Jim Monos is One to Watch as a Future NFL GM

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like that would be quite a loss. We've picked up some amazing talent that is getting results I didn't see coming. I'd like a few more years of that.

They tell us we are talented but are we really? We've been an average team for a long time and that is because we have average talent. It really is amazing how we have maintained mediocrity for so long.

They tell us we are talented but are we really? We've been an average team for a long time and that is because we have average talent. It really is amazing how we have maintained mediocrity for so long.

We are much more talented now (last 2 years) BB than we have been for a long time. Now that isn't to say we have a perfect roster but no NFL team does. It is also fair to say we are still below average at the most important position, but overall the talent level on this team far outstrips anything that the Gailey or Jauron teams had.

I like Monos. Think he will be a good GM.

Edited by GunnerBill

:thumbsup:

If Monos leaves to be a GM someplace it will mean the Bills have had success. Be happy for him and that. Whaley knows how to find young talent.

Absolutely, what a playoff run over the last ten years. We are one game away from the SB!

We'll see where the perception of this team comes in. Win a few games, they are great. They may get to 5-2.... the hype will reach a fever pitch. Extensions to jauron and fitz.

Im still waiting to see what happens when the bullets fly in the middle part of that schedule starting with new england. They win a few games in there and this team is different than the past

I read the latest MMQB article on Lorenzo Alexander and it was interesting that he said that Rex is the one who had wanted to sign him since he was the jets coach.

This got me thinking... we know that Tyrod was all Rex and now it appears that Alexander was too. Who else was? Take those two out and do you still have the same opinion of Monos and Whaley on their recent free agency success?

I am still of the opinion that their draft history has been questionable and they have not done a good job filling one of the most important positions on the field, WR. We seem to take the old Oakland approach by drafting speed guys instead of guys with a history of success in college.

:thumbsup:

Absolutely, what a playoff run over the last ten years. We are one game away from the SB!

What does the roster of 2006 have to do with the 2016 roster? What mistakes did Whaley and Monos make in 2009? Monos actually won a Super Bowl that year.

This is my biggest pet peeve on the board by far. Each team and year is different. You can only judge personnel people by the roster that they assembled. To hold them accountable for decisions when they were with other teams is beyond asinine.

I've said that the talent on this roster is above average and exceeds the record. The coaching has been much better over the last 3 weeks and you are seeing the results. If you don't like the moves over the last 3 years (or whatever it's been) go ahead and trash Whaley, Monos, Fisher and company. What happened prior to them couldn't be less relevant to the conversation.

I read the latest MMQB article on Lorenzo Alexander and it was interesting that he said that Rex is the one who had wanted to sign him since he was the jets coach.

This got me thinking... we know that Tyrod was all Rex and now it appears that Alexander was too. Who else was? Take those two out and do you still have the same opinion of Monos and Whaley on their recent free agency success?

I am still of the opinion that their draft history has been questionable and they have not done a good job filling one of the most important positions on the field, WR. We seem to take the old Oakland approach by drafting speed guys instead of guys with a history of success in college.

I have never seen anything that would suggest we KNOW signing TT was ALL Rex. But, many always say it to be gospel.

The pro personnel department has been clicking lately, that's for sure. From my standpoint they're better at evaluating defense, where they've found quality depth at almost every position in recent years:

D-line - Worthy, Douzable, Bryant

LB - Brown, Alexander

CB - White

Safety - Corey Graham

Offense has been less of a success. They really haven't found a WR and the jury is still out on Clay. I guess you can give them credit for Richie and Mills on the line. Shady fell in their laps (Philly called us) and the team needlessly overpaid him. Then again... Tyrod? I guess finding an above-average QB off of the scrap heap counts for something, so maybe I'm underestimating the impact of pro personnel on offense. I just see a dearth of skill position players there and, to my mind, they've missed opportunities to add free agent talent at WR, TE, RT, maybe RB.

The pro personnel department has been clicking lately, that's for sure. From my standpoint they're better at evaluating defense, where they've found quality depth at almost every position in recent years:

D-line - Worthy, Douzable, Bryant

LB - Brown, Alexander

CB - White

Safety - Corey Graham

Offense has been less of a success. They really haven't found a WR and the jury is still out on Clay. I guess you can give them credit for Richie and Mills on the line. Shady fell in their laps (Philly called us) and the team needlessly overpaid him. Then again... Tyrod? I guess finding an above-average QB off of the scrap heap counts for something, so maybe I'm underestimating the impact of pro personnel on offense. I just see a dearth of skill position players there and, to my mind, they've missed opportunities to add free agent talent at WR, TE, RT, maybe RB.

spikes, gillislee, hunter, Blanton too

What does the roster of 2006 have to do with the 2016 roster? What mistakes did Whaley and Monos make in 2009? Monos actually won a Super Bowl that year.

