A few thoughts about the Bengals Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plain and simple, if Nugent can make an extra point the Bills lose this game.

How so? The Bills don't play the same D at the end of the game if the Bengals need a FG to win. They were giving them the middle of the field to runnclock because they needed a TD. That doesn't happen if they are only up 2.

How so? The Bills don't play the same D at the end of the game if the Bengals need a FG to win. They were giving them the middle of the field to runnclock because they needed a TD. That doesn't happen if they are only up 2.

and we would have played offense differently as well,but he did miss the extra point, 2 of them and we won

1. Rex – I'm starting in a place that I've tried to avoid for a while here, partially because of my old screen name. This was a very poor showing following a bye week and for a team who is grasping at playoff hopes. Going for it on 4th down on the last scoring drive said a lot to me about how Rex viewed this game.

What bothered me the most about this game was the total lack of identity. We didn't seem to have any specific type of gameplan on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. I know Rex is letting his coaches do their job, but I really don't know what I was looking at out there.

3. Hughes – Before, he would have great plays to offset his mistakes. Today, and overall lately, not so much. His personal fouls, offsides, and other fun mistakes really hurt the team at times when they should have been walking off the field. For the money he makes and as bad as this defense can be at times, we can't afford this from him.

1. Passing the ball on 3rd and 3 on the last series, CIN out of timeouts, where a run gets you to the 2 minute warning. Unbelievably bad playcall. Stop saddling up Tyrod, especially when we're running all over the Bengals. ALynn did not call a great game today. It's like we forgot how to run the ball in the red zone. The FG that got us to 16 was brutal. 2nd and goal from the 3, two incomplete passes. Ugh. Lack of identity indeed.

3. Jerry's new nickname is The Scarecrow.

11. Charles Clay 5 REC, 23 YDS. Biggest target on the field, not in the EZ on 3rd and goal from the 13. We're paying this guy a ton of money to do essentially nothing.

Yeah, it was a win. But tell me you weren't looking for the ball to come down in a Bengal's hands on the last play. Should never have gotten there, but we just handed them 30 seconds by not running the ball on 3rd and 3. It was setting up to be yet another bummer, but this time, we escaped (finally).

Confusing performance by TT. Did enough to keep them alive. Also did enough to potentially give the game away.

I'll look at this game as one of those we usually lose. We won, I'll take it. If we finish 8-8, we'll conveniently remember the Baltimore game as one we should've won instead of remembering this snoozer. Point is, we won and we're still alive. I'll take it.

Why did we even pass the ball on that last offensive 3rd down? The bengals had 0 timeouts left and even if we dont make the 1st down we're in their territory and it wouldve put the game into the 2 minute warning with 0 timeouts left. Heck you coulda even gone for it on 4th down again if we failed on 3rd with the run. Horrible call imo.

Ive noticed that when shady is out Lynn's playcalling goes to crap. Maybe its just me.

This ^^^^

Glad he made a couple plays, but Tate is a stupid player on a team with more than enough stupid players already. WTF was he thinking when he reached in for that downed punt inside the five? The fact it was a dead ball at that point has nothing to do with it, either.

This was a bad football game on both sides, by both teams. It's pretty much exactly what I would expect the result to be if someone told me I had to watch a Bills/Bengals game where Sammy Watkins was on IR and then AJ Green, Robert Woods and Lesean McCoy are all injured before the half.

Sometimes you have to win ugly. Here's hoping that Watkins is cleared to return for Jacksonville.

Edited by JM57

Glad he made a couple plays, but Tate is a stupid player on a team with more than enough stupid players already. WTF was he thinking when he reached in for that downed punt inside the five? The fact it was a dead ball at that point has nothing to do with it, either.

Smartest play of the game, actually. It shows he knows the rule book. Once the Bengals touched it, the worst that would happen is we get the ball at that point. If he picks it up and fumbles it and the Bengals return it for a touchdown, we get the ball where they last touched it before Tate picked it up. Unusual rule, but always been the case. At least one of the announcers knew the rule.

Smartest play of the game, actually. It shows he knows the rule book. Once the Bengals touched it, the worst that would happen is we get the ball at that point. If he picks it up and fumbles it and the Bengals return it for a touchdown, we get the ball where they last touched it before Tate picked it up. Unusual rule, but always been the case. At least one of the announcers knew the rule.

This, Chris Spielman said it was an alert play by Tate.

I think the Taylor missed throw to Harvin was due to the DE on the edge and Taylors lack of height. Since Taylor is so short he had to throw it around the DE instead of being able to throw it over him which caused it to go wide

That was about as bad of pass that you can throw in that situation, no excusing that!

PEEIOD! Tyrod scares the hell out of me!

Irony.

Why did we even pass the ball on that last offensive 3rd down? The bengals had 0 timeouts left and even if we dont make the 1st down we're in their territory and it wouldve put the game into the 2 minute warning with 0 timeouts left. Heck you coulda even gone for it on 4th down again if we failed on 3rd with the run. Horrible call imo.

Ive noticed that when shady is out Lynn's playcalling goes to crap. Maybe its just me.

Yes that 3rd down call was horrible. Taylor misses on that route most of the time, especially with the smaller receivers like Goodwin and Harvin. If you think you needed a pass to get the 1st down, why not have TT rollout, which gives him the option to run if the receiver isn't open. I thought the Bills were using analytics? You'd think by now that their low percentage of successful attempts on that play would cause them to stop running it.

You're not wrong. This game just lulled me to sleep and it was hard to put this recap together. On paper, there were a lot of positives, especially our history on the road against these guys lately and the 0 points scored against in the second half. But watching the game felt VERY different.

Not surprised I wasn't the only one. During an injury timeout I was checking fantastic stats on my iPad and then started playing solitaire. The game action started again but I was more interested in solitaire. Seems to have been the norm for NFL games today after an exciting set of games last week. A new NFL record and counting for missed XPs in a week. Is this really what the NFL wanted with this rule change?

I'm looking at the remaining schedule

Jaguars

@Raiders

Steelers

Browns

Dolphins

@Jets

Win

Loss

?

Win

?

Win

Dolphins game at home on Christmas Eve is looming large if we can beat Pittsburgh. 10-6 should get us in.

10-6 maybe gets us a tie, but our conference record will cause us to lose that. We are two games back of the wild card teams right now, would probably need to go 5-1 and have them go 2-4. That's asking a lot

I'm looking at the remaining schedule

Jaguars

@Raiders

Steelers

Browns

Dolphins

@Jets

Win

Loss

?

Win

?

Win

Dolphins game at home on Christmas Eve is looming large if we can beat Pittsburgh. 10-6 should get us in.

They need to split the Raiders/Steelers games and win the rest. Their best bet, IMO, is losing to the Raiders, beating the Steelers, and hoping the Raiders win the AFC West.

Oakland still has games against KC, Indy and Denver that could help the Bills. KC has two against Denver, Oakland and Atlanta. But nothing matters if the Bills don't take care of business themselves

No discussion on Penalties?

This team continues to self-destruct with stupid penalties.

The OC keeps trying to outsmart himself with putting the ball in the hands of TT who is NOT an accurate passer this year. That 3rd down to Harvin was a 25-75 chance and it stopped the clock.