The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

Geez, man. Do a forum search. If you're hung up on specific phrases, certainly you recall that Rex was blamed for Mario's putrid stats last year by many. The bottom line is that Mario could have been doing all of the things Lorax is doing now, last season, and instead he bitched and quit, and has proven through five games this season that it was all him.

There is no excuse for not putting forth effort -- even if the defense is complicated to learn.

I'm pretty sure even the words "Rex ruined Mario" were used. A lot of "OMG dropping back into coverage", and I believe criticism for Mario lining opposite a WR one play as the defining moment of Rex Ryan's 2015 Bills Defense.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone actually say that? That "Rex ruined Mario"? Anyone? Much less a crowd?

I recall some people saying Mario was right that he shouldn't be covering passes. I disagreed, as it only happened a few times and even guys like Von Miller are used that way occasionally. I recall saying Rex wasn't using him right, but not a single one saying "Rex ruined Mario".

Straw man? Or did I miss a crowd saying that somewhere?

Not mentioned here is that if you can't ever get to the qb and you're a 6' 6 playing DE', you're more valuable to the team dropping into a passing lane and going for a batted ball or screwing up timing on the short stuff than you are being a non-factor in pressuring the qb.

Now the Dolphins are on to poor Mario. On whom can Mario blame his lack of production (read lack of effort) now?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/13/dolphins-want-mario-williams-to-play-harder-and-play-better/

P.S. This is a PFT article from just this afternoon so . . . no . . . this is not an old, dead horse. It is a horse that does not give any effort and just seems like it might be dead.

Edited by Peter

Players didn't get sacks in Rex's system last year.

Sure they did as the 2015 Bills defense got a whopping 21 sacks in 16 games :lol: Rex didn't ruin one player as he ruined an entire defensive line of all pro players in 2015.

Dunno why some fans simply can't be happy that this year's defense is doing so well without Mario and the Phins with Mario are falling on their face. I'm crazy happy the Bills are currently #4 in sacks this year!

Let...it...go!

Sure they did as the 2015 Bills defense got a whopping 21 sacks in 16 games :lol: Rex didn't ruin one player as he ruined an entire defensive line of all pro players in 2015.

Dunno why some fans simply can't be happy that this year's defense is doing so well without Mario and the Phins with Mario are falling on their face. I'm crazy happy the Bills are currently #4 in sacks this year!

Let...it...go!

You. Telling somebody to let it go. Oh, that's fantastic.

Did Rex suck last year or did he simply not have the players and buy in to run his D scheme

cuz that D is looking pretty good now

The Bills are #15 in total defense. Last year they were #19.

I think a little perspective is required. They are 3-2 not 5-0.

Edited by vincec

have you watch Miami to see how he is actually playing? See his scheme responsibilities? See the defense he is on?

Even of Mario was assigned to get to the qb the releases are pretty damn quick and he can't get there that fast. They have **** for dB's. **** for lbs. The dolfins are running a system similar to wannstadts. Pressure all four have lbs to read and react. Have CBS that keep it outside and safety duo that cleans up. Miamis defense is awful and its not because of Mario Williams. Its because the defense is awful and anyone from JJ watt to Bobby bouche couldn't fix it.

Teams haven't run at Mario, teams haven't even ran outside. They're going up the middle.

Disirregardless. What Mario is doing in Miami is nothing at all with how he did in Buffalo with Rex. Rex could not utilize a pro bowl player. If that's not fact then y'all need to learn your facts again.

Wow. Take the L bud, stay down.

Where are you watching all these Miami games at ? I've seen a quarter or two. Snoozefest

Edited by Ryan L Billz

The Bills are #18 in total defense. Last year they were #14.

Actually, the Bills are currently ranked 5th in points allowed and 15th in yards allowed. #4 in sacks and have the #1 sacker in the league. 6th in INT's, 8th in tackles

Actually, the Bills are currently ranked 5th in points allowed and 15th in yards allowed. #4 in sacks and have the #1 sacker in the league. 6th in INT's, 8th in tackles

You are correct #15 this year, #19 last year. Still, average by definition. I think hailing Rex's returned genius is a little premature.

Edited by vincec

The Dolphins are surprised? Mario played 2 games against them last year and had I believe a total of ONE (1) tackle. Zach Brown just came of an 18 tackle game? You just keep paying the man those big bucks down in FL. I really don't think he's over the hill, I remember seeing him flash on a play or 2 last year. "WOW, where did THAT come from?" I think the problem is mostly between his ears.

