OK, let's do this: Tyrod Taylor

The church of Tyrod believes no matter how terrible he plays. You can't get through to them.

They are mesmerized by the occasional broken play.

The funny part is basically what they are saying is everything else has to be in-order or "perfect" for Taylor to be effective.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philadelphia leads 23-13. Dak is 8 for 19 for 152 yards with a rushing TD. 48.6 rating. He also has thrown an interception in an end zone. What am I missing?

The rest of the game. Obviously.

The church of Tyrod believes no matter how terrible he plays. You can't get through to them.

They are mesmerized by the occasional broken play.

Yes, and really, it's the Church of the Bills.

Before Tyrod it was EJ. Now Whaley and Rex must be defended too, simply b/c they are currently the GM and coach of the Bills.

If both were fired tomorrow, the same people supporting them now would, in a few days, come to rationalize the situation and support the decision to replace them.

And then the new GM and coach would be defended as Whaley and Rex are now.

And on it goes.

This thread is about your opinion on Tyrod Talyor not on the Bills TEAM's performance yesterday. Yes the whole team failed, but this thread is about the future of TT.

TT is Rob Johnson with better escape ability. So scared to throw the INT he just doesn't throw the ball at all. He will not throw the ball unless the guy is wide open, and cannot throw them open. He cannot to win a game when the running game is shut down. He is good, just not good enough.

You can't look at one position on a team in a vacuum as it is a team game and no one player is more dependent on a supporting cast around him then the QB!

When the Bills had a better compliment of receivers Taylor played better and put up more yards. It's a fact! For some reason the GM allowed Chris Hogan to leave for the Patriots and he burned the Bills for a deep TD. Hogan 4 catches for 91 yards, one TD. The Patriots have two of the leagues best TE's in Gronk and Bennett in which opposing teams have great difficulty covering both players. The Patriots also still have two clutch first down playmakers in Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola to go along with Hogan.

Tyrod Taylor had only Robert Woods and Charles Clay who were still somewhat injured along with the rest of a craptastic receiving corps in which Walter Powell was the leading receiver, really? Clay injured during this game. Powell looked like he was getting hurt on almost every pass play.

Walter Powell 3 receptions, 8 targets!

Robert Woods 4 receptions, 7 targets!

Reggie Bush 2 receptions, 3 targets

Jerone Felton 2 receptions, 3 targets

Brandon Tate 2 receptions, 3 targets

Nick O'Leary 1 reception, 1 target

Mike Gillislee 3 receptions, 3 targets

Justin Hunter 1 reception, 5 targets

Charles Clay 2 receptions, 6 Targets

The young QB spread the ball all over to every receiver with no INT's and I gotta wonder how many passes were dropped vs off target. You would think if that many passes were off target that he would have been intercepted at least once. It was raining so that was a contributing factor in both throwing and catching today. The Patriot defenders were also hitting the receivers hard after every catch and almost every Bills receiver looked beaten up today.

1st bad pass- listed as overthrown to Hunter, it actually hit him in his hands over his head and it could have been caught. heavy rain a contributing factor.

2nd bad pass- 1st and goal pass thrown away due to pressure... late hit 7 yards out of bounds might have had an effect on Taylor as he came down hard on a surface between the stadium wall and field.

3rd bad pass- overthrown and glances off of Reggie Bush's hand in the end zone. (Clearly too high to catch)

4th bad pass- off the hands of Charles Clay (should have been caught)

5th bad pass- on a 3rd down and 6 Taylor hits Brandon Tate in the hands on the sideline (wide open) for a first down and HE DROPS IT!

6th bad pass- overthrown to Powell, way over his head

7th bad pass- on 2nd and 24 because of offensive penalties pass to Clay and Taylor lucky the pass wasn't picked off!

8th bad pass- deep ball to Charles Clay and defender his him about the same time he tried to catch the ball that went thru his hands (could have been caught) Clay hurt on this play

9th bad pass- deep pass to Justin Hunter and interference for a 1st down

10th bad pass- Taylor under pressure rolls out and throws to Felton (underthrown?) looks like the ball hit him but he didn't hold on

11th bad pass- deep ball to Hunter thrown out of bounds, uncatchable

12th bad pass- to Robert Woods, looked to be thrown behind him but could have been a bad route by Woods who didn't come out of his break properly (still, has issues with his foot)

13th bad pass- long ball to Powell who stopped the ball with his right hand but couldn't get his left hand up to catch it. Kind of overthrown

14th bad pass- underthrown to Woods on the sideline.

15th bad pass- thrown wide and behind Hunter

16th bad pass- overthrown to Powell and it looked like interference as the Patriots defender Coleman pushed him in the back and fell on his legs. should have been a penalty in my view

17th bad pass- Taylor under pressure throws it away out of the end zone

18th bad pass- Taylor under pressure by an unblocked defender on 4th down overthrows Clay in the end zone

19th bad pass - Taylor under pressure throws the ball away out of bounds

20th bad pass- Taylor under heavy pressure throws it away and takes a hard hit. Patriot defenders coming unblocked

EJ in.

On one play Taylor hands off to Reggie Bush who looks to throw it and instead tosses it backward to Taylor who is forced to recover it, meanwhile Tyrod takes a knee to his helmet. This young QB took a hell of a beating in a losing effort and if he had better receiving options he might have been able to pad his stats in garbage time like Blake Bortles does. Taylor was under heavy pressure for a lot of the second half and still managed to make plays with both his arm and legs. I have a deeper respect for Tyrod after watching him attempt to make something out of nothing most of the day while getting beaten up with late hits and unblocked defenders.

