A Third party observation of Yesterday..

PatsFanNH

I first want to state I was rooting for a Bills win yesterday that said:

1st half:

The Bills D gave up a few drives but made the potent Raiders O only scored 9 points. A perfect example of a bend. It don't break D.

The offense was hardly spectacular but managed a TD drive and a FG to have the lead at half at 10-9.

My Grade: A -- on the road that's perfectly played and a great way set yourself up for a win.

Second Half:

The Offense got me excited at the beginning roaring out to 2 TD in the 3rd quarter to get a lead of 24-9. But then failed to even muster a drive of more than 20 yards I believe.

The Defense -- absolutely collapsed! Outside of 1 stop to get the 15 point lead they were unable to prevent an endzone finish every other time. If they had done what they had in the first half (making them settle for FG) the Bills possibly could have won.

Overall Grade - D the inability to adjust in the half to even slow the bleeding on D and the absolute melt down on O for 1 1/2 quarters was hard to watch.

My assessment is simple on O when you see 8 men in the box it's the perfect time for screens and getting the ball to your best players (RB) in the flat. For whatever reason they kept insisting on trying run with a stacked box and I still can't figure out the 2 back to back wildcat plays.

On D I understand dropping 8 back into coverage on 3rd and long, but would it have killed them do some CB blitzes or any kind of blitzes to maybe force an error by a hurting Carr?

Edited by PatsFanNH

1st half:

The Bills D gave up a few drives but made the potent Raiders O only scored 9 points. A perfect example of a bend. It don't break D.

The offense was hardly spectacular but managed a TD drive and a FG to have the lead at half at 10-9.

My Grade: A -- on the road that's perfectly played and a great way set yourself up for a win.

Second Half:

The Offense got me excited at the beginning roaring out to 2 TD in the 3rd quarter to get a lead of 24-9. But then failed to even muster a drive of more than 20 yards I believe.

The Defense -- absolutely collapsed! Outside of 1 stop to get the 15 point lead they were unable to prevent an endzone finish every other time. If they had done what they had in the first half (making them settle for FG) the Bills possibly could have won.

Overall Grade - D the inability to adjust in the half to even slow the bleeding on D and the absolute melt down on O for 1 1/2 quarters was hard to watch.

My assessment is simple on O when you see 8 men in the box it's the perfect time for screens and getting the ball to your best players (RB) in the flat. For whatever reason they kept insisting on trying run with a stacked box and I still can't figure out the 2 back to back wildcat plays.

On D I understand dropping 8 back into coverage on 3rd and long, but would it have killed them do some CB blitzes or any kind of blitzes to maybe force an error by a hurting Carr?

Thanks for reminding me about those wildcat plays. I swear sometimes Lynn has a short circuit with playcalling. It kinda happened in the Miami game where we refused to give TD Mike the ball and then yesterday with two wildcat plays in a row. Edited by bobobonators

The Bills don't run screens. At least not since Gailey left.

I agree that Rex got way too conservative. You can't let Carr sit back for 7 seconds and hit receivers. Bills needed to generate pressure and Rex got gun shy. Bills also, missing Aaron Williams have the worst safeties in the NFL. Which probably explains why Rex got scared to bring extra guys.

1st half:

Second Half:

That defensive performance in the first half wasn't as good as the point total indicated. Crabtree dropped the easiest of TD passes, costing Oakland 4, and there were 3 or 4 other drops that impacted the Raiders' scoring ability. Also, the Raiders' final possession pointed precisely to how the second half would play out. Soft zones populated by guys who can't cover plus zero pass rush. Anyway, the 9 point total was luck more than anything else.

That defensive performance in the first half wasn't as good as the point total indicated. Crabtree dropped the easiest of TD passes, costing Oakland 4, and there were 3 or 4 other drops that impacted the Raiders' scoring ability. Also, the Raiders' final possession pointed precisely to how the second half would play out. Soft zones populated by guys who can't cover plus zero pass rush. Anyway, the 9 point total was luck more than anything else.

