Not Astros Notes - Scrimmage 8/6

NY Nole

Here's my best attempt to give you some observations in the absence of Astro:

* Night started with special teams players working on punts, returns and kickoffs. I would like to take this opportunity to comment on an overlooked/ taken for granted issue - we have another really good punter in Colton Schmidt. He was absolutely banging some punts out of the end zone - 60 yarders. I was particularly impressed with his craft - when punting from his own ~40, he would routinely kick the ball end over end which had the effect of making fielding more challenging (and potentially setting up a big play turnover in red zone)..Powell almost dropped one of these. In instances nearer their own 20-30, he was well adept at positioning high spirals close to the boundaries, while others closer to their own end zone - he would routinely drive kicks 50-60 yards. Fun watching this. As for our returners, rotation between Powell, salas, bush, arenas and Seymour. No drops - with 1 close call on end over end by Powell.

From there they went into calisthenics then position drills. Not to much to report here - but I did enjoy watching Ed Reed alternate throwing to WR's with Tyrod. Reed's passes were pretty on the money and tight spirals. I absolutely love that Ed Reed is one of our coaches and really think he is adding something special to our team - as mentioned before - he always has a player around him seemingly hanging on his wisdom or instruction. Also noticed some practice reps for FB's taking handoffs.

Next up was scrimmage. It began with a Reggie bush fair catch around the 15. First team offense included Goodwin and Woods, Felton, Shady, Gragg. First team defense: Worthy and Washington at end, Bryant nose, Enempali and Hughes at OLB and Brown and Brown inside. Offense went three and out to start - Tyrod started slow. Second team came in and scored on EJ TD to Goodwin. Goodwin's speed is obviously something the Bills coaches love - he bobbled the catch - but made nonetheless. I thought Goodwin was on outside looking in to start camp- but it appears the Bills are giving him every chance to grab a spot on the 53. Speed kills, but I would like to see more consistency with catching and more health out of him. Unless he has a terrible preseason - I think he makes team.

Next up Cardale led the third team - didn't do much on their series - Cardale was/is very inconsistent with accuracy (so is EJ) - but this guy is fun to watch. He has an almost robatic cannon for an arm. He does to his credit make quick decisions. On one play in particular, he dropped back to throw, pocket started to collapse around him and he took off running up the middle (it was probably premature decision, but to his credit it was decisive). While he did not produce a TD (both Ej and Tyrod had one) he nearly did/ should have - as on an absolute all out blitz, he avoided rushers, broke free and effortlessly threw a deep bullet to Boykin - who nearly took it in. The next three goal line plays showed another side - as he wasn't close when firing a shot into the end zone (they settled for a third-team FG).

A few other observations: I am very concerned about IK. Prior to Cordy Glenn leaving with an injury (not sure of severity but he walked off), IK got absolutely engulfed by #77. I do think Cordy is an above average tackle - but IK was totally neutralized by him. On another running play - he was pushed back and could only watch as the RB went blowing past him. As much as I respect his right uppercut - I think better options might be needed. Jerry Hughes is a better defender in space than many might think. Striker was active in the backfield and got a sack - though his size is a negative when taking on lineman in run support. One thing I noticed was that he tried to strip Cardale when he was running. I like this attitude. As a diehard FSU fan, I am pulling for Nick O'Leary - but he dropped his only attempt over the middle (hard catch but he had it in his hands). Rookie back Williams looked good to me - hit the holes with force and has football/deceptive speed. Finally, Jonathan Dowling needs a major effort in preseason games in order to make this team. It likely won't be as a gunner - as he was pushed about 10 yards into the sideline and fell down. It also probably won't be as a CB - because he got toasted by Woods for a TD. Greg Little had a nice catch and Blanton redeemed himself with a few nice breakups. Defense looks like it will be bringing lots of pressure from defensive backfield this year.

Probably lot's more that Astro would have caught - but about all I can remember.

Go Bills.

Saw a few pictures of big number 99 walking around in a t-shirt tonight, looking out of shape. Then here is a picture of Ragland from a few days ago. Probably easier to play all three downs when your in football shape. #ALLIN, is that a food reference? Jeez.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/08/reggie_ragland_dealing_with_kn.html#comments

How did the Oline Vs the Dline look overall?

Tough to give accurate assessment - as there were minimal series, neither marcel or Kyle were in there and there seemed to be more passes than runs. Generally, Oline starters gave gave decent protection. As mentioned Cordy handeleld IK, Kouandjio was swing tackle and filled in for Cordy. On defense - it seemed that when they didn't rush the house - they (Line) didn't get a lot of pressure - most "sacks" we're from LB and DB's (not sure how much 3-4 line gets sacks in general).

Really appreciate it! So JWill looked good? I hope he shows up in preseason to make those RB decisions tough.

Ya - I thought JWill looked good - first time in camp he really caught my eye, also might be because they were rotating in with starters and giving him good looks.