Is the defense truly improving, or a byproduct of preseason?

Rubes

I agree with this premise and we really don't know if Ryan is holding back at all or showing everything he has to look better this year. Most teams run vanilla schemes in pre-season while keeping things very simple so they can evaluate everyone properly.

If the defense looks this good against the Ravens, Jets, Cardinals and Patriots then Bills fans can start to get excited about this year. I say this because of how great the defense looked last year against the Colts and then fell on their face against the Patriots in the very next game. The defensive game plan needs to be consistent every week against every opponent and not just division foes.

On another note, there were times that Eli looked like he had a ton of time to make a play and the Bills secondary just wouldn't let him. This was the case in a lot of games last year and the secondary can't stop an offense by themselves as they need a solid pass rush to help them. Time will tell with this as nobody really knows what to expect with the pass rush except Ryan himself.

you are kidding , right ?

and the you say teams runs vanilla.

not sure/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far in the first two preseason games, it looks like the Bills defense is playing very well. Extremely stout against the run, not giving up much yardage or points. I believe I read somewhere that the first 6 drives by both Indianapolis and the Giants resulted in 46 total yards (each). They're allowing very few first downs, and very low third down conversion percentage.

They also are passing the eyeball test, at least by these two eyes.

That appears to be the case despite all of the defensive starters being replaced by backups. They've had unexpectedly good productivity by several backup defensive linemen and linebackers, not to mention some of the backup CBs and safeties.

The question is: is this is a true improvement, or just a byproduct of the preseason?

Discuss.

ILB is going to make or break it. What will the Browns do for you??

Btw- Hughes is a stud he is going to be a challenge for the RTs to contain.

With half the Bills starters on Defense not dressed tonight, I think we will get a pretty good idea actually of where we stand. I know that sounds strange, but how improved the communications, buy in, and scheme are will be tested. If they can play well, even dominate with the B team, I will feel pretty good about our chances.

With half the Bills starters on Defense not dressed tonight, I think we will get a pretty good idea actually of where we stand. I know that sounds strange, but how improved the communications, buy in, and scheme are will be tested. If they can play well, even dominate with the B team, I will feel pretty good about our chances.

absolutely. adolphus washngton has been playing great, as has jerel worthy, corbin bryant and kevon seymor. i can't imagine how good they will be when all of the starters and draft picks are ready to play.