This is my biggest pet peeve on the board by far. Each team and year is different. You can only judge personnel people by the roster that they assembled. To hold them accountable for decisions when they were with other teams is beyond asinine.

I've said that the talent on this roster is above average and exceeds the record. The coaching has been much better over the last 3 weeks and you are seeing the results. If you don't like the moves over the last 3 years (or whatever it's been) go ahead and trash Whaley, Monos, Fisher and company. What happened prior to them couldn't be less relevant to the conversation.

I agree that each and every year is different because the roster never stays the same. But is the roster talent above average because of great drafting and decently priced free agents?

O-line- the best player by far is a free agent that no other team wanted in Incognito. That the HC vouched for him and his all-pro play elevated the players next to him. The next best are second round LT, first round pick at C and a third-rounder at RG who has started to play above where he was drafted. The last player at RT is still somewhat questionable as is the depth. The coaching recently has also elevated the line play that used to have so many bums over the years.

WR corps-Sammy Watkins best WR by far cost three draft picks and two of those first rounders...and has been injury prone his entire career. Second round pick Robert Woods hasn't come close to what the Green Bay Packers find in the second round all the time. The team is still lacking a big, tough over the middle WR and that big, tall red zone target WR.

QB- the HC found this young man who is very limited with his passing ability and really only works well in a run first offense and when the run game is working. The backup QB a first-rounder who has yet to show he was worth that first-round pick. A 4th round QB who is as raw as they come and may develop into something down the road.

TE- an over-priced free agent that has a difficult time staying healthy. This team could still use a top blocking player who is also an asset as a pass catcher... or three. Gragg started to look like a valued player until he ended up on IR.

RB- probably the best player on offense by far makes the entire offense work when he brings his A game. The Eagles initiated this trade and if not for some great luck from a very stupid RB who chose to play elsewhere the Bills would have been on the hook for an over-priced slug! Still, the Bills needed to overpay for talent that they couldn't find in the draft.

From what I see this team wasn't built on offense primarily because of great scouting, great drafting, and reasonably priced free agent players. The mere fact that CJ Spiller chose to go to NO and the team offered him a decent amount to stay shows me that some people in the Bills FO really just get very, very lucky at times. Without LeSean McCoy, who is doing his Barry Sanders impression, this offense is a big dud.

For sure the Bills FO, scouts can properly evaluate defensive players far better than offensive players. Still, that ignoramus of a Colts GM initiated the trade for his first round stud linebacker away for a Buffalo Bills third round scrub. If I'm the owner of the Colts I'd have long since fired him for that moronic move. The Bills didn't find Jerry Hughes in the draft, nor did they find Mario who it took a 100 million dollars to get him into Buffalo. I still have a problem with the Buffalo Bills doctors and talent evaluators who keep drafting and finding players who have difficulty in staying healthy.

Bottom line: does this team have some great talent? Yes! On paper and yet to be realized fully on the field in getting to the playoffs. A hodgepodge of top talent at various positions with little or no depth at some. Not exactly the best way to build a playoff team IMHO.

Edited by Nihilarian

So far, it looks like Rex had a big hand in signing All-pro LG Richie Incognito- QB Tyrod Taylor. Rex was also chasing OG / OT La'el Collins and he dined with him last offseason to lure him to Buffalo. Instead, the Cowboys signed him and started him at LG. So, all he did was pancake people to help the Cowboys as the #1 O-line in the league last year.

I just can't even imagine how good the Bills line could be with both Incognito and Collins at OG. Rex also wanted to bring in some defensive players last year and for some reason that didn't happen. I do believe he also had a hand in signing Percy Harvin who didn't pan out due to injury. If this team makes the playoffs this year it will be because Rex had a big hand in finding players to help the team get there.

As per Rex on Monday he liked Alexander when he was at the Redskins then had lost track of him. It was Whaley who came to Rex with the name of Alexander in the offseason (to be a core ST guy) and Rex remembered him from before and supported the move.

Whaley and Monos have done a great job in free agency.

We are much more talented now (last 2 years) BB than we have been for a long time. Now that isn't to say we have a perfect roster but no NFL team does. It is also fair to say we are still below average at the most important position, but overall the talent level on this team far outstrips anything that the Gailey or Jauron teams had.

I like Monos. Think he will be a good GM.

I need to see it on the field an not on paper. I remember when every new GM cam in and was like yeah the talent here sux but know it's much better. but nothing has changed.

Don't ever change.

truth

Of course, this has been proven multiple times with irrefutable evidence, conversely the EJ signing is all Whaley and nothing what-so-ever to do with Nix.