New Era sign is atrocious

mrags

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It does look like an advertisement of sorts - but that is exactly what it is. Naming rights are the ultimate ad, so why be bothered by it? I'm just glad the name sounds "cool" - that's about as much concern as I have in this matter.

You think Pats fans care about how the ad for their "Gillette Stadium" looks? Because it looks like dog poop compared to ours, IMO.

just an example using are most accomplished coach:

When he was named head coach of the Buffalo Bills he negotiated his own deal for $200,000, and in '96, his last season before retiring, he still was making less than $1 million, even after taking his team to four straight Super Bowls. Sam Wyche who was coaching for one of the most frugal owners in the league Paul Brown was making 1 million a year for the last 4 years.

Gregg Williams out as Bills head coach heads to Washington in 2004:

The Redskins made Williams the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL, at $1.8 million a year. That's about an $800,000 raise over what Williams was getting as head coach in Buffalo.

A $5.1 million 3 year contract Monte Kiffin got from the Bucs less than an hour before he was to board a flight for a weekend interview with 49ers general manager Terry Donahue. Buffalo coach Gregg Williams, Herm Edwards of the Jets and Bill Callahan of Oakland all earn less than will Kiffin under his new deal.

Lou Saban, Chuck Knox both left over money unless we were dumping truckloads of money in the drive way of Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough, or Dick Jauron ya he was extremely cheap the list of the head coaches tells you that and even cheaper with assistant coaches which is why some of they offensive minds have been Jim Ringo, Joe Pendry, Mike Sheppard, Tom Clements, Steve Fairchild, Turk Schonert and defensive guru's like Jimmy Carr, Bob Zeman, Don Lawrence, Herb Paterra, Jerry Gray you get what you pay for or in this case what he didn't. This isn't a I hate Ralph rant it's a understand what took place for 17 playoff appearances in 54 years thank god for the Kelly years or it would be 8 in 43. Statue yes thanks for keeping this team here, a stadium named after you? ehhh used to be back when we lost all the time.

Edited by CardinalScotts

just an example using are most accomplished coach:

When he was named head coach of the Buffalo Bills he negotiated his own deal for $200,000, and in '96, his last season before retiring, he still was making less than $1 million, even after taking his team to four straight Super Bowls. Sam Wyche who was coaching for one of the most frugal owners in the league Paul Brown was making 1 million a year for the last 4 years.

our most accomplished coach isn't that accomplished but that's another story all together.

It's not Ralph's fault that Marv requested what he did for a contract. What was Ralph supposed to do, tell Marv he needed to take more money?

Ralph signed multiple free agent players over the years of the drought to attempt to get us out of the sewer. Unfortunately it didn't work. You just sound like a disgruntled fan that is mad because we let go of Thomas, Reed, and Bruce all on the same day.

It does look like an advertisement of sorts - but that is exactly what it is. Naming rights are the ultimate ad, so why be bothered by it? I'm just glad the name sounds "cool" - that's about as much concern as I have in this matter.

You think Pats fans care about how the ad for their "Gillette Stadium" looks? Because it looks like dog poop compared to ours, IMO.

i don't care what Pats fans or anyone else tho k about their stadium and the logos attached to them. I care about this team and this stadium. And unfortunately, it looks like a wallpapered billboard along the highway

People just love to complain, it's obvious.

yup. Now who are you and why are you bothering to even post in my thread of your not going to add anything?

Well - we used to say I'm going to a game at "The Ralph". I liked it. It was pretty cool.

Now we'll say - I'm going to a game at "The Cap". This'll take some getting used to.

I can see the B-Lo News capitalizing: "Bills Cap Jets in Comeback Win".

Let the puns fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gillette.jpg?w=420

Looks like they hope to put a cauldron up there and host the Olympics someday.

our most accomplished coach isn't that accomplished but that's another story all together.

It's not Ralph's fault that Marv requested what he did for a contract. What was Ralph supposed to do, tell Marv he needed to take more money?

