Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is effectively is really worth 18 million per year for the extended years. It's the same total as 1 year where he would have got 1 million plus 89 million for a 5 year deal signed after the season for a total of 90 million. He would have gotten $90 million over 6 years whether he signed this now or played for 1 year under a 1 million deal then assumed to have signed a 5 year deal for 18 million a year after the season. I think we were able to negotiate it down to an average of 15 per year because of this and Tyrod is happy to get a lot more money this year even though the average would have been the same if he got a 5 year 89 million deal after the season.

I don't have an expectation here as to Taylor, I can see him really stepping up, staying about the same, or busting out. It will be interesting.

So in conclusion, Tyrod is either going to (1) get better, (2) get worse or (3) stay the same. Way to go out on a limb there, Cotton. :lol:

You have to believe the team has options to cut their losses if things go sideways, injury- or performance-wise.

Beyond that, it's not our money, so how much they pay him is inconsequential except as it relates to the cap, and I think we all know the cap is just a fuzzy line no one ever worries about.

Official numbers , Wow. Whaley basically putting his career in the hands of Tyrod Taylor.

I hear ya, but very respectfully, that's nonsense. On a normal team, yes, likely, but not here.

Whaley's fully on record as owning the Manuel draft pick and there hasn't been one consequence. Trading away an additional 1st-rounder and 4th too for Watkins despite Watkins' inability to stay healthy has also had no consequence. So far he still have plenty of defenders and apologists after this year's draft debacle with Lawson.

The guy has more lives than Morris the Cat.

This team under Wilson and no less under Pegula is more concerned about hiring people that it likes for the top spots in the administration than it is about hiring effective or competent people. I don't see that changing under Pegula, if anything it seems to have gotten worse.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I'm happy the Bills made the commitment to him. Sounds like the deal is reasonable for the Bills. Here's hoping he gets us to the playoffs and continues to improve. Now let's work on Gilmore's deal.

I think they have been for a while now

How can anyone not like this? I don't get it. It's still extremely cheap for a starting QB in today's NFL, will be one of the lowest, and has a two-year out for the Bills if it doesn't work out. He would have cost a LOT more after this year, even if he doesn't improve at all.

Great job by the team.

Has a 1 year out too. This deal is an absolute home run for the Bills. This is a big victory for the front office.

@salsports

The Bills and Taylor's deal was creative, giving the team flexibility after just 1-2 years. Not a clean cut 6-year deal at all.

The thing is that we should know after this season whether he's worth keeping around or not.

If not, this still sounds like it's going to hamstring us for at least two more seasons.

Only 2 Qb's in Bills history have had seasons of 3000 yds passing, 20 TDS & completed 63% of their throws: Tyrod Taylor, and Jim Kelly

Seriously? You went here?

This just in, 3,000 yards & 20 TDs when Kelly did it meant a whole lot more.

Back then 30 TDs in a season was a whole lot. Now it's 40 or more.

Edited by TaskersGhost

If a high end QB prospect slips to the Bills in the draft and they don't select him then that is the mistake, not this contract.

Indeed.

My understanding of Tyrod Taylor's deal is its complex. So, 2016 is fully guaranteed, but after that there is a lot of prove-it in the deal.

That's exactly the type of extension that I was okay with--anything else would've bothered me.

I hear ya, but very respectfully, that's nonsense. On a normal team, yes, likely, but not here.

Whaley's fully on record as owning the Manuel draft pick and there hasn't been one consequence. Trading away an additional 1st-rounder and 4th too for Watkins despite Watkins' inability to stay healthy has also had no consequence. So far he still have plenty of defenders and apologists after this year's draft debacle with Lawson.

This team under Wilson and no less under Pegula is more concerned about hiring people that it likes for the top spots in the administration than it is about hiring effective or competent people. I don't see that changing under Pegula, if anything it seems to have gotten worse.

What was wrong with the Manuel pick? Still haven't heard your reasoning for that one.

And that last sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The thing is that we should know after this season whether he's worth keeping around or not.

If not, this still sounds like it's going to hamstring us for at least two more seasons.

That's the literal opposite of what's being reported.

lol

If Tyrod hits, he just signed a franchise QB to a reasonable, long-term deal - I think we'll all forgive him for the EJ pick.

Well, almost all of us, I'm sure...

And competency and "people you like" must be mutually exclusive.