Bottom line: I only saw about 7 out of 20 passes that were literal over throws or bad passes. The Bills should have kept pounding the rock despite being behind in points simply because it would wear out that defense and eat up the clock while playing keep away from Brady. The Bills OC should have realized that with such a beaten up, depleted receiving corps the Bills would have been so much better off just running the ball as Gillislee was averaging 7.1 yards per carry. No way should Taylor be throwing the ball 38 times vs 26 rushes.

Edited by Nihilarian

Yes....frankly it is

Ball security is a huge part of the game if your going to run a running the ball dominant scheme

which everyone has pointed out - is what you do when you dont trust the passer. if you take the passer out of the game and hes still turning the ball over a lot, that is indeed particularly bad though.

What concerns me are his mental clock and awareness level. He lacks urgency and doesn't seem to have a good sense of what is happening around him in the overall context of the game. On individual plays he's dialed in - but he seems to lack a sense of the bigger "tapestry" around him. Everything is playground ball. Can this be learned? I'm not sure...

Okay, here you go. Below are the first two seasons of Tom Brady, Big Ben, EJ, JP, Bledsoe, and TT. For this year, I doubled his stats since we are at the halfway mark. I sorted by QB rating for no real reason. I did not include rushing yards or rushing TD's. Pick your top 3 QB's
Comp% Yards TD INT Rating
63.7 3035 20 6 99.4
62.7 2385 17 9 98.6
58.7 2960 18 4 87.2
63.9 2843 18 12 86.5
61.5 4359 24 15 86
62.1 3764 28 14 85.7
62.5 3051 19 14 84.9
58 838 5 3 80.3
58.8 1972 11 9 77.7
56.9 2932 20 16 76.6
59.7 3513 18 23 75.4
58.2 2860 11 12 73

I like these 4 from that group, I gave 4 because I know the top one is Tyrod.

It's important to point out that Tyrod's numbers reflect his 5th and 6th year in the league, where as the rest of your examples do not. Tyrod in his 6th year is likely at or approaching his ceiling. The others were rookies and second year guys getting their first taste of the speed of the game.

Yesterday I saw more early flushing from the pocket than I have from him in a while. One early in the third where he bailed needlessly to the left on a 3rd down where he was totally walled off and clean as a result of excellent pass pro stood out. He bailed out and then threw an uncatchable low ball (I think to Bush). There was no need to leave the pocket. I think he knows he is not playing well and it is starting to get to him.

It's important to point out that Tyrod's numbers reflect his 5th and 6th year in the league, where as the rest of your examples do not. Tyrod in his 6th year is likely at or approaching his ceiling. The others were rookies and second year guys getting their first taste of the speed of the game.

Not my examples, just picking from the options given to me. I definitely believe sitting behind Flacco gave Tyrod an edge, but I also don't believe it is as valuable as in-game experience over the same amount of time.

Not my examples, just picking from the options given to me. I definitely believe sitting behind Flacco gave Tyrod an edge, but I also don't believe it is as valuable as in-game experience over the same amount of time.

My point is that you're making an apples or oranges comparison.

If Sammy had been healthy he would not have lasted very long the way Tyrod hangs the receivers out for a big hit with poor throws. The receivers are dropping like flies because Tyrod's throws leave them so vulnerable.

On a second front our training staff must be the worst in football. How many bad hammy's have we had? Alexander, McCoy, Clay, Dareus, etc; 10? Every week it is another.

How many does NE have? None?

Love Tyrod last year, running, he may be one of the best I have ever seen.

Passing, thought after a year he would improve, have not seen it.

I have been saying all season, Cardale will be the starter next year.

I know he only played pre-season, but when he was in there, he utilized tight ends, and throws the ball over the middle, slants, crossing, posts....

Tyrod seems to mostly throw outside the numbers, and can't get anything to tight ends.

Ugh - he sucked yesterday. Probably sucks in general. I don't think there's really much to talk about from that game.

We knew we were going to get smoked. Then we got smoked.

Honestly though, he needs to run more. They lost contain on him a few times and he chucked it down the field when he easily couldve taken 10-15 yards. Those 10-15 yard scrambles frustrate coordinators, force them to account for it more, and open things up a bit more.

The option play though - what were we thinking snapping that. they overloaded the right side... even I could see the bills were going to do that option again. So you HAVE to give it to the up back there, or you don't snap it at all.

Edited by dneveu

The 1st and 3rd are TT.

Bledsoe is the only one over 4K yards. His other seasons were below 3k.

End of the day, people want to preach continuity and whatnot, but he is still equal if not better than Big Ben and Brady in their first two years. I just don't get why people don't understand this. The people at the bottom, that's your EJ.

Let the man finish the year. This whole topic is ridiculous at this point.

The 1st and 3rd are TT.

Bledsoe is the only one over 4K yards. His other seasons were below 3k.

End of the day, people want to preach continuity and whatnot, but he is still equal if not better than Big Ben and Brady in their first two years. I just don't get why people don't understand this. The people at the bottom, that's your EJ.

Let the man finish the year. This whole topic is ridiculous at this point.

Lol at Big Ben and Brady talk.