Is Tyrod anti-clutch?

GG

I think the premise of this topic is correct, but I also agree with Kzoo Mike's post above. Mr. WEO: GG is basically right in that I do think that there will be games where the D craps the bed for whatever reason and the QB has to man up and deliver (at least once). In other words, if a game becomes a shootout late, a QB has to be carrying a pretty good revolver. Incidentally, I don't even count the Titans game because a) the comeback happened pretty early and b) the defense only gave up 13 points.

Having said all of this, CONTEXT MATTERS. Anyone discussing yesterday's game has to accept the fact that he had no RB, the right side of the line was brutally manhandled all game by Suh and Wake (and even Mario), and his WR squad was basically a track star, a guy who has been frequently cut and presumably has only the dimmest of understandings of the offense (Hunter), and a slew of guys none of us had ever heard of until late into training camp.

You really do need players to win in the NFL. Minus Watkins, Woods, and Shady, he's going to struggle. And let's be honest: we all know that the Dolphins have a supremely talented D-line even if they don't always show it. They showed it yesterday. The absolutely dominated. Suh was unblockable.

Very well put! I agree 100%......I mean Tyrod literally had no help at the skill positions yesterday. The play calling was extremely ineffective and the offensive line was completely manhandled all day. The Defense got ran all over. The Bills lost as a whole unit got beat. In every aspect.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defenses are not going to win every game for you. Let's be honest about what we saw yesterday. The Bills offensively played not to lose and defensively were just gassed at the end of the game.

But could that philosophy been predicated on the fact that the team was dressing scrubs in lieu of their starters.

Yesterday was a perfect storm of the team injuries coming back to haunt them in a big way. I don't think Tyrod is clutch either, he's just not that category of QB. But there are very few "clutch" QBs in the league. Frankly, this is the worst lot of QBs I've seen in the league and I think it's reflecting in the league-wide malaise and poor ratings.

Tyrod is middle tier in today's NFL. Average at best, slightly above or below mediocre at worst.

I haven't posted in about 4 years. I'm coming out of retirement to say I completely agree with the topic of this thread. On the last TD drive of the game, Tyrod was more focused on trash talking opponents after being pushed out of bounds instead of focusing on the fact that he still had a chance to win the game. His body language for the entire drive was that of a guy who already gave up on the game. His behavior reminded me of Cam Newton clamming up in front of that fumbled ball late in Super Bowl 50.

He comes up small in the big moments and big in the small moments, just like his mouth-breathing foot-loving coach.

Great post. Totally agree with you on all counts. and love your screen name. He was my favorite player growing up. Boy, could we use another one like him now............

With over just 5 min left in the 3rd Q and up by 11 (that's UP by two scores, for you), the Bills D allowed 21 points. If they could have forced more than a single punt for the rest of the game, we wouldn't be having this conversation--the "point" is right there.

So Tyrod doesn't have to answer for not performing in clutch situations over a two year period because the defense didn't play well yesterday?

Is that really the logic we're going with?

What I've learned from this thread:

Tyrod isn't good enough to win a game on his own.

Tyrod isn't so bad he'll cost you a game either.

For Tyrod to succeed all other aspects of the team have to be functioning from defense to the running attack because he's not to be expected to factor in either winning or losing.

To sum it up: sounds like he's just along for the ride

What I've learned from this thread:

Tyrod isn't good enough to win a game on his own.

Tyrod isn't so bad he'll cost you a game either.

For Tyrod to succeed all other aspects of the team have to be functioning from defense to the running attack because he's not to be expected to factor in either winning or losing.

To sum it up: sounds like he's just along for the ride

We're no better than the Jets at the position. All we have is backups.

There are many things to like about the kid, and he clearly is not a horrible QB who will cost you games.

But it's also clear that he is not a QB who will win games for you. All aspects of the team have to line up ideally for him to come away with a W. In a league of parity though, usually the QB separates the winners from losers and there are always a handful of games where the QB needs to put the team on his back and will them to victory.

