TOD 7/26: REX - love or hate him?

A year ago the national press and WNY were having a love affair with Rex. Most believed his bravado in saying the Bills were going to make the playoffs. What do you think of Rex now? What if the Bills miss the playoffs this year, should Rex be run out of town?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how he makes us look. At least we lost before and no one seemed to care. Now we get to have a spotlight on our failures.

Plus, for someone with BBFS, it's not nice to give us hope. We don't know how to reject it and it only brings us down harder.

I hope JohnC responds to this topic.

I also wonder when is the last time someone was a HC for 5 straight non-winning seasons, then went on to win a Superbowl.

Bill Belichick had five out of six, does that count?

A year ago the national press and WNY were having a love affair with Rex. Most believed his bravado in saying the Bills were going to make the playoffs. What do you think of Rex now? What if the Bills miss the playoffs this year, should Rex be run out of town?

If we win 6 or less he should go for sure, each win above that depends on how the team looks and if we we finish strong or not.

No but its real close! Thanks for the info, I'm genuinely curious.

Jeff Fisher had 5 non-winning seasons and then lost the Super Bowl...

I think he's a good coach. Give him a good QB and he can take a team to the playoffs.

Last year was Tyrod's first year and the defense didn't buy in. He won't be able to use that excuse next year. However, let's stick with a coach for a change. I'm tired of changing coaches every 2 or 3 years.

Stick with a philosophy and build a winner around that.

I don't know him, so I really can't like or hate him.

I think he'd be a fun guy to sit down and drink some beers with.

But I wish he wasn't the HC of my favorite football team.

I just don't think that he's a very good football coach. The defense regressed (with talent) and the in game management was bad. He's entertaining but I don't think that he's good. The record was less than the talent IMO.

Those are my thoughts too. Not detail oriented enough, stubborn if I may add

Jeff Fisher had 5 non-winning seasons and then lost the Super Bowl...

I think he's a good coach. Give him a good QB and he can take a team to the playoffs.

Last year was Tyrod's first year and the defense didn't buy in. He won't be able to use that excuse next year. However, let's stick with a coach for a change. I'm tired of changing coaches every 2 or 3 years.

Stick with a philosophy and build a winner around that.

I totally agree with this. The problem is that the schedule this year is difficult. The team could be markedly better on both sides of the ball, yet still finish 9-7 or 10-6 and still miss the playoffs. If that's the case, do they stick with Rex for 1 more year or dump him and start again?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I hope JohnC responds to this topic.

I also wonder when is the last time someone was a HC for 5 straight non-winning seasons, then went on to win a Superbowl.

Let's just pick other arbitrary measures of judgement while we're at it. How many teams with a new HC, OC, DC, and starting QB that was in 3-way tryouts for the job in camp and have made the playoffs in their first season? Who the hell knows? Hey, here's a stat you'll like. If you add the collective record of every head coach in the playoffs last year in their first season with their team, you would get exactly 97-95. Out of 12, only 4 had a record above 0.500 in their first year with their new team. Love Rex or hate him? Neither. To assume that a brand new system can be installed in a year with a QB that's never started, and players that don't fit schemes you're trying to run is just plain stupid. So, let's just say that they end up 8-8 again this year. Should the team completely reboot? I don't think so.

I totally agree with this. The problem is that the schedule this year is difficult. The team could be markedly better on both sides of the ball, yet still finish 9-7 or 10-6 and still miss the playoffs. If that's the case, do they stick with Rex for 1 more year or dump him and start again?Lather, rinse, repeat.

If they finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs no way does Rex get replaced. This would be especially true if Tyrod takes another step forward this year. Personally, I am really rooting for Rex to be successful not simply because I am a Bills fan but I would just like to see it for him. I think he is a genuine guy and a good fit for Buffalo. If he puts together a good long winning run the Buffalo fans will love him even more than they loved Marv Levy. I think Rex gets Buffalo in a way no other coach has.

I like him. He's got personality. Way better than a Jauron or Mularkey or St. Doug.

that & $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I was uneasy with the hire & Rex has done nothing to prove that my concerns were misplaced.