Bills cut Karlos Williams

FireChan

Why bring in a headache at this point...There's stuff leaking out about him, his attitude, lack of effort......I'm guessing many GMs don't want to bother with the distraction.

As of right now the Redskins RB depth chart is: Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, Keith Marshall and Mack Brown. That's kind of my answer. What do they have to lose (as an example)? They bring him in and spend the month trying to get him ready. If he slips up they cut him (and can no doubt add someone like Mack Brown back). If he gets in shape and gets his stuff together he at worst splits carries with Jones. They have nothing to lose.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feelings from the time he reported overweight:

"This is bad news for a 5th round RB, in his second year. He played great last year, but he was hurt alot. And, the Bills have the potential to be pretty deep at RB. I'm not positive he makes the team if he doesn't get his act together pronto."

June 14
BTW, I was chastised for daring to say this.
My point is this guy is too undisciplined as an individual for anything less than the highest forms of motivation to work. He came ready to play last year and things came together for him. He was motivated to make the team and get paid. Unfortunately, he couldn't maintain the level of motivation and discipline needed to continue. I'm not optimistic for this guy. But, I hope he gets his act together.

Good call...I personally was NOT one of the ones who chastised you on this, however, had I seen your post, I would have thought it was a bit extreme and far fetched to think the kid could get cut at that point. That was also before the suspension, and also I don't think it was really clear just how out of shape he truly was. At that point, it looked more like a young mistake and once the trainers got a hold of him it would correct itself. Heck, I didn't even pay much attention to it at the time thinking it would be a non story by the time camp opened officially.

Then it got worse with the suspension. Then it further got worse as it became clear he was very far past playing shape and it wasn't going to be a quick fix.

I have to say, I really thought the kid had a bright future here...he showed flashes that reminded me of a young Jerome Bettis...big back that can run through you but explosive enough to also run around you with a third dynamic of having good hands out of the back field. His ceiling looked very high...still could be if he can get his act together. There is a part of me that hopes he goes unsigned, gets his act together, and finds a way back on to the Bills...but that is probably unlikely.

As of right now the Redskins RB depth chart is: Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, Keith Marshall and Mack Brown. That's kind of my answer. What do they have to lose (as an example)? They bring him in and spend the month trying to get him ready. If he slips up they cut him (and can no doubt add someone like Mack Brown back). If he gets in shape and gets his stuff together he at worst splits carries with Jones. They have nothing to lose.

Once suspended he's out of the building to. It's almost literally "here's a playbook. See you October 9, and if your not going to be ready don't even come back"

If that breaks your teams culture, you were already broken. In buff there's atleast history/relationships where he could be a bad influence or hold more sway. In DC? Put him on notice and see what happens at zero expense.

After last year I am sure the Bills considered any potential injury situation and STILL did not want him. The Bills knew he wouldn't count for the first four games and STILL did not want him.

You may think they are dumb and made a bad move, but I think it speaks volumes about how they viewed Karlos. They had way more input than we did. They did not want him around, simple.

I don't think the Bills are dumb and made a bad move. I agree that the Bills clearly did not want Karlos around.

I just think that the stated reasons (performance 1st week allowed to practice) after the loud public support from Rex, Whaley, etc regarding the fatness and 4 game suspension, don't add up. Now if it's true he was a locker room virus and lacking in motivation, or if there was a precipitating incident, it makes sense.

It is telling I guess that no other team picked him up, but I do think Whaley has a bit of cred in the league and I wonder if there were phone calls "hey, what's really going on there?" and how much gets said.

It isn't? I thought that was the entire point? You have bad RBs on team "X" and you can add a guy that has issues (lots of them) but is better than the rest of your guys. It costs you nothing to see if he can turn it around on your watch.

If you sign him now you're on the hook for the full salary. Sign him after game one and you're not. This happens a lot.

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't think the Bills are dumb and made a bad move. I agree that the Bills clearly did not want Karlos around.

