Great article about the Bills-Browns playoff game in 1989

Big Turk

I remember that game so vividly. Had my 11-year old birthday party at a bowling alley a few hours before and then we came back to my house to watch the game. Still can see the Mathews pick in my mind.

I also didn't realize it at the time, but I learned years later about how Ronnie Harmon was

Caught up in potential game-fixing allegations as a college player at Iowa. I then started to wonder more about that drop...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great game, one of the best of the Jim Kelly era. Surprised no one has mentioned that the Browns playoff game was also the birth of the K-gun offense. It was the first game that the team played no-huddle from start to finish. It worked so well that they decided to start the 1990 season with it--and the rest is history.

complete with the big play highlights...

I can still see that game in my mind...Reed breaking away for a 72 yard TD, Metcalf going 90 yards for a big return TD right after we scored to take the lead...and of course Harmon dropping a perfectly thrown pas while he was wide open and the subsequent Clay Matthews INT to end it...

what a great game...and I agree, it was one of the greatest games nobody ever talks about...

https://taylorblitztimes.com/2011/12/02/the-greatest-nfl-game-never-talked-about/

This game is one of my earliest Bills memories. I think the loss, especially that play solidified my spot as a Bills fan for life. It definitely sums up my experience as a fan of this team!

One of the things I remember from after the game was that Harmon took no responsibility for the drop. He insisted that the pass was behind him and if it was a better pass he would have caught it. I think in my mind that's why I hated him after that and was thrilled the Bills cut him (pretty sure he went to San Diego and had a few decent seasons for them). If he had taken responsibility, probably would have forgiven the drop. While Harmon was with the Bills, Thurmon wasn't thrown to nearly as much as he was later, in fact, I think he didn't play on obvious passing downs.

For the Bengals game the year before, I remember Bruce was unstoppable. Only the refs and injury could stop him. Munoz couldn't handle him. But as said by someone else, there was a fandom face mask call on a sack. And he got injured (shoulder?) in the first half and didn't return.

One of the things I remember from after the game was that Harmon took no responsibility for the drop. He insisted that the pass was behind him and if it was a better pass he would have caught it. I think in my mind that's why I hated him after that and was thrilled the Bills cut him (pretty sure he went to San Diego and had a few decent seasons for them). If he had taken responsibility, probably would have forgiven the drop. While Harmon was with the Bills, Thurmon wasn't thrown to nearly as much as he was later, in fact, I think he didn't play on obvious passing downs.

For the Bengals game the year before, I remember Bruce was unstoppable. Only the refs and injury could stop him. Munoz couldn't handle him. But as said by someone else, there was a fandom face mask call on a sack. And he got injured (shoulder?) in the first half and didn't return.

i haven't checked, but didn't Thurman catch about a dozen balls that game?

On that note, last Sunday I watched the entire "no punt" game ('92) since the Bills were playing the Niners, and thought the same thing. It was incredible.

I really wish somebody with some common sense could get into the commissioner's head and help him understand that simpler is better -- you know, the time-tested K.I.S.S. principle. The NFL rule book is an overly complicated mess. They could simplify things immensely while still protecting players -- and stop focusing on nonsense like player celebrations.

I have a different opinion - nonsense like player celebrations are hurting ratings and start suspending players for them IN GAME which will get players to think twice before acting like clowns.

The deeper background on this was that Harmon had long before been accused of fixing a bowl game when he was a college star at Iowa.........and he was maybe THE BEST receiving back in the NFL at this point......and it went thru his hands like he was legally blind? Yeah, it seemed an unlikely turn of events.

Ding..this is the correct answer. Not a doubt in my mind Harmon was getting threats to do what he could to dump that game. Not saying the game was fixed, saying Harmon was crooked as crooked gets

Yeah Harmon had a great career as a receiving back out of the backfield, but didn't do much on the ground...his best season came with the Chargers when he carried 89 times for 544 yards, a very good 6.1 YPC...he was an excellent receiving back...maybe one of the best of all time...he had 582 career receptions for 6,076 yards, an average of 10.4 YPR which is ridiculous for a running back....in comparison, Thurman caught 472 passes for 4,458 yards or an average of 9.4 YPR which is still very good.

Harmon never really lived up to his 1st round draft pick status however and basically was a receiving back for most of his career...most carries he ever had in a season was 116 in his second year with the Bills...

