How big contracts have backfired for the Bills

Guys- I'm sure you can read the article on the main board, but I find it silly. Outside of Mario Williams who did give us 39 sacks in three years before his revolt, was productive. Almost every other example was from the previous regimes.

The premise is basically "Is Whaley making a mistake by drafting well and paying off with big contracts". It's the most asinine topic as that is exactly what the top franchises do. The Packers, Steelers, and so on.

Whaley has been doing the right thing by resigning Hughes, Incognito, Kyle, and so on. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Guys- I'm sure you can read the article on the main board, but I find it silly. Outside of Mario Williams who did give us 39 sacks in three years before his revolt, was productive. Almost every other example was from the previous regimes.

The premise is basically "Is Whaley making a mistake by drafting well and paying off with big contracts". It's the most asinine topic as that is exactly what the top franchises do. The Packers, Steelers, and so on.

Whaley has been doing the right thing by resigning Hughes, Incognito, Kyle, and so on. Happy to hear your thoughts.

I would not touch Gilmore, he is not an elite or even great corner.

The article asks whether or not the large contracts recently given several players will be money well spent - which is a fair question - but then it goes on to list a bunch of failed guys who have nothing to do with them. Pretty pointless exercise IMO. Attempting to answer the original question would've required researching those players and their contracts.

I still think Dareus will pay off. His potential in this defence is unlimited, but if he keeps screwing up, he'll be gone.

I think people mature alot in their mid twenties, so Im hoping that hes turning the page on being a moron.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/

One of the main points I think the article should've delved into is the amount of guaranteed and front loaded money in the large contracts Whaley has signed players to. Players like Dareus can screw up, but they can't be cut for years due to their dead money. It's definitely a risky strategy and while I won't say it's definitely a bad move - at least not in every case - it's certainly something that's worth debating.

Gleason or Sully? I don't click there anymore.

Skurski. Don't bother, he is just trolling. Honestly, it must embarrassing for him to have to write this kind of article.

One of the main points I think the article should've delved into is the amount of guaranteed and front loaded money in the large contracts Whaley has signed players to. Players like Dareus can screw up, but they can't be cut for years due to their dead money. It's definitely a risky strategy and while I won't say it's definitely a bad move - at least not in every case - it's certainly something that's worth debating.

This would have made it a much more interesting and intelligent article, but alas Skurski decided to only fish with clickbait on this outing.

Skursky wrote the article. Seriously though, what the hell is going on with the Buffalo News? They're always negative towards the Bills - but they've really ratcheted up the hate significantly this offseason, and it seems to be hitting a crescendo right now. It's just totally depressing - I wonder if TBD should stop linking to it on the main page. With the season a week away, you'd think they'd be a bit more positive, or at least neutral.

The article:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/03/how-big-contracts-have-backfired-on-the-bills/

MGK - have to agree that this is holiday eke do reporting. Call it page filler. The underlying problem in this stretch is the Bills did not have an NFL caliber HC nor an NFL caliber QB.

completely disagree, and thankfully so does our upper management.

Barley - I agree your premise would be a worthwhile article, really looking into money spent on players and balancing against worth with the focus on guaranteed money, and from the Whaley tenure. I don't care about Jauron or Derrick Dockery. What does that have to do with Whaley's decisions?

You could maybe go back to Nix as Whaley is a continuation of what Nix started. But here's the kicker, look at the players we've picked up on the cheap and turned out to be good players. It would be a much more balanced story, but that would take a lot of prep, vs. something to dump in Sunday's paper. If anyone from the BN is reading which I doubt, I'm normally very fair about your reporting. I liked Dunne, Skursky, and Vic. Heck I worked there through college and knew over half the building when there.