Bills' QB coach on Taylor: 'His eyes are in the right place

Im telling you right now....if Rex can get this D fixed you will see a world of difference in all aspects of the team.

I expect Tyrod to do his thing....but imagine a team that creates turnovers and forces punts giving TT more time with the ball in his hands?

1) It's sad that we have to "fix" a top 5 defense 2 years ago.

2) As bad as the defense was, there were certainly games that they keep us in the game where the offense struggle (Tennessee, the 1st Jets game, Dallas, the 2nd NE game).

But yes, if Taylor is the second coming of Russell Wilson, we will be in great shape. Personally, I think the Bills have better overall talent than the Seahawks.

Pay him now, franchise Gilmore next year.

Dick Jauron and Ryan Fitzpatrick think this is very smart.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/15/bills-qb-coach-taylor-eyes-right-place-time/

This kids deep ball with his work ethic and film study are going to push us into the playoffs.

I will believe it when I see it. Everybody is "really progressing" or "giving 150%" or "dramatically improved" during training camp. I am hoping Tyrod is the answer and did make big strides but as they say wish on one hand...

• 2 weeks later...

I will believe it when I see it. Everybody is "really progressing" or "giving 150%" or "dramatically improved" during training camp. I am hoping Tyrod is the answer and did make big strides but as they say wish on one hand...

But if everyone said TT sucked in OTAs you'd buy it.

You saw it last season. As good a deep ball as any QB in the game. As good a runner as any QB in the game (with the possible exception of Newton). Avoided the big mistake all season. Finished right near the top of the league in TD:INT ratio, passer rating, yards per attempt and went 8-6 as a starter. All in his first season. Like I said, you already saw it. The question is can he replicate it and build on it with his opponents having more film on him and can he open it up a bit more. But by reading your post, you would think the guy sucked last year.

And by the way, you are wrong about everybody looking good in training camp. If you recall, Manuel looked startlingly bad in 2014, which carried into the preseason and led them to frantically signing Orton in the 11th hour.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You saw it last season. As good a deep ball as any QB in the game. As good a runner as any QB in the game (with the possible exception of Newton). Avoided the big mistake all season. Finished right near the top of the league in TD:INT ratio, passer rating, yards per attempt and went 8-6 as a starter. All in his first season. Like I said, you already saw it. The question is can he replicate it and build on it with his opponents having more film on him and can he open it up a bit more. But by reading your post, you would think the guy sucked last year.

And by the way, you are wrong about everybody looking good in training camp. If you recall, Manuel looked startlingly bad in 2014, which carried into the preseason and led them to frantically signing Orton in the 11th hour.

When was last time EJ looked good? :D

What did his final series --when the Jags were no longer in prevent-- look like?

you mean when roman pulled that awful roll out to throw a pass against his body that needed zip/accuracy to beat the defender? maybe ej shouldve fired it earlier, but....

yea, that looked terrible, but i wouldve told you that without having seen the play.

i like roman but that play call always bugged me.

We've all bought into offseason hype before. Let's hope this is real.

Many, many years ago, I used to buy into pretty much all the hype.

A few years ago, I was buying into maybe 50%.

I'm down to maybe 10% now.

Time teaches hard lessons.

Many, many years ago, I used to buy into pretty much all the hype.

A few years ago, I was buying into maybe 50%.

I'm down to maybe 10% now.

Time teaches hard lessons.

much like life.

But the hard lesson make us a bit wiser , less gullible, and expend little energy towards a subject matter that has little hope for success.

But i do hope, regardless. and this season i think is the best chance Bills have had in years to "get er dun"

Honestly this is where I look to the beat reporters and the reports are so far so good. Reading Joe B and Ty Dunne and others raving about Tyrod and how good he looked is very different than what we had to read with EJ. There was such a weird schism on this board where half the people were convinced that there was a real agenda on the reporters end to not let EJ start, instead of just accepting he wasnt any good. I trusted them there and I trust them now.

Honestly this is where I look to the beat reporters and the reports are so far so good. Reading Joe B and Ty Dunne and others raving about Tyrod and how good he looked is very different than what we had to read with EJ. There was such a weird schism on this board where half the people were convinced that there was a real agenda on the reporters end to not let EJ start, instead of just accepting he wasnt any good. I trusted them there and I trust them now.

