Espy's - worst network concept ever

major

Or Lauren Hill. Tell me THAT wasn't a far more amazing story. I have no real position on the Espy's since I don't watch. That decision didn't make me want to change my ways. I'm sure there is some very good stuff, but that decision baffled me.

Yeah, Lauren Hill was such an amazing story. It really made me tear up and showed me that there is still some good left in this world

CBF

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost all respect for the ESPY's after they gave Jenner the Ash Award. I don't call prancing & flaunting all around TV, having a sex change, & in the process embarrassing your whole family courageous, I call that being a selfish idiot.

I get it. I'm not the biggest fan of how the whole thing was handled. It ended up looking more like an attention grab than anything else. But that award wasn't about Caitlyn Jenner.

There are thousands upon thousands of people who struggle with gender identity issues. Many of them have suffered in absolute silence with no support. What Caitlyn did was give them a voice, it gave them legitimacy. There's a very public face that's in their corner. There's more awareness about what they struggle with.

If that's not heroic, I don't know what is.

I get it. I'm not the biggest fan of how the whole thing was handled. It ended up looking more like an attention grab than anything else. But that award wasn't about Caitlyn Jenner.

There are thousands upon thousands of people who struggle with gender identity issues. Many of them have suffered in absolute silence with no support. What Caitlyn did was give them a voice, it gave them legitimacy. There's a very public face that's in their corner. There's more awareness about what they struggle with.

If that's not heroic, I don't know what is.

I agree to a certain extent....

Jenner got a ton of money to do the I am Cait show, and I dont think cashing in on the experience makes him/her a hero

CBF

I agree to a certain extent....

Jenner got a ton of money to do the I am Cait show, and I dont think cashing in on the experience makes him/her a hero

CBF

Do I think there might've been better people to give the award to? Quite possibly. As mentioned before, Lauren Hill was a story of incredible courage and bravery. That being said, we're still talking about her now, she's still in the public consciousness. It's not like giving the award to someone else minimised who she was or what she did.

The main problem I have with awards like that are that there's normally dozens of people that have a genuine reason for being nominated. And people tend to argue that their favourite is better than the recipient.

Do I think there might've been better people to give the award to? Quite possibly. As mentioned before, Lauren Hill was a story of incredible courage and bravery. That being said, we're still talking about her now, she's still in the public consciousness. It's not like giving the award to someone else minimised who she was or what she did.

The main problem I have with awards like that are that there's normally dozens of people that have a genuine reason for being nominated. And people tend to argue that their favourite is better than the recipient.

I see your point and I really do agree. I understand the act of publicly transforming from a man to a woman is heroric and is award worthy.

What I have an issue with is that I felt the entire night was a huge publicity stunt. ESPN ran teasers every commercial for her award and left it until the end of the night as they knew they would get big ratings as it was Caitlyn's "first" public appearance.

Secondly, what offended me most is they made it all into a big PR move for Caitlyn. She didnt walk the red carpet, didnt speak to anyone.

In fact, she didnt even take her seat in the audience until the commercial break right before they announced her award.

CBF

You ever see the Jimmy V speech? Probably one of the most moving, and touching speeches of all time. I guess you're not a fan of the Jimmy V Foundation but I for sure am. It was then that his foundation was announced during the ESPY's and gained national attention. Some of the proceeds from ticket sales are donated to the Jimmy V Foundation in their research for Cancer. Do you even know how much money ESPN has raised for cancer because of the Jimmy V foundation? Probably not. So I'll forgive your pure ignorance for saying that this is a selfish cause. This award show does more for humanity than any other award show out there. Stuart Scott's speech? MOVING. Sager's speech? AMAZING. Arthur Ash award for Courage is done for a GREAT cause. I'd rather watch the ESPYs over any other award show out there. I think it's better than the #Oscarssowhite movement. Better than the MTV Awards, better than the BET awards, better than the Grammys, better than the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice awards. So who cares if these athletes get one more award for their accomplishments.

So don't go babbling on about something you know nothing about.

You may not give 2 shts about cancer but there's plenty of people out there that do and this award show is actually doing something about it. But you're right. Who cares about the ESPYs and all they've done for cancer research and humanity. ESPN is so selfish and this is the worst concept ever. No need to raise money for cancer research and I'm sure you can raise millions of dollars easily.

I don't think his comment had anything to do w/ no caring about cancer. I'm sure he cares about cancer. He was only commenting that it appears that ESPN is yet again trying to over-expose itself and make money off of sad tragedies (Summit, etc.). That said, I have no clue how much ESPN donates to cancer as opposed to soliciting donations. The Jimmy V speech is one of the all-time great speeches in American History, IMO, not just in sports. The Jimmy V foundation is fantastic. But ESPN is so overly-dramatic during the year with all its coverage, that by ESPY time some people may be sick of it. They bury the great stories by doing so many garbage ones during the year.

The show has become incredibly political.

Granted, it is sad to see a young man gunned down because he happens to live in a bad neighborhood, but do we really need to have Obama pushing his blatant gun control agenda as a big part of the show and then laying heavy guilt on the professional athletes to help push the agenda on the public as well??

Quotetheraven83 - I apologize if you thought I didn't care about cancer. I've been affected personally by cancer as I'm sure many have on this board. Like I said, I've never watched one espy's. If they are doing it for a good cause, then good for them. The ads for the espy's just come across as very network focused, like a rip off of the oscars. Again, sorry that my original post offended you

I didn't watch the espy's and I'm proud to say I've never watched it. You don't see NBC or CBS doing their own network awards show. How ego driven can you be??? Also, giving sports awards to teams and players that have already won- how stupid can you get. And the best nba team of 2015-2016 goes to the Cavs. No crap Sherlock! God I hate ESPN at times!

Agreed 100%

I didn't watch the espy's and I'm proud to say I've never watched it. You don't see NBC or CBS doing their own network awards show. How ego driven can you be??? Also, giving sports awards to teams and players that have already won- how stupid can you get. And the best nba team of 2015-2016 goes to the Cavs. No crap Sherlock! God I hate ESPN at times!

You didn't watch the ESPYs yet you are talking about it and even made a thread about it. I think ESPN is doing the right thing then since even people who "hate" them still can't help but talk about them.

ESPN 1

Major 0

Edited by Beef Jerky

I actually feel the opposite. I used to hate the ESPYs for that reason. They used to do things like "Best MLS Player." It has been completely different for the last 3-4 years. They honor people (with sports connections) for their achievements outside of the field. It has become a great show. Tonight they honored Pat Summit, Muhammed Ali, Craig Sager, and a 15 year old that shielded a group from gunfire, losing his life. It has become the event to recognize people for doing the right things. The stories are powerful and inspirational. It went from a horrible concept to an incredibly powerful platform. Kudos to ESPN for the show.

EDIT: I also forgot about Eric Berry and Sgt. Elizabeth Marks

you forgot that they honored criminals at the start of their show, too. Flipping thru I turned it off before he finished the game "Michael"