Rumor: Some in Bills org want to move on from Dareus

YoloinOhio

This again?

Pegula was very clear about how the process went down...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-the-Bills-decided-on-Rex-Ryan-as-head-coach/aa1cc736-b6c4-4af7-bfe9-4aba573bf0fd

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

- Doug Whaley

Whaley did not prefer Hue Jackson and keep Schwartz DC? honest question

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

I'll try?

Cox, Donald, Richardson, Wilkerson, Brandon Williams, kawann short, Shariff Floyd, Linval joseph, Suh, Malik Jackson, Gerald Mccoy, probably damon harrison, maybe atkins

Not sure all those guys positions exactly, but they're all pretty good

That's a good start. I would add Jurrell Casey, Kyle Williams (yep), and Calais Campbell.

I have my own list of guys that I would accept as reasonable responses:

Suh, Wilkerson, Atkins, Donald, Cox, and Short. McCoy is borderline IMO.

Richardson hasn't been anywhere near as productive, and Williams is more one-dimensional. Malik Jackson has never crested 4 sacks in a season, and he's not a great run defender...his signing was a massive joke to me (no offense to you intended here).

I think Brandon Williams is actually pretty underrated. They have the number 1 rush defense in football. If that team could run the ball like we can they might have 7 wins. They have such a bad running game its stunning.

Malik Jackson i included... but he wasn't really one of my major picks. I think joseph and floyd are both excellent. Forgot to mention him - but Poe is pretty good in KC.

Most of the like good defenses in the NFL do have solid DTs actually. It allows them to do more creative stuff because it's always tough to run, and they create mismatches for the end's and lb's in blitz packages.

Edited by dneveu

Jason Cole from Bleacher Report is the reporter

@pfrumors

Some Bills Execs Want To Dump Marcell Dareus

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/11/bills-frustrated-marcell-dareus

Wouldn't surprise me as rumblings have been coming out over the irritation some have inside about his lack of conditioning during his suspension. I bet guys like Rex still want him, because he's a major talent when on the field and motivated, but I bet the guys having to make other sacrifices in the cap over his salary are pretty sick of all that money he is tying up and how little he is on the field mostly due to self inflicted BS. I am starting to get concerned he could become the next Albert Haynesworth in regards to motivation after he got his big pay day.

Personally, he's too talented to give up on just yet IMO, but I am getting more and more open minded to seeing if we could get a bounty for him in a trade to fill other key spaces, especially since our DL has been good enough without him. If we could get a first and change for him in this next draft, I would be very intrigued if I was Whaley because we need more help in the defensive backfield than upfront and we need more weapons on offense.

So he is specifically complaining about a system that had him drop back 2 times all year.

I must say though, the system that guarantees he gets paid for not playing is a much better system.

He must be so torn, internally!

Sounds like it.

Whaley did not prefer Hue Jackson and keep Schwartz DC? honest question

I don't know....I only know that Whaley had his run at Rex, and absolutely could've dissuaded Pegs from hiring Rex if he felt strongly about it.

That's a good start. I would add Jurrell Casey, Kyle Williams (yep), and Calais Campbell.

Casey might be as good a run defender, but he's not quite Dareus as a pass rusher. Same number of sacks in 9 more games for Casey.

I like Kyle, but it's no coincidence that when given the choice, teams choose to double-team Dareus and not Kyle. That tells you all you need to know.

I wouldn't give the nod to Campbell over Dareus even if I felt they were comparable, though Campbell has played mostly 5T and 7T. Dareus has played from 0T to 3T for his entire career.

Seriously, compare the numbers for everyone listed--Dareus comes out ahead most of the time.

I cannot fathom why anyone in the organization would not be fed up with him. Look at the shape Brady came back in after his 4 games, Marcel seems like he could care less as he already got his pay day.

This caught Whaley off guard. I mean, it's not like NFL teams had any prior examples of 350+ pound DTs signing $100 million contracts and then losing all interest in staying in some manner of shape, or in playing the game of football itself. But Glass Half Full Guy sez: hey, Redskins signed gargantuan Albert Haynesworth to a gargantuan contract in 2009, dumped him after 2010, and actually won their division in 2012. Bills fans, be ready for that 2019 playoff run!

Sounds like it.

I don't know....I only know that Whaley had his run at Rex, and absolutely could've dissuaded Pegs from hiring Rex if he felt strongly about it.

Casey might be as good a run defender, but he's not quite Dareus as a pass rusher. Same number of sacks in 9 more games for Casey.

I like Kyle, but it's no coincidence that when given the choice, teams choose to double-team Dareus and not Kyle. That tells you all you need to know.

I wouldn't give the nod to Campbell over Dareus even if I felt they were comparable, though Campbell has played mostly 5T and 7T. Dareus has played from 0T to 3T for his entire career.

Seriously, compare the numbers for everyone listed--Dareus comes out ahead most of the time.

whats tough is even your list of accepted would put him 8? thats not good on a 100m deal.

hopefully we can get the guy that plays like a top 3-5 soon (because he can be that guy) and not the guy that is currently contributing much less than expected.

Minus the fact he had 10+ sack season which is unheard of for a DT.

He was the MVP of this defense for 3+ years. This defense revolved around Dareus.

Rex comes in and all of the sudden drafting Dareus was a blunder?

This is pure gold.

Count, looking back (which is admittedly easy to do), there were better picks than Marcel, and I say this as a Crimson Tide Fan. But that isn't the issue. He HAS played well, but the new contract was indefensible. He already had problems with substance Count.

Putting all those millions in his hand and waiving the clause amounted to telling Dareus TO go and get stoned!

Count, looking back (which is admittedly easy to do), there were better picks than Marcel, and I say this as a Crimson Tide Fan. But that isn't the issue. He HAS played well, but the new contract was indefensible. He already had problems with substance Count.

Putting all those millions in his hand and waiving the clause amounted to telling Dareus TO go and get stoned!

Perhaps maybe weed should be taken off of the banned substance list by the NFL......

Good point, but I COULD tell you that he already had problems and it was dumb to waive that clause. Moves like this eat cap space and prevent teams from winning.

Or maybe the NFL is outdated in its stances and should follow suit of several states that are starting to allow recreational use.

Perhaps maybe weed should be taken off of the banned substance list by the NFL......

Or maybe the NFL is outdated in its stances and should follow suit of several states that are starting to allow recreational use.

He was suspended once and did it again. After getting paid.

There is no excuse. If I break a law I disagree with, I still get punished.

What good is all that money if he can't celebrate? I bet his xbox game is improved.

These are political issues. I am not taking a side because I don't care either way. Whaley knows the system and waiving the clause was incredibly stupid.

Hey all you guys that knew Dareus was going to get suspended can you tell me the lottery numbers for the PowerBar this week?

Suspended which time?

None of this is material to this discussion. Businesses and other employers have long been free to decide whether to ban certain substance use by their employees--and test for compliance.

This is a very easy rule to follow. It's a free country, but there are rules that one is free to follow or flaunt, but accept the consequences.