A Third party observation of Yesterday..

PatsFanNH

I never noticed a blitz, but that doesn't mean they didn't. If they did, then they need to disguise it better.

If they blitzed and you didn't notice it, wouldn't it suggest it was already well disguised? I think they decided to disguise their blitzes by not only avoiding the appearance of bringing pressure, but by avoiding bringing pressure altogether. The Raiders never knew it was coming... cuz it wasn't. That Rex is crazy like a fox.

With a QB like Taylor, I'll never understand calling a wildcat play. It's one thing if you've got a guy like Brady who you know isn't going to run, but to replace a QB who could run with a RB who won't throw, it's incredibly dumb.

Exactly. The whole point of the wildcat is to make the defense account for another potential runner, but with Tyrod at QB, they already have to do that. Completely idiotic.

With a QB like Taylor, I'll never understand calling a wildcat play. It's one thing if you've got a guy like Brady who you know isn't going to run, but to replace a QB who could run with a RB who won't throw, it's incredibly dumb.

It'd be like repeatedly bringing in a backup QB to draw a team offside on 4th down when you know he isn't going to throw just to waste a time out. No coach in his right mind would be stupid enough to do that...

I think the main problem in Buffalo is the coaching. Most of their loses this year have come from being outcoached on all sides of the ball. Along with that, this team is very very undisciplined which makes winning that much harder to accomplish.

I never noticed a blitz, but that doesn't mean they didn't. If they did, then they need to disguise it better.

They did several blitzes with LBs and DBs. What they need to do is execute it better.

On the few plays they had pressure on him, Carr threw the ball away or made bad throws. There were times when he was having so much fun back there he was laughing. It was like a picnic most of the time. And he could put the ball on the money. We should have had pressure on him all day long. By the way, what is Shaq Lawson doing? We got more pressure before he got on the team. Have the revised their scheme since his arrival?

One of the (many) disappointing things from yesterday was the Bills hurry up offense. WTF were they doing? They're down 2 scores with less than 5 minutes left and their "hurry up" offense couldn't get the snap off until about 10 seconds left on the play clock. It was just pathetic.

Thats actually a really good point. One of the tangible benefits of having TT be the QB is the potential unpredictability of an option play. Going into the wildcat is completely ass backwards. Going into a wildcat 2x in a row is downright inexcusable.

This was classic millennial Bills. It will be added to the greatest hits album. We're 6-5 ahead by 15 in the 3rd quarter. Huge difference between being .500 and 7-5, 2 games over with 4 games to go. The Raiders are 0-72 in the previous games behind by that much. We rush for over 200 yards, wonder what a teams W-L record is when rushing for 200? You're feeling good, probably a fan of another team would be high fiveing, but 16 years of this crap and you know its coming, and boy do the Bills deliver.......we debate whose fault it was when it was the whole god darn team(sans the rbs).

Tyrod goes ice cold can't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle including a throw down the sideline to an open Watkins late that a NFL QB should make, for sure a 90 million dollar QB should make. It wasnt so much as throwing to a window as half a garage door and he cant make it. Hell Shady has to make a one handed great catch on a simple flare from TT.

Rex the D genius decides we will rush 3, what better way to help our depleted secondary then to give Carr a whole lot of time to throw, we all know pressure brings sacks and turnovers so we won't have any of that.,,,we'll leave that to the Raiders.

While we blame the D we give the Raiders 2 short fields with a shank punt and Tyrods interception

Speaking of Tyrods INT, let me say this. We go ultra conservative before the first half ends.....but we are pinned back inside the 5 on offense and Lynn calls for a pass,...risking the safety also with a penalty. Tyrod gets I got all day syndrome and well Mack did his thing and its first down Raiders in the redzone---Bills coaching sinking to the occasion.

Do you see our hurry up 5 minute drive towards the end? Andy Reid would of been proud.

This was beyond the ST onside kick failure against Dallas or the McLovin fumble against the Pats, Stevie's drop against the Steelers. We brought the total failure package---coaching, offense, defense and ST. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We feel it coming on while you're say damn the Bills got it going on. And it happens on cue. This team is anti- clutch, screw next man up we got next man F#@$ up. It's what we do.

Someday the players will use the disrespect previous teams have earned, as a rallying cry, as in this crap is going to stop with us, right now. But with this group I dont see the fire,.....I dont seen any leaders. I've watched the 90s Bills and this group from Brandon to Whaley to
Rex to Lynn to the players.....they couldn't hold Polians,...or Marchibroda's or Kelly's or Thurrmans and Bruce's or Talleys jockstrap. They got no heart.