That's why I called it bend but don't break D. Sometimes you get lucky... Trust me I know the bend but don't break D well! Lol

I thought the wildcat series was the turning point in the game. You could feel it; not the time to go wildcat there.

It was brutal.

A clear and present admission that our only hope was to take the ball out of Tyrod's hands...on the road, against a 9-2 team whose QB is an MVP candidate.

The state of our QB position, ladies and gentlemen. It's 2016, and this is what we have to do to try and win ball games. What more evidence to fans need that TT is single handedly taking wins off the sheet?

The Bills blitzed plenty of times, from all positions. They never got anywhere near Carr.

For me, one of the biggest disappointments of the second half of the season is the complete disappearance of a pass rush.

Thanks for reminding me about those wildcat plays. I swear sometimes Lynn has a short circuit with playcalling. It kinda happened in the Miami game where we refused to give TD Mike the ball and then yesterday with two wildcat plays in a row.

The first down wildcat play to Shady was bad enough....but then to run it again on second down?!? Just was mind boggling. Of course TT misses the 3d down throw and then another terrible punt and you knew that was the game.

I thought the wildcat series was the turning point in the game. You could feel it; not the time to go wildcat there.

Or ever.

The first down wildcat play to Shady was bad enough....but then to run it again on second down?!? Just was mind boggling. Of course TT misses the 3d down throw and then another terrible punt and you knew that was the game.

Or ever.

Bitching about the Bills running the wildcat overlooks the fact that what the Bills run is less "wild cat" than "sleepy kitten."

The Bills blitzed plenty of times, from all positions. They never got anywhere near Carr.

For me, one of the biggest disappointments of the second half of the season is the complete disappearance of a pass rush.

I never noticed a blitz, but that doesn't mean they didn't. If they did, then they need to disguise it better.

They had just scored - we needed to keep them on their heels. We did this well in the 1st half by passing. I know TT was off, but part of why he was doing well in the 1st half was because we kept attacking them on 1st downs. Instead we completely show our hand and line up wildcat/pistol. We never do well passing in pistol, and he's barely on the field in a wildcat situation.

I know you want to put the ball in your best players hands... but if they know you're handing it to McCoy pre-snap, it becomes a lot easier to stop him.

Edited by dneveu

Carr had a bad finger so we couldn't touch him. New rule. Hurt his other hand in the second half. Go back to the new rule. The "D" was terrible. There was no pass rush. Three rushing seven protecting the QB. Give Carr all the credit. He killed us and we let him. By Rex. Pay him and be done with it.

They had just scored - we needed to keep them on their heels. We did this well in the 1st half by passing. I know TT was off, but part of why he was doing well in the 1st half was because we kept attacking them on 1st downs. Instead we completely show our hand and line up wildcat/pistol. We never do well passing in pistol, and he's barely on the field in a wildcat situation.

I know you want to put the ball in your best players hands... but if they know you're handing it to McCoy pre-snap, it becomes a lot easier to stop him.

Can either you or another bills fan answer me a question.. is there a reason why the bills never run any sort of isolation play with McCoy as a receiver to get him out in the open field 1 on 1? (Sort of what the Patriots do with their RB) or are you guys doing it and not working? (Again I don't remember to many set ups if any with McCoy spread out wide.

With a QB like Taylor, I'll never understand calling a wildcat play. It's one thing if you've got a guy like Brady who you know isn't going to run, but to replace a QB who could run with a RB who won't throw, it's incredibly dumb.

I agree, the option play seems a better well option lol

Can either you or another bills fan answer me a question.. is there a reason why the bills never run any sort of isolation play with McCoy as a receiver to get him out in the open field 1 on 1? (Sort of what the Patriots do with their RB) or are you guys doing it and not working? (Again I don't remember to many set ups if any with McCoy spread out wide.

I wish I had an answer for you. I'm at a loss too.