Bills cut Karlos Williams

FireChan

Say more? I don't tweet or twitter.

It was in one of the posts in the other Karlos thread. Apparently Preston & Karlos had some kind of a twitter duel, and Preston asked Karlos if his response was in English.

I think Karlos's increasingly erratic behavior on twitter didn't help matters.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...unless there is something else we don't know about, I'd say this is an overreaction...or the team trying to make an example out of someone...

my theory based on the timing is that maybe he was an enabler for Dareus and the Bills organization decided that he needed to be gone in order to remove future temptation. A complete guess but the timing makes it possible...

Yes, absolutely I do. My point is the Pack worked Lacy in preseason last year then played him, at the weight where we just can't let Karlos work. I'm not saying Lacy did well at that weight, just pointing out one team can keep, practice, and play a guy at that weight (because he had a record of success with them) while we have to get out the snippers immediately, only a few days after telling the world "we won't give up on him"

Maybe Lacy's head was in it while Karlos was all "I just don't care". Or maybe there's more to it.

theres no saying that they made the right choice, just because it was a different choice too. I am with you that theres more behind the scenes but the comparison you are making neglects that lacy was a higher pick, with less off field issues (KW has them in college and as a pro), that we have a very good group of backs, etc....

Obviously the Bills agree they have better places to invest their time, energy, and money or they wouldn't have cut him. But in cutting him, they are cutting a player in whom they invested a draft pick (albeit a low round one) and a season of development. All I'm saying is the stated "too fat to practice" 1 week of "didn't perform well" doesn't seem like enough reason to toss that investment.

It's kind of :rolleyes: to describe a player who starts 11 games for 5.6 ypa, a 78.6% catch/target and scores 9 TDs as "did nothing except get hurt when you have the chance to start". Had he shown he was a long-term star or a starter, or a guy you can build around, No. But he did show he could play and contribute in the league, and that really shouldn't be questioned by anyone knowledgeable in the game.

Both of these views make a lot more sense to me. If the players didn't trust him and there were locker room issues and coaching issues (lack of focus/effort?) on top of the weight and the suspension, that would be reason to cut their losses.

I suppose we'll never know, but I do tend to believe there must have been some final precipitating event that put him "over the top" with management. I have believed this about Lynch and Bryce Brown as well, but nothing has ever come out.

Wondering if the team leaders also weighed in (pun intended) that he needed to go...was a problem in the locker room, etc. That will probably stay in the locker room with the players and we may never hear that part

Wondering if the team leaders also weighed in (pun intended) that he needed to go...was a problem in the locker room, etc. That will probably stay in the locker room with the players and we may never hear that part

we all enjoyed some of the twitter jokes from teammates about his weight/workout routine, but its possible those had a little bit of real animosity behind them and not just solely guys joking around.

Edited by NoSaint

theres no saying that they made the right choice, just because it was a different choice too. I am with you that theres more behind the scenes but the comparison you are making neglects that lacy was a higher pick, with less off field issues (KW has them in college and as a pro), that we have a very good group of backs, etc....

I'm with you on the off-field issues this year making a difference. Not so worried about the "higher pick" - the "Not For Long" is all "what have you done for me lately?". It's the "what's behind the scenes?" part that's really my point.

I'm with you on the off-field issues this year making a difference. Not so worried about the "higher pick" - the "Not For Long" is all "what have you done for me lately?". It's the "what's behind the scenes?" part that's really my point.

the higher pick surely could be effecting how a GM handles it. If lacey was a day 3 draft pick - his leash would be shorter in a lot of situations around the league. Ragland comes in with much more opportunity to prove himself than listenbee.

Maybe if these knuckleheads payed attention at the NFL Rookie Symposium instead of sleeping or screwing around on their phones, they'd realize what a great opportunity they have if they work hard and stay out of trouble.

I don't feel bad for any of them that go down in flames.

Maybe if these knuckleheads payed attention at the NFL Rookie Symposium instead of sleeping or screwing around on their phones, they'd realize what a great opportunity they have if they work hard and stay out of trouble.

This is no longer available to rookies...Each team has their own

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/05/nfl-replaces-rookie-symposium-with-new-rookie-transition-program/

Why did we not try and make a trade for a late round draft pick to a running back needy team ?

Whaley says to have wanted to give the young man a chance to sign on with another team. But, why should we care about his continued career with a rival. And I consider every other club a rival.