Even the kool-aid, unicorn, my magic pony, pie in the sky homers,.....know Im right because they've seen it with their lying eyes. Their silence is deafening, if I was wrong they would be all over me, but they aren't because there is no comeback from the truth.

Edited by billsfan714

To me Tyrod missed an open Goodwin, Watkins & that newly signed TE Christian - that one was a back breaker.

The one that got me maybe for good was the third down on one of the 3 and outs.

They lined Sammy in the slot that looked kind of odd I thought. But they snuck him behind the line and flared out for a short pass/first down conversion. But Hotrod led him too far and he couldn't catch it and we had to punt.

A beautifully executed well designed play but Hotrod couldn't make an easy pass.

And it gave me deja vu to the 3rd down misfire to Harvin a few weeks back.

They half-heartily blitzed, nothing special, nothing hidden. Odd how we still have the personnel that suits a 4-3 and not a 3-4 even after he picks his guys for defense. Marcel is NOT a nose tackle and his talents are being wasted, same with Hughes, he was much better with his hand on the ground as an end and not the olb. We tore apart the 4-3 to get to his 3-4/5-2 defense yet still would put out a great 4-3... how'd that happen?

Can either you or another bills fan answer me a question.. is there a reason why the bills never run any sort of isolation play with McCoy as a receiver to get him out in the open field 1 on 1? (Sort of what the Patriots do with their RB) or are you guys doing it and not working? (Again I don't remember to many set ups if any with McCoy spread out wide.

It's a fair point...But I think you're missing the obvious...Stepping over the dollar to grab the dime...If we had a QB that could consistently execute the plays called...A QB who could make the simple throws to keep the chains moving, especially on 3rd down...A QB who could process at an NFL level...A lot of the second thinking on formations and play calling would be completely unnecessary...

The problem with wondering about things like getting Shady one-on-one out of the slot, or isolated out of the backfield, is there has to be an assumption that Tyrod will get him the ball...in stride...Taylor has not show that kind of consistency with any of the Bills receivers...So more than likely if they ran the play, and Shady got open, the ball would come to him high and wide...Or even more likely Tyrod would not see him, scramble to the perimeter, and throw the ball away if he can't run for a 1st down... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

A clear and present admission that our only hope was to take the ball out of Tyrod's hands...on the road, against a 9-2 team whose QB is an MVP candidate.

The state of our QB position, ladies and gentlemen. It's 2016, and this is what we have to do to try and win ball games. What more evidence to fans need that TT is single handedly taking wins off the sheet?

Look I get it TT is not the answer. I've come around to that conclusion now.

But single handedly? Cat you are more reasonable usually. The defense gave up 29 straight points. Turnovers happen. The defense is supposed to hold them or get turnovers. The defense collapsed when the Bills had second half leads against Miami and Oakland. And don't tell me the three and outs were the cause. The defense wasn't gassed. They were gashed.

Rex has destroyed this defense and another year of drafting his players will only make the inevitable change back to a 4-3 that much harder.

This was classic millennial Bills. It will be added to the greatest hits album. We're 6-5 ahead by 15 in the 3rd quarter. Huge difference between being .500 and 7-5, 2 games over with 4 games to go. The Raiders are 0-72 in the previous games behind by that much. We rush for over 200 yards, wonder what a teams W-L record is when rushing for 200? You're feeling good, probably a fan of another team would be high fiveing, but 16 years of this crap and you know its coming, and boy do the Bills deliver.......we debate whose fault it was when it was the whole god darn team(sans the rbs).

Tyrod goes ice cold can't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle including a throw down the sideline to an open Watkins late that a NFL QB should make, for sure a 90 million dollar QB should make. It wasnt so much as throwing to a window as half a garage door and he cant make it. Hell Shady has to make a one handed great catch on a simple flare from TT.

Rex the D genius decides we will rush 3, what better way to help our depleted secondary then to give Carr a whole lot of time to throw, we all know pressure brings sacks and turnovers so we won't have any of that.,,,we'll leave that to the Raiders.

While we blame the D we give the Raiders 2 short fields with a shank punt and Tyrods interception

Speaking of Tyrods INT, let me say this. We go ultra conservative before the first half ends.....but we are pinned back inside the 5 on offense and Lynn calls for a pass,...risking the safety also with a penalty. Tyrod gets I got all day syndrome and well Mack did his thing and its first down Raiders in the redzone---Bills coaching sinking to the occasion.

