Espy's - worst network concept ever

major

I didn't watch the espy's and I'm proud to say I've never watched it. You don't see NBC or CBS doing their own network awards show. How ego driven can you be??? Also, giving sports awards to teams and players that have already won- how stupid can you get. And the best nba team of 2015-2016 goes to the Cavs. No crap Sherlock! God I hate ESPN at times!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually feel the opposite. I used to hate the ESPYs for that reason. They used to do things like "Best MLS Player." It has been completely different for the last 3-4 years. They honor people (with sports connections) for their achievements outside of the field. It has become a great show. Tonight they honored Pat Summit, Muhammed Ali, Craig Sager, and a 15 year old that shielded a group from gunfire, losing his life. It has become the event to recognize people for doing the right things. The stories are powerful and inspirational. It went from a horrible concept to an incredibly powerful platform. Kudos to ESPN for the show.

EDIT: I also forgot about Eric Berry and Sgt. Elizabeth Marks

Edited by Kirby Jackson

So it sounds like they took a page from cnn's heroes special that happens at the end of each year.

You ever see the Jimmy V speech? Probably one of the most moving, and touching speeches of all time. I guess you're not a fan of the Jimmy V Foundation but I for sure am. It was then that his foundation was announced during the ESPY's and gained national attention. Some of the proceeds from ticket sales are donated to the Jimmy V Foundation in their research for Cancer. Do you even know how much money ESPN has raised for cancer because of the Jimmy V foundation? Probably not. So I'll forgive your pure ignorance for saying that this is a selfish cause. This award show does more for humanity than any other award show out there. Stuart Scott's speech? MOVING. Sager's speech? AMAZING. Arthur Ash award for Courage is done for a GREAT cause. I'd rather watch the ESPYs over any other award show out there. I think it's better than the #Oscarssowhite movement. Better than the MTV Awards, better than the BET awards, better than the Grammys, better than the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice awards. So who cares if these athletes get one more award for their accomplishments.

So don't go babbling on about something you know nothing about.

You may not give 2 shts about cancer but there's plenty of people out there that do and this award show is actually doing something about it. But you're right. Who cares about the ESPYs and all they've done for cancer research and humanity. ESPN is so selfish and this is the worst concept ever. No need to raise money for cancer research and I'm sure you can raise millions of dollars easily.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

I lost all respect for the ESPY's when they gave the Arthur Ash award to Caitlyn Jenner instead of Jim Kelly

There is no way what he/she went through was more scary than the battle Jim faced

CBF

That's Bruce Jenner. He just needed attention that he wasn't getting while living with those bitches. I agree,why should HE get that award?

That's Bruce Jenner. He just needed attention that he wasn't getting while living with those bitches. I agree,why should HE get that award?

THANK YOU!

He CHOSE to become a woman

Jim didnt choose to get cancer, lose half his jaw, get reconstructive surgery, and eat through a tube in his stomach.

Bruce on the other hand, decided to do a TV special, and his own new reality show

CBF

I didn't watch the espy's and I'm proud to say I've never watched it. You don't see NBC or CBS doing their own network awards show. How ego driven can you be??? Also, giving sports awards to teams and players that have already won- how stupid can you get. And the best nba team of 2015-2016 goes to the Cavs. No crap Sherlock! God I hate ESPN at times!

I am sort of with you.

I have never seen it, nor have any desire to.

The kid in my profile picture is Zaevion Dobson. Take a minute to learn his story and tell me that honouring him is pointless.

i was unfamiliar with the story before last night. What an amazing kid. His mom's acceptance speech was unreal. Edited by YoloinOhio

i was unfamiliar with the story before last night. What an amazing kid. His mom's acceptance speech was unreal.

I've not watched it yet. Not entirely sure I could sit through it without bawling.

At 15 years old, he was already a better man than I am. I hope those girls he saved do wonderful things with the second chance he afforded them.

I've not watched it yet. Not entirely sure I could sit through it without bawling.

At 15 years old, he was already a better man than I am. I hope those girls he saved do wonderful things with the second chance he afforded them.

What a great man that kid was.

May he RIP

CBF

I'm quick to criticize ESPN these days, but the ESPYs are very well done and not simply a self-congratulatory show.

This. The Espys are normally very good.

Loved Cena's joke about Kobe and Peyton's final games not featuring any passing.

Kobes I like to do things differently 17-60ish season was funny.

Sager and Dobson stories tearjerkers for sure.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Well done Bloke!! That is an amazing story and one that we should all know.

I changed it yesterday morning because I knew the award was being presented. No fuss, no song and dance. Just my way of remembering him.

I might keep it in case people ask "Who is that?". It's a story I'd never tire of repeating.

I lost all respect for the ESPY's after they gave Jenner the Ash Award. I don't call prancing & flaunting all around TV, having a sex change, & in the process embarrassing your whole family courageous, I call that being a selfish idiot.

I lost all respect for the ESPY's when they gave the Arthur Ash award to Caitlyn Jenner instead of Jim Kelly

There is no way what he/she went through was more scary than the battle Jim faced

CBF

Or Lauren Hill. Tell me THAT wasn't a far more amazing story. I have no real position on the Espy's since I don't watch. That decision didn't make me want to change my ways. I'm sure there is some very good stuff, but that decision baffled me.