Jim Monos is One to Watch as a Future NFL GM

I read the latest MMQB article on Lorenzo Alexander and it was interesting that he said that Rex is the one who had wanted to sign him since he was the jets coach.

This got me thinking... we know that Tyrod was all Rex and now it appears that Alexander was too. Who else was? Take those two out and do you still have the same opinion of Monos and Whaley on their recent free agency success?

I am still of the opinion that their draft history has been questionable and they have not done a good job filling one of the most important positions on the field, WR. We seem to take the old Oakland approach by drafting speed guys instead of guys with a history of success in college.

No reason to take those two out. There is no player in the league Whaley and Monos don't know about. Because Rex wanted Tyrod does not mean it was all Rex. The Pro Personnel people know every player available. If there were other FA QB's commensurate to Tyrod, and Rex preferred Tyrod, then the GM would try to make that happen.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to take those two out. There is no player in the league Whaley and Monos don't know about. Because Rex wanted Tyrod does not mean it was all Rex. The Pro Personnel people know every player available. If there were other FA QB's commensurate to Tyrod, and Rex preferred Tyrod, then the GM would try to make that happen.

Yeah, I don't get the whole "this was a Rex acquisition" thing. I don't think that's quite how it works.

Yeah, I don't get the whole "this was a Rex acquisition" thing. I don't think that's quite how it works.

Sometimes people describe the operation of a football team like it is a scene from that Pixar Movie Inside Out. Everybody scrambling to wrest control of the command panel. I'm sure that Rex might say, "Hey, he's a good QB stuck behind Flaco." But I doubt it is like Rex can sneak into Whaley's office and secretly sign TT. That would be rogue!

Sorry, but you're still missing the point. Blame the current cast of characters for what they have done, if you wish. But they can not be held accountable for sins that preceded them. The good news is, I won't blame you for the clown your great grandfather voted for for President.

I mean, we don't even have the same owner!

Wow, you have quite the intellect; pretty deep!

Are we sure that even though Rex's vast player knowledge has come into play, it still is honestly a team effort to locate and recruit these players?

I think it silly to give any one man credit.

Just media fodder

It's not media fodder as Whaley had his chance in 2014 to sign Richie Incognito who was sitting out the entire year and the Bills had the very worst offensive line in the league and were in desperate need of a top OG. Rex Ryan came in and said sign him and I'll vouch for him! http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2015/02/07/richie-incognito-rex-ryan-contract-jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins/23040525/

Here is an article that states that Rex Ryan hand picked Tyrod Taylor and wanted to sign the kid when he was with the Jets. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rex-ryan-hand-picked-qb-tyrod-taylor-wanted-him-with-jets/

Rex Ryan dining with La'el Collins to attempt to secure him for Buffalo http://buffalonews.com/2015/05/04/reports-bills-coach-rex-ryan-dining-with-lael-collins-in-louisiana/

This year I think we all see what kind of impact a player that Rex has targeted can accomplish in Lorenzo Alexander and who knows if the defensive players he wanted last year would have had significant impact or not. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2016/09/08/surprising-alexander-earned-chance-start-bills/89995716/

While so many fans raving about how good the Bills scouts and Whaley, Monos are I just wanted to point out that it wasn't all them either.

I slammed Rex Ryan so much, so often last year for his 2015 defense and yet still praised him for the players he wanted to help build his style of team. This year I have nothing but praise for Rex stepping back and allowing Dennis Thurman to call the defensive plays along with the insight to fire his OC and promote someone better.