Optimism - or lack thereof

Harsh reality losing Ragland for an extended time after losing Shaquille Lawson for a significant time. Last year's defense was not good enough to make the playoffs- maybe was THE reason that they didn't reach the postseason.

I think that the Bills' management tried to address that weakness in the draft with Lawson and Ragland, but those plans are now on hold (at least). There is no tangible reason to believe that last year's bad defense will be any better this year - and the offense shouldn't / can't be counted on to carry the load.

I know that Mario Williams was blamed for a lot last year, but who will replace him? Who will fill in for Ragland and play at an NFL level? Who will fill in for Manny Lawson who was filling in for Shacquile Lawson?

Not a pretty picture 1 week into training camp...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what his many detractors think, Rex will still field a competent D. Season still rides on TT... if he goes down, THEN you can kiss this year goodbye.

Rex hasn't fielded a competent D in 6 years. That includes a year in which he took the #1 sack team to #31. What on Earth makes you think he will do it now?

I wasn't expecting Ragland to be a Pro Bowler in his rookie year so I'm not sure how much his knee sprain dampens my enthusiasm.

The D will be better because (1) Rex learned lessons from last year, and (2) the defensive players are both more knowledgeable and committed this year.

The O will be better because it's the second year in Roman's system and TT's second year as a starter.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Rex hasn't fielded a competent D in 6 years. That includes a year in which he took the #1 sack team to #31. What on Earth makes you think he will do it now?

Maybe you are thinking dominant. I didn't say dominant, I said competent.

Harsh reality losing Ragland for an extended time after losing Shaquille Lawson for a significant time. Last year's defense was not good enough to make the playoffs- maybe was THE reason that they didn't reach the postseason.

I think that the Bills' management tried to address that weakness in the draft with Lawson and Ragland, but those plans are now on hold (at least). There is no tangible reason to believe that last year's bad defense will be any better this year - and the offense shouldn't / can't be counted on to carry the load.

I know that Mario Williams was blamed for a lot last year, but who will replace him? Who will fill in for Ragland and play at an NFL level? Who will fill in for Manny Lawson who was filling in for Shacquile Lawson?

Not a pretty picture 1 week into training camp...

Sign Hardy - right now, and play a ton of 4-3 until the rooks get back.

Maybe you are thinking dominant. I didn't say dominant, I said competent.

As in ranked in the top 25? Jk but honestly he is good at press conferences and that is about it. Well he seems like a good dude too. Game management? Nope. Remembering to call players with debilitating diseases? Nope. Taking blame without throwing players under buses? Nope.

2017 will probably bring us a new coach and a high draft pick. I do feel bad for Whaley because he may end up going too. It's a tough business because he had to draft guys that would ostensibly help Rex's dumb scheme.

I think the defense will be better. Ryan tried to mix his defense with Schwartz's from the previous year and it didn't work. Most of the guys on the field will be in the system a second year and the other Ryan can teach them Rex's defense. R2 (Rob and Ryan) should have a productive defense this year regardless of Lawson and Ragland. Maybe the Bills take a flyer on Greg Hardy to cover for Lawson but who knows if he is worth the chance. Even though the injuries cannot be blamed on Whaley, both injuries to Lawson and Ragland will have people questioning his GM skills. Let's see who Whaley brings in to help get the Bills to the playoffs.

As in ranked in the top 25? Jk but honestly he is good at press conferences and that is about it. Well he seems like a good dude too. Game management? Nope. Remembering to call players with debilitating diseases? Nope. Taking blame without throwing players under buses? Nope.

2017 will probably bring us a new coach and a high draft pick. I do feel bad for Whaley because he may end up going too. It's a tough business because he had to draft guys that would ostensibly help Rex's dumb scheme.

Unless you are cherry picking your defensive stats......the D that Rex fielded last year was NOT the norm for him

Regardless of what his many detractors think, Rex will still field a competent D. Season still rides on TT... if he goes down, THEN you can kiss this year goodbye.

We see this season the same way.

People forget when Rex took over that NYJ defense he inherited a lot of players that seemed over-the-hill.

Those were his most successful units as they took him to two AFC title games.

He doesn't need a ton of talent in the front 7......just players that buy in and execute. They have a wealth of talent in the secondary, which is where he needs playmakers.

One of the critical mistakes the Jets made was exhausting so many key draft resources on their DL when they had a DC/HC who could get similar production from journeymen.

I'd like to see them get some more help at OLB but the reality is that this season is going to be about what TT and the offense can do.

Season still rides on TT... if he goes down, THEN you can kiss this year goodbye.

Yea BUT all of these idiots keep telling me how Cardale can throw a football over them mountains and that's all it takes to be an NFL QB right?

I wasn't expecting Ragland to be a Pro Bowler in his rookie year so I'm not sure how much his knee sprain dampens my enthusiasm.

The D will be better because (1) Rex learned lessons from last year, and (2) the defensive players are both more knowledgeable and committed this year.

The O will be better because it's the second year in Roman's system and TT's second year as a starter.

What are you basing this on?