Appears Polian realized he would never become the back they thought they were getting when they drafted him 16th overall in the 1st round in 1986 because 2 years later they took Thurman Thomas and the rest was history...Harmon's last act as a Bill was his drop of that pass in the end zone...

I was 3 rows back in the corner of the endzone where Harmon dropped the ball. Missed half of the 1st quarter getting into the "mistake by the lake." We walked into the stadium next to Jimmy Griffin. That day was the birth of the no huddle.

One of the more devastating viewing experiences of my life. Not sure I want to revisit it.

That Bills team was the best the AFC had to offer.....the only saving grace was that the 89' team would have been beaten soundly in the Super Bowl had they continued on.

HR Throwback was such a killer because that team had a good chance to defensively dominate their way to a Lombardi in a year where there wasn't a great team.

Yeah Harmon had a great career as a receiving back out of the backfield, but didn't do much on the ground...his best season came with the Chargers when he carried 89 times for 544 yards, a very good 6.1 YPC...he was an excellent receiving back...maybe one of the best of all time...he had 582 career receptions for 6,076 yards, an average of 10.4 YPR which is ridiculous for a running back....in comparison, Thurman caught 472 passes for 4,458 yards or an average of 9.4 YPR which is still very good.

Harmon never really lived up to his 1st round draft pick status however and basically was a receiving back for most of his career...most carries he ever had in a season was 116 in his second year with the Bills...

Appears Polian realized he would never become the back they thought they were getting when they drafted him 16th overall in the 1st round in 1986 because 2 years later they took Thurman Thomas and the rest was history...Harmon's last act as a Bill was his drop of that pass in the end zone...

They had long accepted that he wasn't going to become a great runner but he was a great receiving back. IMO they let him go because they didn't trust him. Still kinda' blows my mind that he got drafted in the first round considering the cloud around that Rose Bowl.......if that happened today the scrutiny might have kept him from being drafted at all.

I was at that game; drove to Pittsburgh the night before from DC on a whim, got up the next morning and driving the remaining two hours to Cleveland. Some highlights:

• Got tickets for $40 before we got out of the car by a guy selling while we waited in line to park
  • Parked right near the lake, and with the wind blowing on us, proceeded to consume ice cold Gennys
  • Of the near 80,000 fans there, at least 20,000 were Bills fans
  • OJ prowling the sidelines for NBC, with chants of "Juice, Juice!" ringing in his ears
  • Bebee with the body flip head stand
  • During the Bills final drive, everyone was standing, with the guy next to me pissing in an empty Jack Daniels bottle
  • The "Harmon Drop" was in our end zone, and even after watching countless replays, I still contend the pass was catchable, but I would hardly call it a "drop."
  • Driving back to DC after the game and listening to the SU game on WHAM and getting thumped by 'Nova for their first loss of the season

On that note, last Sunday I watched the entire "no punt" game ('92) since the Bills were playing the Niners, and thought the same thing. It was incredible.

I really wish somebody with some common sense could get into the commissioner's head and help him understand that simpler is better -- you know, the time-tested K.I.S.S. principle. The NFL rule book is an overly complicated mess. They could simplify things immensely while still protecting players -- and stop focusing on nonsense like player celebrations.

This.

Take all the tech, headsets, etc... Out of the game too.

This.

Take all the tech, headsets, etc... Out of the game too.

There are less plays in a game now then in the Bills glory days. Rule changes to keep the game clock running more often, limit the amount of actual game time played. Less plays reduce the chances of exciting plays. Those rules were implemented to keep the games from running over 3 hours, they had nothing to do with enhancing the quality of the game and in my opinion, hurt the game.

Having a college league that is very poor at producing NFL style QB's hurts the league as well.

Edited by klos63

One of the reasons they let Harmon go as I heard it was that he was an !@#$ and hated. He once passed around a football in the Bills locker room for autographs on it but only wanted black players to sign it, and wouldn't let Andre Reed sign because he wasn't black enough. Reed has a white mother.

One of the reasons they let Harmon go as I heard it was that he was an !@#$ and hated. He once passed around a football in the Bills locker room for autographs on it but only wanted black players to sign it, and wouldn't let Andre Reed sign because he wasn't black enough. Reed has a white mother.

Wow! He was a man ahead of his time! Let's wheel him out there for the 2020 Election!

:-/