Do you see our hurry up 5 minute drive towards the end? Andy Reid would of been proud.

This was beyond the ST onside kick failure against Dallas or the McLovin fumble against the Pats, Stevie's drop against the Steelers. We brought the total failure package---coaching, offense, defense and ST. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We feel it coming on while you're say damn the Bills got it going on. And it happens on cue. This team is anti- clutch, screw next man up we got next man F#@$ up. It's what we do.

Someday the players will use the disrespect previous teams have earned, as a rallying cry, as in this crap is going to stop with us, right now. But with this group I dont see the fire,.....I dont seen any leaders. I've watched the 90s Bills and this group from Brandon to Whaley to

Rex to Lynn to the players.....they couldn't hold Polians,...or Marchibroda's or Kelly's or Thurrmans and Bruce's or Talleys jockstrap. They got no heart.

Even the kool-aid, unicorn, my magic pony, pie in the sky homers,.....know Im right because they've seen it with their lying eyes. Their silence is deafening, if I was wrong they would be all over me, but they aren't because there is no comeback from the truth.

McLovin and Stevie were worse, but I agree otherwise. They were plays that just don't happen 99% of the time. This was a meltdown of epic proportions but not the searing pain of those two plays.

I first want to state I was rooting for a Bills win yesterday that said:

1st half:

The Bills D gave up a few drives but made the potent Raiders O only scored 9 points. A perfect example of a bend. It don't break D.

The offense was hardly spectacular but managed a TD drive and a FG to have the lead at half at 10-9.

My Grade: A -- on the road that's perfectly played and a great way set yourself up for a win.

Second Half:

The Offense got me excited at the beginning roaring out to 2 TD in the 3rd quarter to get a lead of 24-9. But then failed to even muster a drive of more than 20 yards I believe.

The Defense -- absolutely collapsed! Outside of 1 stop to get the 15 point lead they were unable to prevent an endzone finish every other time. If they had done what they had in the first half (making them settle for FG) the Bills possibly could have won.

Overall Grade - D the inability to adjust in the half to even slow the bleeding on D and the absolute melt down on O for 1 1/2 quarters was hard to watch.

My assessment is simple on O when you see 8 men in the box it's the perfect time for screens and getting the ball to your best players (RB) in the flat. For whatever reason they kept insisting on trying run with a stacked box and I still can't figure out the 2 back to back wildcat plays.

On D I understand dropping 8 back into coverage on 3rd and long, but would it have killed them do some CB blitzes or any kind of blitzes to maybe force an error by a hurting Carr?

We didn't hold them to 9 points in the first half, they dropped two touchdowns.

I've been thinking the same thing. The designed running plays for Tyrod have been very effective. Why put a running back there with no option to throw?

We didn't hold them to 9 points in the first half, they dropped two touchdowns.

True, but that showed me they were not focused in the first half... (they were looking ahead to KC) I felt after the first half and he'll 1/2 way threw the 3rd the Bills were going to win... then the wheels fell off...

I think the main problem in Buffalo is the coaching. Most of their loses this year have come from being outcoached on all sides of the ball. Along with that, this team is very very undisciplined which makes winning that much harder to accomplish.

AGREED! In 28 games as the Bills HC, IMO, Rex has not beat a better team once. I am not counting the Pats with their 3rd string QB. Not once! That will never lead to anything good! Rex is not good enough for soooo many reasons. I am watching and paying less attention then ever before. My heart is not in it and don't think it will be till Rex is gone. Still cheering and hoping. But, it feels like false hope. He just isn't even close to good enough.

Sad face...

AGREED! In 28 games as the Bills HC, IMO, Rex has not beat a better team once. I am not counting the Pats with their 3rd string QB. Not once! That will never lead to anything good! Rex is not good enough for soooo many reasons. I am watching and paying less attention then ever before. My heart is not in it and don't think it will be till Rex is gone. Still cheering and hoping. But, it feels like false hope. He just isn't even close to good enough.

Sad face...

They beat the Jets twice last year. Take out the games vs. the Bills and that Jets team was 10-4 against everybody else. That's a better team than the Bills.

That being said, I don't disagree with you that coaching is a big issue, I just don't see them pulling the plug.

If the Bills manage to get to 8 wins this season (which they should) that will be just the 6th time in their 17 year playoff drought that they were .500 or better. Two of those came under Rex. He'll also be the only coach who was .500 or better in that time.

As sad as that is, it's likely to be enough to keep him on board.