I just think that the stated reasons (performance 1st week allowed to practice) after the loud public support from Rex, Whaley, etc regarding the fatness and 4 game suspension, don't add up. Now if it's true he was a locker room virus and lacking in motivation, or if there was a precipitating incident, it makes sense.

It is telling I guess that no other team picked him up, but I do think Whaley has a bit of cred in the league and I wonder if there were phone calls "hey, what's really going on there?" and how much gets said.

I think they told him to go to rehab to get his suspension reduced and he refused. Hence the move.

I've read that the Bills were the only team to even consider drafting Karlos, not because of ability, but because of the type of person he was. I can't imagine anything Karlos has done recently would change their opinion of him.

If you sign him now you're on the hook for the full salary. Sign him after game one and you're not. This happens a lot.

Negative. That only applies to vested veterans, which means 4 years in the league.

What I'm not clear on, and hope someone here can straighten me out, if a team picked up Karlos on waivers, they pick up his contract, correct? Would they also pick up the cap liability for his signing bonus or do the Bills just eat that either way?

I've read that the Bills were the only team to even consider drafting Karlos, not because of ability, but because of the type of person he was. I can't imagine anything Karlos has done recently would change their opinion of him.

That MAY be true, but the pressure to win is great and now he doesn't even cost a late round pick and he's still cheap. If you get thin at the position, and he gets in shape, it's all upside with nothing to lose.

There are a lot of players drafted in the late rounds who do not successfully demonstrate an ability to play at the pro level. The success rate of players drafted in the 5th round, defined generously as having any sort of career sticking in the league for a year or more and building up any statistics at their position, is something like 15 or 20% (unless we're talking about QB. For some reason, 5th round is an anomoly for QB - worse than 4th or 6th.).

So one would think, once he demonstrated a season of ability to play in the NFL and contribute to a team, interest would rise.

Except, perhaps, that the 4 game SA suspension has teams saying "yeah, our pre-draft scouting was Right On"

Negative. That only applies to vested veterans, which means 4 years in the league.

What I'm not clear on, and hope someone here can straighten me out, if a team picked up Karlos on waivers, they pick up his contract, correct? Would they also pick up the cap liability for his signing bonus or do the Bills just eat that either way?

Any player who is cut has his signing bonus charged to his former team, because it's already been paid-out. The new team just picks up the remainder of the contract.

Good call...I personally was NOT one of the ones who chastised you on this, however, had I seen your post, I would have thought it was a bit extreme and far fetched to think the kid could get cut at that point. That was also before the suspension, and also I don't think it was really clear just how out of shape he truly was. At that point, it looked more like a young mistake and once the trainers got a hold of him it would correct itself. Heck, I didn't even pay much attention to it at the time thinking it would be a non story by the time camp opened officially.

Then it got worse with the suspension. Then it further got worse as it became clear he was very far past playing shape and it wasn't going to be a quick fix.

I have to say, I really thought the kid had a bright future here...he showed flashes that reminded me of a young Jerome Bettis...big back that can run through you but explosive enough to also run around you with a third dynamic of having good hands out of the back field. His ceiling looked very high...still could be if he can get his act together. There is a part of me that hopes he goes unsigned, gets his act together, and finds a way back on to the Bills...but that is probably unlikely.

I agree with you on this. Hopefully this is a wake up call and he gets his act together.

I doubt 31 teams flagged him but to fall that far he had big flags (likely bigger than we knew)

Basically, 32 teams didn't want to commit to him as is. An injury could change that for sure but a 5th round pick, with those stats, on that contract going unclaimed is surprising (and telling).

/scratching head emoji

Aren't they the ones who picked up Gallette? So them passing on Karlos with their RB situation must be telling. There has to be more to the story why he got cut.

Aren't they the ones who picked up Gallette? So them passing on Karlos with their RB situation must be telling. There has to be more to the story why he got cut.

Yeah and Galette has torn his Achilles twice in the last couple of years. They may not want the headache but I was using them as an example (not advocating them specifically). There are multiple teams that have nothing to lose by bringing him in.

I definitely agree there has to be more to the story though. That would certainly answer a lot of questions.

Edited by Kirby Jackson