Keys for 2016 Playoff berth

bisonbrigade

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading into Kickoff Weekend I put the floor for this team at 7 wins and the ceiling as high as 12. 7 wins would be a disaster and 12 is probably too lofty of a goal with the schedule they have but that's why it's a ceiling.

The overall ingredients for a playoff birth have been stated by a lot of folks in this thread already, health being paramount. With the suspensions and injuries, this team really is thin at certain spots and any sort of long term injury to the triplets or the interior Oline would be devastating to their playoff hopes.

Beyond staying healthy, something they can't really control, let's talk about what they can control: communication. For me that's the second biggest key. It's year two of both systems, year two for the staff and player relationships, the coaches know what the players like and have a better understanding of their abilities. This continuity (buzzword alert), in theory, should help the coaches communicate better and put the players in positions where they're more likely to make plays on both sides of the ball. Most NFL games are decided by just a few plays a game, having excellent communication can really tip the scales in your favor when those key plays happen.

Those are the two big general keys to ending the drought, but in terms of nuts and bolts of the games themselves I like to break the season down by quarters:

Quarter 1: @BAL, NYJ, ARZ, @NE -- The Bills really have to go 3-1 in the opening stretch. They could survive a 2-2 start (so long as both those wins are against the Jets and P*ts) but it'd be much more difficult. I think they need to get 5 divisional wins to have a chance, that means sweeping the Jests and Fins and splitting with NE.

Quarter 2: @LA, SF, @MIA, NE -- 2-2 wouldn't be killer, especially if they managed to get 3 wins in the first quarter of the year, but 3-1 is the real key. They're simply better than the Rams, Niners and Dolphins and if they want to make the playoffs they have to beat the teams they should even on the road. Plus, if they can find a way to head into October 30th on a 3 or 4 game winning streak, the 12th man at New Era might be enough to give the Bills the game against NE Br*dy or no Br*dy.

Halfway mark: 6-2 / 5-3... anything less spells trouble

Quarter 3: @SEA, @CIN, JAX, @OAK -- They have to go at least 2-2 in my mind but could survive a 1-3 stretch here if they got 6 in the opening half of the year. This is a brutal stretch, but the Bills do have the benefit of a bye week and our first pick should be playing himself back into form during this stretch which could be a boon.

Quarter 4: PIT, CLE, MIA, @NYJ -- 3-1, it just can't be less than that. Three home games, two divisional opponents (both of whom the Bills are better than and thus have to beat) -- anything less than three wins here would sink their playoff hopes. There's a strong chance they'll need to go 4-0 here to seal it.

Jan 1st: 11-5 / 10-6

This is the year the drought ends. :beer:

The defense needs to be better than last year. The offense can do a little better than last year. However,Hotrod has to come through late to get us a few wins. Had he done that last year and won 1/2 of the 2 Patsies games (we had a chance late in both) or Philly or Washington instead of laying eggs, we would have been in. We're close. All the true franchise guys come up big late to win a couple each year. If we get that, and better D, we're in.

1. Tyrod Taylor plays 16 games and throws for 3600+ yards 26TDs 10 Ints, rushes for + yards 4TDs.

2. Sammy Watkins plays 16 games for 1300+ yards 13TDS.

3. McCoy plays 16 games and runs for 1300+yards and 8TDS.

4. Rex & Rob defense is a top 7 defense. This is a team defense not a star player defense.

If the Bills can come close to these goals I see them going 10-6 and making the playoffs.

Depth and Health will determine this teams playoff run through the WildCard....The problem is that the AFC is way overcrowded...

The Patriots, Texans (Or Jaguars), Steelers and Chiefs will win their division. That leaves the Broncos, Raiders, Jets, Bills, Jaguars, Bengals, Ravens to fight out for two spots with Miami and Colts knocking close. You have get the breaks go your way to secure one of those two spots.

1. Tyrod Taylor plays 16 games and throws for 3600+ yards 26TDs 10 Ints, rushes for + yards 4TDs.

2. Sammy Watkins plays 16 games for 1300+ yards 13TDS.

3. McCoy plays 16 games and runs for 1300+yards and 8TDS.

4. Rex & Rob defense is a top 7 defense. This is a team defense not a star player defense.

If the Bills can come close to these goals I see them going 10-6 and making the playoffs.

All points i would agree need to happen but i don't think our defense will even crack a top ten with the collection of players we have.

Got to go at least 2-2 hopefully 3-1 without Dareus. Get Shaq Lawson back week 7-8. Someone defensively needs to have a breakthrough year, Gilmore and Darby pro bowl level play and we should be fine. I think offensively we will be good enough as long as the run game is above average. 9-7 / 10-6. In running for playoffs

Heading into Kickoff Weekend I put the floor for this team at 7 wins and the ceiling as high as 12. 7 wins would be a disaster and 12 is probably too lofty of a goal with the schedule they have but that's why it's a ceiling.

The overall ingredients for a playoff birth have been stated by a lot of folks in this thread already, health being paramount. With the suspensions and injuries, this team really is thin at certain spots and any sort of long term injury to the triplets or the interior Oline would be devastating to their playoff hopes.

