Whatdo you need to see to believe the D will be better

As I have watched this D during the preseason I have seen a different D. I think the D will be better. If we can be good early, the second half should start to resemble what we thought we were going to have with getting Shaq back and Marcell. What do you need to see?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have watched this D during the preseason I have seen a different D. I think the D will be better. If we can be good early, the second half should start to resemble what we thought we were going to have with getting Shaq back and Marcell. What do you need to see?

I'm already confident in the back end of the D. We have really good corners.

To be confident overall, nothing that happens in the preseason will convince me that the D is better. Way too many third stringers and vanilla schemes out on the field this time of year.

I need to watch the first game. What's the communication like? Are we getting pressure? The answers to those two questions will tell me a lot.

Better communication and it looks like that is the case this year. Plus, even though injuries are a problem, Rex got the round pegs he needs to fit the round holes in the draft. And Rob Ryan is fully pregnant(or looks it) and looks like he will deliver.

I just want them to be consistent. The defense every year has the potential to be to be top 5 with the players we've had but they lose energy or focus or maybe both and don't play at 100% for 4 quarters.

It really is a chess game. Rex just needs to communicate with the players that if you feel tired, raise your hand and we'll get a sub in with fresh legs for a down or two. If they can master the rotation, i think we'll be alright.

I mean statistically we can't get worse than last year so yes i definitely expect improvement. This is the 1st year in a long time where I'm actually excited about the offense.

I like all the positives we've seen so far in communication, etc. but what about penalties? A disciplined team would go a long way for me to know we have made significant improvement.

Nothing will sell me until we get through September and can see if we can hold up against the Jets, Cardinals, and even a Brady less Patriots. We'll know in October if we have a solid defense.

Pressure and sacks.

This!

Last in the NFL in QB pressures and defensive hurries in 2015 left the Bills secondary out to dry like two week old wash in so many games. The single most important progress would be to up the sacks and QB pressures will help an already really good secondary so much.

The first four games will tell so much about what's in store for the rest of the season.

Not trying to be a smartass (much..), but simply put; Wins. We left a few wins on the field last year -and every damn year, for that matter- that doomed the season. Whatever it takes to make critical stops, create critical turnovers or win the field position that finally produces wins from the jaws of defeat, will make me believe.

I'll need to see lots of each opponent's punter.

LOL This!

1) way fewer penalties, and no stupid "personal foul" penalties

2) everyone in position and ready to rock even when teams are hurrying to the line or running a fast paced offense - no confusion before the snap

3) ability to hold a lead late in the game which requires

4) ability to consistently get stops when we need them

This!

Last in the NFL in QB pressures and defensive hurries in 2015 left the Bills secondary out to dry like two week old wash in so many games. The single most important progress would be to up the sacks and QB pressures will help an already really good secondary so much.

The first four games will tell so much about what's in store for the rest of the season.

Double this.

While sacks are great, pressure is more important. It causes incompletions, confusion, turnovers, and the other team's punter to get a lot of work. Schwartz's D was doing this a lot. I miss that.

In week 1 last year we were prepared and it looked like the defense knew what they were doing. After that it was a show of utter confusion and ineptitude. I attribute this to the coaches taking too much for granted, resting on their supposed laurels and then starting to point fingers at players.

That can't happen again. If the defense plays well in week 1, I think the week 2 performance will go a long way toward telling me if something has possibly changed. It is a quick turnaround to a Thursday night so it could be tough, It is also the Jets, which were 2 of the 5 games Rex seemed to give a crap about last year. Week 3 is a mini bye, week 4 is against the Pats and a backup QB. If we haven't imploded on defense by then I will be intrigued.

Week 5 will be telling IMO. I'm not even sure who we'll be playing but it will sort of be our first game in a "normal" routine.

Unfortunately I'm not optimistic at this point. Rex has two main problems. One is a lack of organization and discipline. I know he is trying here and I admire him for it. I believe he will give 100% to try to be organized this year and moving forward. It is a tough task for someone to change but I want to believe he can do it. We'll see if they can get plays in on time, have the players actually understand the play and not start blaming "stupid" or "lazy" or "malcontent" players.

The second problem is the bigger one. His defensive design, and that of the brother he brought in, has been beaten like a government mule by the rest of the NFL for years now. They are doubling down, all in, fully pregnant for this defense which again shows some admirable qualities for loyalty. But after years of failure I have a hard time imagining a full fledged turnaround.