2016 Brazil Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an SB Nation tweet on that this morning. The amount of butthurt Americans in the replies that called for her to be disqualified and banned. :lol:

Diving for the finish line should be banned, and runners should be disqualified for doing it.

But not retroactively.

Diving for the finish line should be banned, and runners should be disqualified for doing it.

But not retroactively.

You are wrong again in your opinion:

http://qz.com/759267/this-is-a-totally-fair-way-to-win-an-olympic-gold-medal-in-track/

"...Officially, diving isn’t expressly allowed in the rules of the International Association of Athletics Federations, the world governing body on track and field. But it isn’t prohibited either. The exhaustive rule book (pdf), which dictates everything from the width of the finish line to how cameras should be set up to record photo finishes, is silent on the subject. Its main stipulation is that the runner whose torso, rather than hands or head, crosses the line first is the winner:

The athletes shall be placed in the order in which any part of their bodies (i.e. torso, as distinguished from the head, neck, arms, legs, hands or feet) reaches the vertical plane of the nearer edge of the finish line as defined above.

By that measure, Miller earned gold, even if not all viewers approved..."

Just guessing. Because it is a force out and there is no need to avoid a tag.

???

And... A player is allowed to overrun it.

???

What?!? Do you get tagged at the finish line of the 400 meters?

I'm saying why would it be an issue if it supposedly makes you go slower. Or, are their different laws of physics, etc. in baseball?

It is legal to dive and throw your torso (lunge) over the line... Why you see them doing that at the line. I suppose it ain't any slower, but faster to get your body over the line first by lunging. One isn't trying to beat the ball to the bag, one is only trying to get to the line first. From the corner of the runner's eye they may see where the other runner is... That chest lunge is VERY important. When does a lunge become a dive? Obviously she is saying when she trips! :D

I'm saying why would it be an issue if it supposedly makes you go slower. Or, are their different laws of physics, etc. in baseball?

Same laws of physics, only in baseball it is a factor and when flinging yourself over a finish line it isn't (until after you're over the line).

In baseball, a player has to slide to get to first. Friction slows him down. That's why players are instructed to run through the bag. Also because a lot of times they jam their hands on the bag and get injured.

Same laws of physics, only in baseball it is a factor and when flinging yourself over a finish line it isn't (until after you're over the line).

In baseball, a player has to slide to get to first. Friction slows him down. That's why players are instructed to run through the bag. Also because a lot of times they jam their hands on the bag and get injured.

It is the only base you are allowed to run through and be safe... Unless you count home plate... But the catcher can block the plate, the firstbasemen is not allowed to obstruct the runner. At home, you also trying to slide around the block and touch the plate before the tag, which HAS to be a tag. You can also bowl through so as to jar the ball from the pitcher if he gets the ball and attempts to make the tag out.