It seems like we could have gotten something back from him, besides just letting him go.

And I have also seen allot of people post that we got totally screwed by taking him in the 1st place.

But. We took him in the 5th. He played. Produced. And is gone. I think he played his worth in his 1 year with the Bills. Hardly a huge gamble that didnt produce some kind of results. jmo

Why did we not try and make a trade for a late round draft pick to a running back needy team ?

Whaley says to have wanted to give the young man a chance to sign on with another team. But, why should we care about his continued career with a rival. And I consider every other club a rival.

It seems like we could have gotten something back from him, besides just letting him go.

And I have also seen allot of people post that we got totally screwed by taking him in the 1st place.

But. We took him in the 5th. He played. Produced. And is gone. I think he played his worth in his 1 year with the Bills. Hardly a huge gamble that didnt produce some kind of results. jmo

You don't know that they didn't try. Papa on Sirius implied they did make some unofficial inquiries

Do you honestly believe that an overweight RB with a pending 4 game drug suspension who has concussion history and off the field concerns going back to his FSU days has any trade value?

Why does it seem that way? What is it about him that would make a team want to give a draft choice to acquire him?

Well, they treat the Rookie Symposium with about as much respect as the treated their "courses" in "college." The whole system is built around telling athletes they can do whatever they want from about the age of 12. It's a wonder that so many of them show character at all.

Do you honestly believe that an overweight RB with a pending 4 game drug suspension who has concussion history and off the field concerns going back to his FSU days has any trade value?

Exactly right.

And while there might have been more problems behind the scenes, in front of the scenes was enough for me. Multiple drug test failures, concussion issues, weight problems, lack of commitment (as suggested by the drug and weight problems) - he had to go.

All I'm saying is the stated "too fat to practice" 1 week of "didn't perform well" doesn't seem like enough reason to toss that investment.

Nobody has stated that. Why do you keep saying you understand all the other factors that went into the decision yet you keep attempting to frame the justification for cutting him as one that was solely about his weight?

If he showed up at OTAs, came to camp dedicated to working his ass off to get into shape, wasn't prone to concussions and wasn't suspended, he wouldn't have been cut.

Well, they treat the Rookie Symposium with about as much respect as the treated their "courses" in "college." The whole system is built around telling athletes they can do whatever they want from about the age of 12. It's a wonder that so many of them show character at all.

"They" do? And you know this how? And they all didn't take college seriously? I guess Robert Woods was just joking about using all his off seasons to get his degree from USC. As far as I can tell, the overwhelming number of players on the Bills take their jobs seriously, put in the work and the study, play hard and aren't doing any knuckle-headed things. How do you explain that?

I see all these speculative ideas to what happened in this thread...but I don't know why. There is a pretty clear cut case against Karlos and the team has been pretty clear about it.

1. He came into camp incredibly out of shape...not a little, but the kind of out of shape that takes time to fix.

2. He is suspended for the first 4 games. Thats already 2 strikes against him.

3. We signed Bush and drafted Williams. That means there are currently 4 RB's ahead of him on the depth chart in McCoy, Gillisee, Bush, and Williams. Most teams don't keep 5 RB's unless that 5th one is a major contributor on ST.

4. All 4 RBs ahead of him aren't just ahead of him because of the suspension, but also because they are ready to play and have out played Karlos.

Someone had to go. You are not going to cut McCoy. You are not going to cut Gilisee. You signed Bush to be a both a RB during the suspension and also a weapon that can be deployed during the season so unless he came in and struggled (which he hasn't) then you probably don't cut him. And the rookie you just drafted has looked good too, so it mostly comes down to this rookie that we just invested the same round draft pick in who is in shape and ready to play and not suspended or the fat 5th round RB from last year who not only is waaaaaaay out of shape but also suspended.

Personally, I am very disappointed that after a very impressive rookie season that Karlos journey has led here and not on this team. Especially because the kid has a load of potential and if he goes to a divisional rival (all 3 could use him) he could very well could go on to haunt us for years if he gets his crap together. But at the same time, this is the time of year where you have to start making cuts, and like I pointed out above, we were not going to carry 5 RB's into the season opener and he forced their hand. Had he made the roster and ran into some trouble, I think he may have had a shot to stick around, but because his troubles saw him fall behind 4 other guys who all look the part, there wasn't really another choice during cut season IMO.