Ralph signed multiple free agent players over the years of the drought to attempt to get us out of the sewer. Unfortunately it didn't work. You just sound like a disgruntled fan that is mad because we let go of Thomas, Reed, and Bruce all on the same day.

i don't care what Pats fans or anyone else tho k about their stadium and the logos attached to them. I care about this team and this stadium. And unfortunately, it looks like a wallpapered billboard along the highway

yup. Now who are you and why are you bothering to even post in my thread of your not going to add anything?

That's cool, but I'm just using other teams as a point of comparison b/c there's a precedent for naming rights, and that precedent is as follows: boring.

Bank of America stadium: looks like an ad.

Metlife: looks like an ad.

Gillette: looks like an ad.

Centurylink Field: looks like an ad.

Ford Field? same

Lucas Oil Stadium? same.

etc.

What's the theme here? Naming rights are an AD. The company that's paying hundreds of millions of dollars to place their name on your stadium isn't going to CHANGE their advertising campaign/company logo just to make the stadium look "cool." It would defeat the entire purpose of their advertisement. It's common sense actually.

I feel like I'm at work - everyone is a Creative Director (even those of us NOT in the Creative department). :D

Also, without Ralph's name on the stadium, how will we remember the ONE other owner the team had for its first 50+ years!? HOW??

Well, got a 8by10 signed glossy of Ralph. That Works.

That's cool, but I'm just using other teams as a point of comparison b/c there's a precedent for naming rights, and that precedent is as follows: boring.

Ford Field? same

Lucas Oil Stadium? same.

etc.

What's the theme here? Naming rights are an AD. The company that's paying hundreds of millions of dollars to place their name on your stadium isn't going to CHANGE their advertising campaign/company logo just to make the stadium look "cool." It would defeat the entire purpose of their advertisement. It's common sense actually.

they all look like adds. But those other ones actually look like there was some money out into them. Ours looks like a wallpapered billboard.

They can spend the money however they want. It just looks cheap and like a sign id see on my way to the Outlet Mall.

I get it, most here think I'm getting too worked up over it. They think I'm being stupid. That's fine. I don't care. I think it looks like a 2nd rate cheapo sign as opposed to a 1st class signage on a multimillion dollar building.

After thinking about it and reading through this thread i'm inclined to believe its a temporary sign put up for the press conference today and before the regular season starts something more permanent will be installed.

I'm with you here, that change can't cost too much to make (<10k), so at $5MM a year, maybe NE negotiated some full takeovers.

The current hat create is fine, I guess, but does't feel right for the season, IMO. I prefer something that says it's the BILLS house - big wordmark logo, "Home of the Buffalo Bills" the Championship logos, etc.

Interesting that the add-on above the scoreboard is "New Era Field" (with their logos prominently displayed), does that still leave the door open to "at Ralph Wilson Stadium" underneath it on the actual scoreboard before the season?

Ford Field? same

Lucas Oil Stadium? same.

etc.

Yes, buying the naming rights is an advertisement, but you don't see giant 50 foot razor blades next to "Home of the New England Patriots" in Foxboro. You don't have to make the front door of the stadium literally a grouping of your new hats for sale. Some have said this is only temporary, and I hope that it is. It does look like a billboard. There's no arguing that (and I do believe that's the point of the whole thread).

they all look like adds. But those other ones actually look like there was some money out into them. Ours looks like a wallpapered billboard.

They can spend the money however they want. It just looks cheap and like a sign id see on my way to the Outlet Mall.

I get it, most here think I'm getting too worked up over it. They think I'm being stupid. That's fine. I don't care. I think it looks like a 2nd rate cheapo sign as opposed to a 1st class signage on a multimillion dollar building.

I think you're more justified in this thread than 90% of the useless opinions on the board during the offseason.

Yes, buying the naming rights is an advertisement, but you don't see giant 50 foot razor blades next to "Home of the New England Patriots" in Foxboro.

Your joking, right? You do see the difference between selling FOOTBALL hats and razor blades? At a FOOTBALL stadium?