much of a future for what was put on the field today.

My opinion of whether Whaley should stay or go depends entirely on if he wanted Rex to be the coach. If that was purely the Pegula's choice I think a GM should get a chance to bring in his personnel choice for HC before he gets the axe.

I don't think Whaley chose Marrone or Ryan. How can the GM not pick the HC?

Edited by nucci

Sully just hates Whaley. Whaley has not "blown it" on a lot of draft picks. His last several drafts have been solid. Rex has been AWFUL. I'd keep Lynn and Whaley in any "blowing up."

How has his last several drafts been solid! The Bills scouting and drafting has been horrendous for 17 years; what am I missing?

Whaley's Achilles heal is his ability to scout and draft QBs. He seems to draft big guys with strong arms that lack accuracy and have a low football IQ.

Meanwhile the emphasis in the league has been on accuracy, quick release, and the ability to read the field. The Bills had a chance to draft many of the up-and-coming young QBs in the league, but Whaley let them pass by. The vast majority of those guys are under 6'4".

You have to wonder if Whaley let them slip by because the didn't fit his view of a prototypical QB.

Man ain't that the truth😵🤔

My opinion of whether Whaley should stay or go depends entirely on if he wanted Rex to be the coach. If that was purely the Pegula's choice I think a GM should get a chance to bring in his personnel choice for HC before he gets the axe.

If a GM as gifted as Whaley could not convince two new owners who know nothing about NFL football that Rex was not the guy to hire, why would you want to keep him around?

The answer is that they relied heavily on his opinion and they got the guy they all wanted in the end.

I don't think there's a lot of Whaley blame for his ability to scout and get talent. It's just that there are other aspects to a GM's role that include winning consistently that he is having the most trouble with.

Whaley, as a top scout, blew it on R Wilson. He should have been canned for that. Instead he was made GM.

If a GM as gifted as Whaley could not convince two new owners who know nothing about NFL football that Rex was not the guy to hire, why would you want to keep him around?

The answer is that they relied heavily on his opinion and they got the guy they all wanted in the end.

Without being in the room I really have no clue. I'll leave it to the Pegulas, who know what happened, to make the decision.

If they feel he had a large hand in hiring Rex and they want to part ways with Rex after just 2 years I'd have to assume that they'd likely part ways with Whaley too.

On the other hand if he had other candidates that he pitched to them and they went in their own direction anyway I can't lay that at Whaley's feet.

Posters love to make wide, sweeping, assumptions and criticize Bills' management for those assumptions. Bottom line is we have no idea, even if we want to convince ourselves we do.