Beyond staying healthy, something they can't really control, let's talk about what they can control: communication. For me that's the second biggest key. It's year two of both systems, year two for the staff and player relationships, the coaches know what the players like and have a better understanding of their abilities. This continuity (buzzword alert), in theory, should help the coaches communicate better and put the players in positions where they're more likely to make plays on both sides of the ball. Most NFL games are decided by just a few plays a game, having excellent communication can really tip the scales in your favor when those key plays happen.

Those are the two big general keys to ending the drought, but in terms of nuts and bolts of the games themselves I like to break the season down by quarters:

Quarter 1: @BAL, NYJ, ARZ, @NE -- The Bills really have to go 3-1 in the opening stretch. They could survive a 2-2 start (so long as both those wins are against the Jets and P*ts) but it'd be much more difficult. I think they need to get 5 divisional wins to have a chance, that means sweeping the Jests and Fins and splitting with NE.

Quarter 2: @LA, SF, @MIA, NE -- 2-2 wouldn't be killer, especially if they managed to get 3 wins in the first quarter of the year, but 3-1 is the real key. They're simply better than the Rams, Niners and Dolphins and if they want to make the playoffs they have to beat the teams they should even on the road. Plus, if they can find a way to head into October 30th on a 3 or 4 game winning streak, the 12th man at New Era might be enough to give the Bills the game against NE Br*dy or no Br*dy.

Halfway mark: 6-2 / 5-3... anything less spells trouble

Quarter 3: @SEA, @CIN, JAX, @OAK -- They have to go at least 2-2 in my mind but could survive a 1-3 stretch here if they got 6 in the opening half of the year. This is a brutal stretch, but the Bills do have the benefit of a bye week and our first pick should be playing himself back into form during this stretch which could be a boon.

Quarter 4: PIT, CLE, MIA, @NYJ -- 3-1, it just can't be less than that. Three home games, two divisional opponents (both of whom the Bills are better than and thus have to beat) -- anything less than three wins here would sink their playoff hopes. There's a strong chance they'll need to go 4-0 here to seal it.

Jan 1st: 11-5 / 10-6

This is the year the drought ends. :beer:

This is pretty much the way I see it too. First 4 games, they need to go 3-1 and the most preferable team to lose to is Arizona, as it doesn't hurt them in the division or the conference. A loss to AZ and a 3-1 record would make them 3-0 in the AFC and 2-0 in the AFC East.

Q2: Again, you hope for 4-0 but 3-1 is ideal. 2-2 would be disappointing. I'm going to do what everyone else does and expect a win over Miami and a loss to NE with Brady back. That leaves them at 4-1 in the AFC and 3-1 in the division. Sitting pretty(ish) at 6-2 in the midst of their nightmare stretch of 4 games.

Q3: Go ahead and chalk up Seattle and Cinci as losses, now they're 6-4 with the REAL important games left. 4-2 in the AFC, 3-1 in the division and games left against most of their possible competition for a wild card spot.

Oakland, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh should be right in the mix assuming KC, Houston and Cinci are the division leaders. Gotta beat two of those three to put yourself on top of the heap. Beat the first two and now you're 8-4 and 6-2 in the AFC with head to head wins over two potential competitors.

Edited by JM57

Everyone staying healthy and lots of prayer is our only hope. We are a middle of the pack offense and middle of the pack defense so it's really going to take everyone playing exceptional for us to pull it out. Won't happen if we have anymore injuries at key positions

how do you figure a middle of the pack offense... ? not sure there is anything more to add on this offense.. now they just need to stay healthy and go do it on the field and not turn the ball over... you can have the greatest players in the world, but if you put it on the ground 3 or 4 times and or have 10+ big penalties you will lose the game every time.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Watkins isnt that imortant, He'll get his or be injured in the middle of season.

Woods will be a factor and the defense will be top 5-8

Tyrod will do more than last year. The Patriots will do their part by failing

KC, Houston and Cinci

Buffalo wins 2 or all of those games.

Houston will do poorly and so will Cinci

Just out of curiosity, what teams do you believe trot out a better playmaking group at QB/RB/WR/TE than the Bills with Taylor/McCoy/Watkins/Clay? With an above average OL?

I'll be waiting.

What's your take today? It's only 1 game? Looks like I was being generous with middle of the pack

0-1 isn't 0-16.

Jets Home is winnable

We saw the Cardinals defense exposed last night. They are beatable.

Patriots without Brady. ehhhh Jimmy G looked pretty good last night.

We could finish the first quarter of the season 3-1, unlikely but it is possible.

At Rams (must win) 1 dimensional run team

Home 49ers (must win) must i explain this...

At Miami. I don't buy the hype here. We win this one. however,

I don't see us beating the Pats twice, even at home.

At Seahawks Monday night....

6-3 going into the bye

The next 4 games are all AFC contenders. We HAVE to take two of these here. I'd say Jags home and At Steelers are the most likely.

At Bengals L

Jags home (must win) W

At Raiders L

Steelers Home W

8-5 and at this point with 3 weeks left, we could be well in the hunt with a relatively easy final three games

Browns Home..W

Miami Home...W

At Jets ...L

10-6 and that is being generous. This would require with a split between the Jets, Pats and sweeping the fins. Would it be good enough to squeak in? Depends on who our wins come against. I am not confident, but I do think its ridiculously early to throw in the towel.

GO BILLS!