Is the defense truly improving, or a byproduct of preseason?

Rubes

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense looks more organized, and the pre-snap communication seems to be improved. Last season, watching the opposing offenses snap the football before our defense was even set was very frustrating.

It appears the coaches being let go (still getting full paychecks) worked. The timing was odd but it appears they were trying to carefully review who was communicating well and who was not. I think Reed's addition was a big factor in backfield.

To me preseason means nothing. That said, to me by far the biggest problem last year was not talent or scheme but the calls came in late, the players had to think too much, they weren't ready at the snap or know their assignments. Everyone on the team has said they are much more prepared and I think that alone is an enormous difference.

That said, I blame that all on Rex last year. The calls came in late all the time. Players were running around pointing right as the ball was snapped over and over and often were a split second late

Hopefully once the regular season hits and offenses start pushing to confuse us with packages and speed - and our own coaches start thinking more about scheme--- we see this continue on the right way.

It looks better but until tested we don't know yet

Hopefully once the regular season hits and offenses start pushing to confuse us with packages and speed - and our own coaches start thinking more about scheme--- we see this continue on the right way.

It looks better but until tested we don't know yet

Just to have all three levels looking like a well coordinated defense without miscommunication and blown assignments is progress. Of course we'll only know for certain once the real games begin with full game planning and schemes to take advantage of matchups.

So far in the first two preseason games, it looks like the Bills defense is playing very well. Extremely stout against the run, not giving up much yardage or points. I believe I read somewhere that the first 6 drives by both Indianapolis and the Giants resulted in 46 total yards (each). They're allowing very few first downs, and very low third down conversion percentage.

They also are passing the eyeball test, at least by these two eyes.

That appears to be the case despite all of the defensive starters being replaced by backups. They've had unexpectedly good productivity by several backup defensive linemen and linebackers, not to mention some of the backup CBs and safeties.

The question is: is this is a true improvement, or just a byproduct of the preseason?

Discuss.

There is something to be said for a high level of motivation. The "next man up" and "fighting for a spot" mentality can carry a team. I'm hopeful that we make it through the early schedule, and then pick it up when guys return. What's the old saying? If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!

I have to say, I was probably most impressed by the job that was done by those 2nd and 3rd string defensive linemen. There were consistently getting into the backfield and stuffing run plays. Obviously not much game planning there, but still nice to see those guys consistently winning their one-on-one matches.

This would be my comment, the depth looks be be all hustle with few error in assignments. Well rounded team.

The O line looks much better too considering Cordy and Richie are out.

One thing about the injuries (?) Is the depth is getting plenty of work, and seem to me to be up to the task.

I was thinking last night, tough cutdowns this year in multiple positions.

I like that !

yes, no more turning heads and arm flapping by the members of the D at the time of the snap. Better communication, less thinking more reaction, even Spikes was a whole lot better than a week ago against the Colts.

I saw one or two plays that stood out. But by the snap they were all in place.

Spikes definitely looked back home, against the Giants

I`ll wait till the first 4 games of the regular season. Jerry needs help. Hopefully he does not get hurt. That pass rush will be done. We still need another outside backer to help Jerry. Bigtime.

Albright surprised last night with his instinct and his discipline. He aint no Hughes , but if the whole line plays like that Bills will be hard to push around

You can never tell if a unit is great, or even very good, in the preseason. There is too much experimentation with players and scheme, variation in playbook usage among teams and differences in usage of talent to get a good gauge of how units (or teams) will fare in the regular season. What you can sometimes tell is that a unit or team is going to be very bad. The Bills defense doesn't fall into that category and that is the positive I'm taking away. What they'll achieve beyond that is anybody's guess. Don't get too worked up about the preseason and remember that the Lions went 4-0 during the preseason the year they went 0-16 in the regular season.

You can never tell if a unit is great, or even very good, in the preseason. There is too much experimentation with players and scheme, variation in playbook usage among teams and differences in usage of talent to get a good gauge of how units (or teams) will fare in the regular season. What you can sometimes tell is that a unit or team is going to be very bad. The Bills defense doesn't fall into that category and that is the positive I'm taking away. What they'll achieve beyond that is anybody's guess. Don't get too worked up about the preseason and remember that the Lions went 4-0 during the preseason the year they went 0-16 in the regular season.

I don't think anyone is making references to preseason wins or losses. As previously posted they look to be on the same defensive page with that all too often not being the case last season. That alone represents progress. What level they ascend to remains to be seen when the season begins in earnest.

While I'm generally on the side that takes nothing out of preseason results...a shutout is a shutout. Incredibly difficult to do, whether it's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th string. Something must be going right.

I used to think all defenses live and die by the effectiveness of the front four, but in most of Rex's packages the key seems to be the D-backs. Gilmore, Darby, Robey and Seymour is an impressive group of corners. Physical, fast ball hawkers that force qb's to go to the checkdowns a lot. Makes the front 7 look great

Don't underestimate the impact Ed Reed is having on that group proving communication, and allowing the front to get there as everyone is covered. By far our best unit on the team.

So far in the first two preseason games, it looks like the Bills defense is playing very well. Extremely stout against the run, not giving up much yardage or points. I believe I read somewhere that the first 6 drives by both Indianapolis and the Giants resulted in 46 total yards (each). They're allowing very few first downs, and very low third down conversion percentage.

They also are passing the eyeball test, at least by these two eyes.

That appears to be the case despite all of the defensive starters being replaced by backups. They've had unexpectedly good productivity by several backup defensive linemen and linebackers, not to mention some of the backup CBs and safeties.

The question is: is this is a true improvement, or just a byproduct of the preseason?

Discuss.

I'm thinking the likely answer is "Both". I believe there has been improvement in the player's understanding and execution of Rex's scheme. On the other hand, it is preseason and they are playing against a vanilla offense, not one carefully orchestrated to target and exploit their weaknesses.

i'd think it's a sign the defense is improving. it seems usually the defenses take a bit longer to look good and the offenses have their way in the preseason. the giants seemed to have wasted an entire week of preparation on this game cause they basically didn't show up. The communication looked great and the guys seemed to know their assignments. This is very important cause man do we need to start out fast this season...like 6-0 fast if we want a real good shot at the post season.

i'd think it's a sign the defense is improving. it seems usually the defenses take a bit longer to look good and the offenses have their way in the preseason. the giants seemed to have wasted an entire week of preparation on this game cause they basically didn't show up. The communication looked great and the guys seemed to know their assignments. This is very important cause man do we need to start out fast this season...like 6-0 fast if we want a real good shot at the post season.

I thought it was backwards. Defenses are ahead of Offenses early in the year. But it could be backwards with Rex's complex D.

I don't think anyone is making references to preseason wins or losses. As previously posted they look to be on the same defensive page with that all too often not being the case last season. That alone represents progress. What level they ascend to remains to be seen when the season begins in earnest.

i think his point was that the lions probably didnt look bumbling in preseason if they finished 0-4.... not that we should be focusing on the record.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's only pre-season, but is the defense really playing better or do the Giants just really suck?

Three things I see as different.

Mario Williams is gone and maybe he had even a bigger negative impact than anyone on the outside realized.

Don't laugh but Rob Ryans presence may be helping in that he actually understands what rEx wants to do where as I don't think Thurman did, so Rex had to try and play DC in addition to HC. I also think Rob's presence could help in that he likely won't be at all afraid to tell Rex, your idea sucks!

Players have a year of learning the D under their belt.

Maybin would have been better than Mario last year.