Geno reflects on "The Punch" one year later

YoloinOhio

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/209576/knocked-out-how-jets-qb-geno-smith-views-the-punch-one-year-later

Interesting... So IK actually helped him

"When I look back on this when I'm 40, 50 years old, I'll ask myself, 'What time in my life made me a man?' I think this was that time in my life," he said. "It was so easy to say, 'Hey, this is not my fault. I'm the victim here, and this guy should be going to jail.' Instead, I manned up. I owned it. I took responsibility for whatever actions I had in that altercation, and I chose to let that fuel me to become a better man and a better player."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, in the article Geno sounds only focused on how he got his opportunity to QB taken away and life isn't fair so I must keep fighting for it. Commendable, but maybe he should have honored his commitment to IK and be accountable that he wasn't a man of his word?

I think sitting behind Fitzpatrick for a couple years will prove to be good for him. Just like EJ sitting behind Tyrod. A lot of these QBs get thrown in to the fire a bit too early, I think.

No amount of sitting is going to help EJ solve his accuracy issues and lack of pocket awareness.

I think sitting behind Fitzpatrick for a couple years will prove to be good for him. Just like EJ sitting behind Tyrod. A lot of these QBs get thrown in to the fire a bit too early, I think.

Great point that many won't agree with. Both him and EJ should have sat behind vets from the beginning. I really like what Broncos and Eagles are doing with their Qbs. I only wish there was a minor league where they could play. Geno will get a shot to start somewhere next year.

And I hate everything about IK. He sucks and it was embarrassing how Rex handled that situation. It probably was karma for our season. What a joke of move by Rex.

Great point that many won't agree with. Both him and EJ should have sat behind vets from the beginning. I really like what Broncos and Eagles are doing with their Qbs. I only wish there was a minor league where they could play. Geno will get a shot to start somewhere next year.

And I hate everything about IK. He sucks and it was embarrassing how Rex handled that situation. It probably was karma for our season. What a joke of move by Rex.

Karma for a season - one player? Really? OK that you do not like Rex but to say a whole decision hinged on the pickup of a questionable linebacker is a huge leap.

I really agree with this.

Karma for a season - one player? Really? OK that you do not like Rex but to say a whole decision hinged on the pickup of a questionable linebacker is a huge leap.

I loved the Rex hire. The signing of IK a day after the punch, and then making him captain against the Jets was the first signs of maybe Rex really is a clown. It was such a douchebag move.

At the same time, it won't have been as douche if IK doesn't flat out suck. He brings nothing to the table.

Well growing up fighting alot, you win some and you lose some. From the few losses i had i can say, it does humble you believe it or not.

Sometimes you gotta get punched in the face to not grow up arrogant.

I do agree with this 100%. It sounded like it was a cheap shot.

Oh, training camp starter.

Gene must be feeling the burn of that...

If IK is our starter, the Jets should pay him a salary. He got Fitz to be their starter and gave us one of the worst players in the NFL as a starter.

But anyone is better than Mario (even though he average double digit sacks and IK hasn't has one in 3 years!).

If IK is our starter, the Jets should pay him a salary. He got Fitz to be their starter and gave us one of the worst players in the NFL as a starter.

But anyone is better than Mario (even though he average double digit sacks and IK hasn't has one in 3 years!).

To be fair... hes our starter - because Shaq and Manny are both out. That doesn't really make him a starter.