Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

I am but only if the conversation is going like this: If you would like to sign now for 14 million we can do that - if you want 20 million then we've got to see you play more.

What do you think he picks?

Imagining his personality, i think he wants the 20 because he wants to be the best and wants to prove it too

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we install a signal system that will let us know when being a pro bowler is a good thing or a bad thing? I can't seem to keep track when it switches.

As soon as it moves away from a random popularity/press exposure selection thingy to an actual system based on measurables (i.e. never).

As soon as it moves away from a random popularity/press exposure selection thingy to an actual system based on measurables (i.e. never).

So the All-Pro team is also meaningless? Come on, folks, do we really think players, fans, and media are voting for crappy players just because they "like" them?

Look at it this way:

If Tyrod plays out his deal for $3M and plays well, he'll likely be looking for $18-$20M per year. Say the Bills gave him 4 years $72M. If you factor in this year at $3M, that would be a total of 5 years - $75M.

What I'm trying to say is a $15M a year deal now is the same as a $20M a year deal next year, due to his low price in '16. Tyrod's agent might prefer the optics of a $20M per year deal, but it's going to be tough to turn down a hefty amount of guaranteed $ now.

It sounds to me like Tyrod and his agent are prepared to blink. 4 years for $66M, is what I predict.

I've made the same point in other threads. It's a big reason why I don't think a deal gets done - except MAYBE a bridge deal. If Taylor plays as well as he did last season, then he's in line for a deal better than Osweiler - whether that's from the Bills or some other team. The Bills could tag him, but thats a tough road after a "prove it" season. They can't reasonably expect him to play under a tag. I see that scenario playing out with him not signing it and getting a long term deal or traded. The Bills would be paying market value at that point.

Once you drop a contract value to reflect what Taylor is making this season, things get so out of whack I think it gets unrealistic. A bridge deal would be better for both sides at that point. 3 years with an effective length of 2. The Bills would be tied to Taylor for 2 years rather than 1 as it is now, Taylor would get cash and some guarantees to protect him financially from anything catastrophic. Then, in 2 seasons there'd be a new, big contract or a parting of ways. I'll think about what I'd do for a bridge deal and post it later.

Can we install a signal system that will let us know when being a pro bowler is a good thing or a bad thing? I can't seem to keep track when it switches.

When half the league starts to stop declining the invitations then you'll know that a Pro Bowl selection is meaningful.

When half the league starts to stop declining the invitations then you'll know that a Pro Bowl selection is meaningful.

participation by first tier pro bowlers may even decrease, now that the "game" will

Be played in Orlando. These guys can afford to take their family's to Disney

On their own dime.

2. Don't rule out a Tyrod Taylor extension in Buffalo just yet. Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News reports that the two sides have been talking "frequently" and Taylor still has a chance for an extension before the season. It's a tricky contract to figure out; the Bills would essentially be buying low.

His point is valid, Rivers and Dalton didn't want to play.

Ayyyy, we have spots for Carr and Tyrod now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/197015/2016-nfl-pro-bowl-most-declined-invitation-in-history

Being selected means you are considered to be be a good if not great NFL player. Whether you choose to play doesn't change that.

Being selected means you are considered to be be a good if not great NFL player. Whether you choose to play doesn't change that.

Great, good, or mediocre. Half the league gets "selected" because so many back out. No offense, but is this a difficult concept?

So the All-Pro team is also meaningless? Come on, folks, do we really think players, fans, and media are voting for crappy players just because they "like" them?

The All-Pro team is not a fan vote.

Wasn't it just the other day that you insinuated the "casual fan" doesn't know what they're talking about? Now they know talent, I suppose.

Great, good, or mediocre. Half the league gets "selected" because so many back out. No offense, but is this a difficult concept?

Let's do some math. There are 1,696 active NFL players. Figure 106 players to fill out both pro bowl rosters, 742 players would have to decline an invitation in order for "half the league" to be selected. Did that happen or are 30-40 players declining count as half the league to you?

The All-Pro team is not a fan vote.

Wasn't it just the other day that you insinuated the "casual fan" doesn't know what they're talking about? Now they know talent, I suppose.

Are you having fun?

What do you think he picks?

Imagining his personality, i think he wants the 20 because he wants to be the best and wants to prove it too

It's not an easy call. If he misses significant games with an injury that could really hurt him financially. Not because of the injury itself but he'll get branded as a running QB that gets hurt - which is absurd by the way.

I'm thinking the biggest hurdle for both sides at this point is really the guaranteed money portion.

Bridge deal thoughts:

- If Taylor played this season and was franchised next he would get about $3M and $21M, respectively. A franchise in 2018 would be about $25M. (Using rounded numbers for now.)

- There's pretty much no risk for the Bills in that situation. All of that is on Taylor.

- There's no way Taylor plays under a tag in 2017. He's on a very cheap "show me" year which implies that he'll get paid market value based on his performance in 2016.

- A bridge deal would keep Taylor around through the 2017 season for sure and with no tag or renegotiation until after that season.

- The franchise tag in 2017 would be about his average per season market value if he plays about as well as last season. That's not an opinion of whether or not his performance last season is worth that, only that it would be market value.

So how about a 3 year deal like this?:

$12M signing bonus

2016: salary of $1M fully guaranteed, cap hit of $5M (actually $5.133M due to previous SB)

2017: salary of $11M fully guaranteed, cap hit of $15M

2018: salary $25M + $5M roster bonus, cap hit of $34M ($4M of which would be dead cap if Taylor was not paid his roster bonus and became a free agent)

Obviously this is a 2 year deal. Taylor would get the same 2 year payout of $24M, but he'd get cash now and the security of $24M guaranteed. The Bills wouldn't have to use their tag on him next season or deal with him refusing to sign it - and they'd get the same 2 year payout. Taylor's agent would get to crow about a 3 year, $54M deal with $51M in new money. The Bills would have two seasons to watch Taylor grow and determine his value, probably the same time Rex has to produce. After 2017 a new deal could be reached or ties could be severed with no real consequences. Thoughts?

The dude watched Flacco bet on himself and then did the same when he had the chance. I just don't see him taking less money for 3 or 4 years when he's one season away at most from the monstrous payoff. He believes in himself, plain and simple.

I'm not in the guy's head or anything, just my take. I don't see him signing a deal that pushes the big payoff further down the road. He's so close now.

Let's do some math. There are 1,696 active NFL players. Figure 106 players to fill out both pro bowl rosters, 742 players would have to decline an invitation in order for "half the league" to be selected. Did that happen or are 30-40 players declining count as half the league to you?

1696 starting qbs ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Could be $5 million per year for 2 years with fairly easy to achieve performance bonuses that get it to 13 million/yr. That way if he fails, the Bills are covered. Then if he does really well it goes to 22 Million/yr.

I don't know why things are not structured like that more often.