Should he stay or should he go? Skurski/Graham debate TT

YoloinOhio

Well-done article IMO

Tyrod Taylor: If he stays there might be trouble, and if he goes it could be double

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/09/stay-go-tyrod-debate/

Not surprisingly, Taylor has chosen not to address the issue publicly, choosing instead to focus on Buffalo's make-or-break game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday at New Era Field.

But Taylor's silence hasnt stopped his status from being a topic of conversation. There are arguments to be made for and against the Bills picking up the option. News Sports Reporters Tim Graham and Jay Skurski present theirs here:

Edited by YoloinOhio

Skurski laid it out perfectly. I'm also tired of people saying that Whaley shouldn't be trusted to draft a QB because of the Manuel pick. Graham's suggestion that Whaley missed out on the likes of Prescott and Carr because he doesn't know QB talent is so out of line. It's not like other teams drafted them with their 1st picks. Graham's other suggestion that TT played with subpar receivers is asinine too. Alex Smith was missing his top receiver (Maclin) for a spell, but he makes it work with Hill and Kelce (who is comparable to Clay). I'm just glad Graham is a reporter and not the Bills GM

Skurski laid it out perfectly. I'm also tired of people saying that Whaley shouldn't be trusted to draft a QB because of the Manuel pick. Graham's suggestion that Whaley missed out on the likes of Prescott and Carr because he doesn't know QB talent is so out of line. It's not like other teams drafted them with their 1st picks. Graham's other suggestion that TT played with subpar receivers is asinine too. Alex Smith was missing his top receiver (Maclin) for a spell, but he makes it work with Hill and Kelce (who is comparable to Clay). I'm just glad Graham is a reporter and not the Bills GM

Tell me exactly "1" QB the Bills have rolled out there since Whaley took over that wasn't pathetic?

Tell me exactly "1" QB the Bills have rolled out there since Whaley took over that wasn't pathetic?

What was Whaley's title in Pittsburgh when they acquired Roethlisberger? I recall EJ Manuel not looking so bad his rookie season. It's not so much the GMs job to develop the QBs. Once again, Alex Smith was considered a BUST into Andy Reid put his hands on him.

Skurski laid it out perfectly. I'm also tired of people saying that Whaley shouldn't be trusted to draft a QB because of the Manuel pick.

i don't think he can be trusted because of his own words. his main reason for picking ej was due to his "presence" and the fact that he was tall. plus he rejected analytics in favor of ej's "it" factor, whatever the hell that means:

the only part i agree with whaley on in that entire video is the last 20 seconds when he says he should be out of a job if the ej pick doesn't work out.

i don't think he can be trusted because of his own words. his main reason for picking ej was due to his "presence" and the fact that he was tall. plus he rejected analytics in favor of ej's "it" factor, whatever the hell that means:

the only part i agree with whaley on in that entire video is the last 20 seconds when he says he should be out of a job if the ej pick doesn't work out.

It is breathtakingly bad when people here try not to assign the EJ pick to Whaley...........he freakin' LOVED EJ..........and we all saw that video.

His judgement on QB's has been bad.

LOL at Skycap trying to credit Whaley for picking Roethlisberger. :doh::lol:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Interesting info regarding the guarantees Taylor gets on the 3rd day of the league year. Spotrac has changed their contract info to reflect it. $30.75M in guarantees on 3rd league day of 2017 and an additional $9.75M in 2018 rather than all $40.5M guaranteeing in 2017. He'll be a very tough cut and here for 2, probably 3 more years if his option is picked up.

This argument is weak. What other teams do doesn't matter--if you team desperately needs a QB, you have to put in more effort than Whaley has--beginning in the year before he was "officially" named GM, replacing the feeble Buddy Nix. The year before that, despite living off a rep as a top college talent scout, he thought it was a good idea not to use a third round pick on Wilson and agreed that TJ Graham was the much better play. He was rewarded with the official title of GM.

And on what planet is Clay comparable to Kelce?

Based on the results so far this season, I would be more concened about the regression of the Defense than Taylor. Our Offense, with Taylor at QB, can put up points. Our Defense cannot stop the run or the pass.

Kyle Orton. BILLS were 7-5 with him under center. 2 of the wins were due to late game QB heroics (Minn and Det).

Detroit was late game heroics but sammy and carpenter.

This argument is weak. What other teams do doesn't matter--if you team desperately needs a QB, you have to put in more effort than Whaley has--beginning in the year before he was "officially" named GM, replacing the feeble Buddy Nix. The year before that, despite living off a rep as a top college talent scout, he thought it was a good idea not to use a third round pick on Wilson and agreed that TJ Graham was the much better play. He was rewarded with the official title of GM.

Every planet where there is a qb who throws him the ball.

Kelce 10 mil guaranteed

Clay 25 mil guaranteed

Loollllll time to start drinking

It is breathtakingly bad when people here try not to assign the EJ pick to Whaley...........he freakin' LOVED EJ..........and we all saw that video.

His judgement on QB's has been bad.

LOL at Skycap trying to credit Whaley for picking Roethlisberger. :doh::lol:

You are the biggest hard head. Most aren't saying he didn't whiff on EJ - we're saying there's not much skill to picking a great QB. Why in hell can you not understand that?

If every GM was hired and fired on their ability to pick QB's there wouldn't be any - only one's that haven't been before. You don't want that either because you'll B word and complain about him not having experience. You're a depressing individual.

I'm in complete agreement with the article in that while Nix was the GM at the time that selected EJ, DW also bought off on it. Where I do have a problem putting too much blame on DW is that I recall the season prior Buddy Nix stating more than once, that "we will get a QB in the off-season" and I believe he specifically stated through the draft. Nix wanted his legacy to Buffalo to be he was the guy who got the Bill's their next franchise QB. If it worked out he'd be revered forever, whereas even if he selected the best LB or tackle of all time, no one would really ever care. I'm sure he also knew he was retiring already so he didn't have much to lose.

So Nix was hell bent on drafting someone and likely early. So did DW really tell Nix the guy we want is EJ in round #1 or was it the other way around and Nix told Whaley I'm drafting a QB in the 1st round, who do you want and given that choice DW bought off on EJ as the best option. Likely the truth is somewhere in between, but do believe based on Nix's off-season statement, he was drafting a QB in round #1 whether there was anyone deserving or not and DW just gave him the name he felt was the best option, but maybe would have rather waited until round #2.

So Nix was hell bent on drafting someone and likely early. So did DW really tell Nix the guy we want is EJ in round #1 or was it the other way around and Nix told Whaley I'm drafting a QB in the 1st round, who do you want and given that choice DW bought off on EJ as the best option. Likely the truth is somewhere in between, but do believe based on Nix's off-season statement, he was drafting a QB in round #1 whether there was anyone deserving or not and DW just gave him the name he felt was the best option, but maybe would have rather waited until round #2.

i agree that that the overlap between whaley and nix makes attributing responsibility a bit murky (which may or may not have been intended). as i mentioned earlier, i believe that whaley was in total agreement with the pick. but let's assume he wasn't. if the bills allowed a retiring gm to make a pick on his own -- or force the new gm to make it -- then it points to major organizational incompetence far worse than just making a bad pick. and if whaley made the pick just because nix sent out a directive, then that's on him. if i'm a new gm, i'm not about to waste a first round pick and two years of development on a qb who i know isn't good enough.

but like i said, i tend to believe whaley's comments in that video where he lauds ej. he liked ej's "presence" and thought he looked the part.