It was a 'stupid decision' to play Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to think a QB will get hit in a football game, is there?

Starting OL or not, there is a decent possibility the QB is going to get hit. And considering TT's style, he is going to get hit, whether the OL plays well, or not. My point being, you should never be surprised if your QB gets hit---you should EXPECT it.

Rex just blurts stuff out, without thinking, and often mangles his thoughts. Then he has to explain what he really meant, sometimes making other misstatements in the process. (Reminds me a bit of a particular political candidate.) Now, my opinion of Rex as a head coach should be fairly well known. But even he knows TT's going to get hit---pretty much in EVERY game he plays. I know many think the way Rex deals with the press is "refreshing", especially when compared to tight-lipped non-communicators such as Belicheat, or Rex's predecessor in Buffalo. But I actually think it serves as a distraction, and consistently puts the spotlight directly on Rex (where I think he likes it). But, it's not a big deal, really. If he wins, we'll find his blubbering charming. And if he loses, most of us will come around (I think) and realize his just an attention seeking failure of a HC.

BTW, I should add: Starting TT wasn't a mistake, IMO. Playing him for too long, once he realized how bad the line was playing, would have been. I actually give Rex credit for starting, and pulling, him.

See that wasn't that hard. :flirt:

Great coaching move to sit those starters and pull TT and Sammy quickly especially vs those thugs. Ballsy.

I feel pretty strongly about this. And I agree.

Sometimes Rex impresses the heck out of me. He knows his starters already. I like that, and they probably do too.

Edited by 3rdand12

Wait a minute. I haven't read the thread, but I thought the same thing at first when I saw this last night, and then realized he was talking about the question "Did you pull them because they got hit?"

Rex then said "No, you were in the same meetings I was where I said they would play two series, it would have been pretty stupid to play them if (I only played them because) I didn't think they would get hit."

Anyone have the clip?

Edited by What a Tuel

Except, at some point during the season your starting LT and your veteran RB may well be hurt so what then?

It wasnt the LT tho. It was the right side of the line that dropped the ball. On one of the plays were Taylor broke a tackle in the backfield, as he was running out of the pocket the right side of the line just stopped playing, I watched the replay over and over and they jus gave up and looked clueless while taylor wiggled out then he got tackled.

Sorry, but I don't understand why this is a "thing". He played two series. He did not get hurt. Rex blurted out an extraneous thought. Big deal..

LOL! Tyler was only good when he did not need to throw a lot. When QBs are reaching 5K yards 3K is not prolific

pro·lif·ic[/size]

present in large numbers or quantities; plentiful.[/size]

Is there a point here?

If you aren't putting out all of your best players (who would play in a regular season game) then yes, playing your QB and expecting him to not get it is stuupid.

You'd think Rex would have learned that lesson in NY when Mark Sanchez's career ended with a pre-season hit behind a 3d string OL.

Urp. Is that OL-bashing then? Throwing Kromer under the bus as the OL coach? Or what is it? I mean, we need to play people to get ready for the season, no? And if it's our starting QB, the current available starting OL needs to be able to protect him, or do we think the OL starters will go through the season uninjured?

bashing or motivation? depends on the coach, depends on the player. To me it sounds like he's trying to let his guys know it wasn't good enough.

You'd think Rex would have learned that lesson in NY when Mark Sanchez's career ended with a pre-season hit behind a 3d string OL.

I think it's just one of those things that as a coach you know the player wants to play a couple series and you want him to also - he got hit hard once - and then you just say damnit, I didn't want to see that happen - even though the possibility exists. Not a big deal to me.

What nobody has mentioned is the quarterback forgot to do a quick glance to his left on the 7 step drop back. This wasn't a quick throw where an outside blitzer wont get there in time, its a 3+ second drop back. Gotta look left for a split second.

Might freeze the safety, definitely will prevent the un-abated shot that he took, and is probably something he won't forget to do against Baltimore.