Now the Dolphins are on to poor Mario. On whom can Mario blame his lack of production (read lack of effort) now?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/13/dolphins-want-mario-williams-to-play-harder-and-play-better/

P.S. This is a PFT article from just this afternoon so . . . no . . . this is not an old, dead horse. It is a horse that does not give any effort and just seems like it might be dead.

I was going to toss this up here. Nice job to beat me to it!

He has become a sad story.

But I hope folks here have become bit humbled about this whole Rex and Mario thing from last year.

Preston Brown has, thats for sure, and how is Nigel doing these days?

Dareus??

There is not always a definitive right and wrong.

:flirt: But I was right.

dig deeper my Friend.

When watching games, it is night and day

The Dolphins are surprised? Mario played 2 games against them last year and had I believe a total of ONE (1) tackle. Zach Brown just came of an 18 tackle game? You just keep paying the man those big bucks down in FL. I really don't think he's over the hill, I remember seeing him flash on a play or 2 last year. "WOW, where did THAT come from?" I think the problem is mostly between his ears.

But the year before i think he owned them. My memory is shot and I don't do stats. hell of a combination, mind you !

I was going to toss this up here. Nice job to beat me to it!

He has become a sad story.

But I hope folks here have become bit humbled about this whole Rex and Mario thing from last year.

Preston Brown has, thats for sure, and how is Nigel doing these days?

Dareus??

Ha! That's awesome. I don't know who to blame for last year, as there's a lot to go around. I freely admit some of my vitriol is as much related to his big mouth "look at me" style as his coaching. It's just not my style and I tend not to like it in others. Win, and I don't give a hoot!

You are putting too much emphasis on gross yards. If they were middle of the road in other D categories, total yards would tell more of the story. Their gross yards against are more reflective of the single bad outing vs. the Jets and one bad outing in a small number of games is going to skew things a bit. 5th in points allowed is most telling.

Ha! That's awesome. I don't know who to blame for last year, as there's a lot to go around. I freely admit some of my vitriol is as much related to his big mouth "look at me" style as his coaching. It's just not my style and I tend not to like it in others. Win, and I don't give a hoot!

Well i will be the first to admit that last year was a disaster on D. But, I was not looking to blame as much as i noticed some players were not playing so well. And then i started keying on 94 at the snap and looking up screen after while having my eye on movement/push against the RT. Curiouser and curiouser it became till I stared watching all 22 clips around the first quarter of the season.

Rex is our Coach. Like it or not. You can decide how to deal with it each and everyone of us.

Mario decided not to. and that is shameful behaviour from any Man

Well i will be the first to admit that last year was a disaster on D. But, I was not looking to blame as much as i noticed some players were not playing so well. And then i started keying on 94 at the snap and looking up screen after while having my eye on movement/push against the RT. Curiouser and curiouser it became till I stared watching all 22 clips around the first quarter of the season.

Rex is our Coach. Like it or not. You can decide how to deal with it each and everyone of us.

Mario decided not to. and that is shameful behaviour from any Man

If you could hear me on game day (as my son and the neighbors do), you'd know I'm fully behind the Bills. And, since Rex IS the coach, I'm all in as long as it lasts. I'm not a fan of his style, but I want nothing more than for the guy to win. Winning solves all. :)

Players didn't get sacks in Rex's system last year.

Thats right, players didnt buy in, or they didnt study the playbook enough, cuz look at our sack totals this year! We are close to eclipsing last years sack totals and were only in week 6! AND we dont have our 1st and 2nd round super picks playing!!

2015 Bills: 21 Sacks TOTAL

2016 Bills: 17 Sacks AFTER 5 WEEKS! (for the geeks out there that, extrapolates to 54 total sacks this season!)

Ill drink a beer to that C.BiscuitBreh! :beer:

Wow. Take the L bud, stay down.

Where are you watching all these Miami games at ? I've seen a quarter or two. Snoozefest

Im calling it a crusade. Ive seen them and its pretty much the same MW from last year. Cant beat his one on ones, and the one time he did get in the backfield the RB broke his tackle.

2q0nhv.jpg

dig deeper my Friend.

When watching games, it is night and day

But the year before i think he owned them. My memory is shot and I don't do stats. hell of a combination, mind you !

Wow that article was pretty damning! Feels good to be right dont it! :lol: The stats might not say much but if you were to watch a game from last year and watch a game from this year, The Bills are a totally different team! Stay positive friends! :thumbsup:

EDIT: hate to be a shlong but, SCOTTLAW where you at brehski?? I think im up so far eh?

Edited by Marty McFly