Somebody shared a tweet after last week's game that said it was the first time as a Bills that he won a game they trailed in. That wasn't technically correct, as the first was the Titans game last year. That game also counts as the only fourth quarter comeback that TT engineered, although it doesn't qualify for Pro Football Reference comebacks because Bills scored early in the quarter.

So, I looked at TT's series with Bills down by one score or less with 2-4 minutes to go in the game (so hardly desperation time). Here are the sad results:

NE1 - 0 FD - 0 Yds - 1 INT

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Phi - 0 FD - -2 Yds - 1 INT

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

Six opportunities, zero clutch drives.

I agree, I also have no confidence in him when time becomes a factor. It's better than last year but the move s-o-o-o-o s-l-o-w-l-y as if they have no sense of urgency.

My view is and has been that TT is a pretty good QB, the Bills' best since Kelly, maybe with one year from Bledsoe better than TT so far.

But is he good enough? Here's a Washington Post article about the end of their game with the Lions, very complimentary about the Lions' QB, Matt Stafford. Stafford took charge of that game and made three outstanding plays, and the Lions pulled out that victory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/10/24/a-closer-look-at-the-redskins-defense-on-the-lions-game-winning-drive/#comments

THIS is what we haven't seen from TT. Granted, Stafford had better receivers at the end of yesterday's game than TT had all game yesterday. Also, the rosy epidermises didn't really attack Stafford the way Miami was attacking the Bills' O line. Still, I can't think of a game where TT took charge the way true franchise QBs do.

My view is and has been that TT is a pretty good QB, the Bills' best since Kelly, maybe with one year from Bledsoe better than TT so far.

But is he good enough? Here's a Washington Post article about the end of their game with the Lions, very complimentary about the Lions' QB, Matt Stafford. Stafford took charge of that game and made three outstanding plays, and the Lions pulled out that victory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/10/24/a-closer-look-at-the-redskins-defense-on-the-lions-game-winning-drive/#comments

THIS is what we haven't seen from TT. Granted, Stafford had better receivers at the end of yesterday's game than TT had all game yesterday. Also, the rosy epidermises didn't really attack Stafford the way Miami was attacking the Bills' O line. Still, I can't think of a game where TT took charge the way true franchise QBs do.

He's not a true franchise QB, will most likely never be; so don't expect him to take charge like that...

This is why I would have signed him like a franchise QB (and they did). They did leave an out and they should use it. If he wants to come back next year on another proved or lose it contract great. In either case Cardale Jones looked good in the preseason give him a chance sign a vet back up (Case Keenum) and draft a QB in the second or third round so we have a year to groom him on the bench before he gets his chance (Kelly's nephew).

Probably the best analysis of the situation ever posted. People act like getting rid of him and the next guy will be Jim Kelly II. Meanwhile Tyrod has been the best QB we have had this century.

Tyrod is not good enough. That is painfully obvious. How many times has he gone back to pass this season and not thrown it? You draft a guy every year until you find the next Jim Kelly.

This is why I would have signed him like a franchise QB (and they did). They did leave an out and they should use it. If he wants to come back next year on another proved or lose it contract great. In either case Cardale Jones looked good in the preseason give him a chance sign a vet back up (Case Keenum) and draft a QB in the second or third round so we have a year to groom him on the bench before he gets his chance (Kelly's nephew).

But you aren't the GM, and you don't have absolute job security. The issue you are going to run into is that you will be fired when/if the team bottoms out.

Defenses are not going to win every game for you. Let's be honest about what we saw yesterday. The Bills offensively played not to lose and defensively were just gassed at the end of the game.

Russell Wilson has one of the best Ds around, yet he leads comebacks on a regular basis, as did the 1990s heyday Bills, and the Cowboys of the 60s-80s. You gotta have a good D, but you also gotta have a QB that doesn't lay eggs when down late. This is a real problem. Pretty much same thing happened vs Raisins. And a bunch last year.

Lack of D or no weapons did not prevent Hotrod from seeing O'Leary 10 yards in front of him on 3rd down all by his lonesome. A first there might have a big impact on the game ...

Edited by reddogblitz