TNF: Creamsicle Dolphins at Bengals

YoloinOhio

Hate is a strong word. Most of us are simply calling it like we see it. I even saw Mario drop into coverage on a play last night -- the horror!

The horror was the OL and Ryan Tannehill dealing with pressure. He must not be able to call protections, or he calls it wrong every play. I tend to blame the QB when an OL has no idea who they are blocking. That OL was confused and playing on their heal all game.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me I didnt use the only people that grade every single play of a game? You dont have to agree with it, but until you grade every single play you really cant comment. Typically when I have tried to compare my grades to theirs in the past its pretty equal.

I know he is paid to get pressure and sacks, so if he doesn't people jump all over him and call him disinterested.

They grade each play, not knowing anything about what defensive or offensive play is called. They don't know players assignments and they aren't former players or former coaches or former anything. There is literally no qualification required to becoming a PFF "analyst". They'll "teach you" how to watch. There grading system means very very little.

That being said, I've watched all of the Dolphins games. Mario doesn't look great and looks exactly like he did last year. That's not hate, that's what I've seen with my own two eyes.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

The horror was the OL and Ryan Tannehill dealing with pressure. He must not be able to call protections, or he calls it wrong every play. I tend to blame the QB when an OL has no idea who they are blocking. That OL was confused and playing on their heal all game.

Tanny holds the ball too long and thinks too much before he throws. Also has no feel for where the pressure is coming from.

They grade each play, not knowing anything about what defensive or offensive play is called. They don't know players assignments and they aren't former players or former coaches or former anything. There is literally no qualification required to becoming a PFF "analyst". They'll "teach you" how to watch. There grading system means very very little.

That being said, I've watch all of the Dolphins games. Mario doesn't look great and looks exactly like he did last year. That's not hate, that's what I've seen with my own two eyes.

PFF has only gained respect over the last few years. Research them a little more.

Your criticism of them is their grade disagrees with what you think you are seeing. Thats exactly what your post reads like.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

That being said, I've watched all of the Dolphins games. Mario doesn't look great and looks exactly like he did last year. That's not hate, that's what I've seen with my own two eyes.

This. Two seasons ago I inquired into the process of becoming one of their "analysts" and was astounded at how little these rankings actually relate to what players may or may not have been asked to do.

PFF has only gained respect over the last few years. Research them a little more.

Your criticism of them is their grade disagrees with what you think you are seeing. Thats exactly what your post reads like.

Actually I have, thanks. Where exactly have they gained respect? Teams don't use their rankings. I know EXACTLY what is required to become an analyst for them, I've read the job specification.

What I think i'm seeing? Please tell me more about how I don't know what I'm seeing.

PFF has some value, but almost never tells the whole story on a player.

Thats pretty much it. It can never tell the whole story. I do find their OL and DL ratings pretty accurate. Those are probably the easiest to watch and grade.

I dont know how they grade a DB, unless he is in man coverage or making a tackle. QB grades are suspect. WR grades are nearly impossible unless they are making a catch or dropping a pass. LB grades are difficult as well, we dont know their run fits or coverage assignment.

Actually I have, thanks. Where exactly have they gained respect? Teams don't use their rankings. I know EXACTLY what is required to become an analyst for them, I've read the job specification.

What I think i'm seeing? Please tell me more about how I don't know what I'm seeing.

Teams do use their rankings. They are hired by NFL teams.

Neil Hornsby isn’t doing this solely as a labor of love, though that’s precisely how his business, Pro Football Focus, began nine years ago in Luton, England, some 30 miles north of London. Living stateside since October, he now counts 13 NFL teams—40% of the league—as clients, including seven teams from this season’s playoff field. He also oversees a staff of roughly 80 full- and part-time employees who watch countless hours of game footage from their home offices in California, Northern Ireland and seemingly everywhere in between.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/25/pro-football-focus-nfl-neil-hornsby-cris-collinsworth-analytics

Edited by TheTruthHurts

So I have spoken to Neil personally. Even he doesn't claim their grades tell the whole story.

I have had some vehement disagreements with their grades over the years. The grades that The Truth Hurts posted here... are they through 4 games or just for this week's TNF? I did not watch TNF (it is 1.30am over here so I only watch if it is the Bills or a really interesting match up) but I have watched the Dolphins first 3 games and even as a big Mario Williams fan he has not looked the same player he was when he first arrived in Buffalo for example.

At the same time I have only watched the broadcast angles of those Dolphins games. The only games I tend to watch the all 22 of are the Bills game and the game of our next opponent.

Mario Williams is on par for a 20 tackle 4 sack season. Obviously it will vary as the season goes on, but we aren't missing that production.

This is a system that he claimed was "that much sweeter". Different scheme, same or less production. He needs to step it up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000696688/article/mario-williams-miami-scheme-that-much-sweeter

i thought that too watching him last year. Didn't have any burst.

There are a few in the pro personnel ranks who agree. They've been saying for a while that MW seems to lack the explosion he displayed previously. The sheer amount of single blocking he's been getting since early last season seems to bear that out.

He can go on to have a worse year statistically than last season, but if he does ANYTHING vs. the Bills, that is all some around here will need for justification.

Mario Williams is on par for a 20 tackle 4 sack season. Obviously it will vary as the season goes on, but we aren't missing that production.

This is a system that he claimed was "that much sweeter". Different scheme, same or less production. He needs to step it up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000696688/article/mario-williams-miami-scheme-that-much-sweeter

Football requires a player to go all out on each and every snap if you play on either side of the line. Mario isn't that type of player and it looks like he goes in and out of being engaged.

He's so physically capable of dominating that, when he's in it - watch out, he can ball. The issue is he doesn't have enough passion, IMO, to ever truly get the most out of his physical ability. When he gives enough, you can love his game as a fan - when he's not giving max effort he's one frustrating SOB to have on your team.

Mario is a power rusher. His main move is to bull rush and then use the swim move late depending on where the QB is located at that time. This requires an extreme amount of physical effort. The contrasting speed rusher ie, Hughes - takes more stamina/endurance. They're both mental grinds and both player types have to commit.

Edited by Triple Threat