I think the only reason we get reasonable and decent reports over the last two months is Kim punched editor in chief at BN in the mouth. And i am quite serious.

BN bashed the hell out of everyone last year too.

You did notice the significant change in tone this year didn't you ? Right after the ultimatum about reporting details of practice.

I am very proud of Bills FO for taking a hard line towards the neverending bashing from the local media which spilled into national media.

looks at how many semi positive blips come up on PFT about the Bills now , as compared to last year.

Good post. And like five of those EJ conspiracy theorists remain. There are actual living, breathing human beings who can type complete sentences that believe EJ Manuel is a better QB than Tyrod Taylor right now.

Good post. And like five of those EJ conspiracy theorists remain. There are actual living, breathing human beings who can type complete sentences that believe EJ Manuel is a better QB than Tyrod Taylor right now.

My god, this is bigger than a flat earth or chemtrails or fema camps. Pretty sure NASA is involved in keeping EJ of the field somehow.

I think the only reason we get reasonable and decent reports over the last two months is Kim punched editor in chief at BN in the mouth. And i am quite serious.

BN bashed the hell out of everyone last year too.

You did notice the significant change in tone this year didn't you ? Right after the ultimatum about reporting details of practice.

I am very proud of Bills FO for taking a hard line towards the neverending bashing from the local media which spilled into national media.

looks at how many semi positive blips come up on PFT about the Bills now , as compared to last year.

3/12 - I noticed the same in more balance. There are still many articles critical of the Bills which is fine, but at least there is some positive reporting out there.

I certainly hope this info on TT is not fluff, but real.

3/12 - I noticed the same in more balance. There are still many articles critical of the Bills which is fine, but at least there is some positive reporting out there.

I certainly hope this info on TT is not fluff, but real.

See? We're so used to jaded commentary, we can't trust good news..

'Where else would you rather be..'

You might be right about the reporters but the quote that started this post was from the QB coach not a reporter, my post was responding to the coach's assessment.

But if everyone said TT sucked in OTAs you'd buy it.

No I wouldn't buy that either...why would you make that assumption? I have been hopefully optimistic about TT my point was that you need to take all comments from coaches with a grain of salt at this time of year.

Just be clear I am definitely not one of them, EJ isn't an NFL QB

Holy crap, you're the one who is obsessed. What in the world is wrong with waiting until real games to make judgments on a player? No one cared about practice until 5 years ago and sports networks needed to fill airtime in the summer.

I do not know one Bills' fan who does not hope Taylor turns into a star QB. But why is it wrong to point out that our offense was to limit the amount of times we passed a game? Or that we beat one team with a winning record and they have a QB lots of Bills fans think is garbage (Fitz)? Or that DCs have a whole season of tape to try and take away Taylor's strengths, which happens to QBs all the time (the Mike Vick effect)?

Personally, I can't stand the preseason stuff. I would feel the same way about Taylor if they said he was doing terrible. He is the starter and playing for a monster contract. It doesn't really mean much until Baltimore.

Exactly the point I was trying to make with my original post!!!!

FWIW, Kirwan using EA animation to show how Roman is designing plays (or a play in this case) to help Tyrod out:

https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/07/06/xs-os-buffalo-decoy-screen/

Clearly Roman is a good play designer. Here are a few thoughts about that:

* We didn't have a great OL last year. Our linemen did not consistently win their one-on-one battles nor did they create a ton of push in short down situations. Yet we lead the league in rushing last year. Roman's running plays didn't always require dominant linemen. They just required competent execution.

* Rex is credited with ruining the D last year, and rightly so. I wonder, though, why he gets so little credit for recruiting Roman and encouraging DW to sign TT. A good HC builds a winning staff and helps build a winning roster. On offense, Rex did that. As HC, Rex is required for both sides of the ball. One side improved, the other side regressed. That's Rex's ambivalent record so far with Buffalo.

* I don't think we should make too much about Roman designing a passing attack that works around TT's weaknesses. Every OC tries to create a scheme - and call plays - that utilizes the strengths of their QBs and avoids their shortcomings. Let's hope things between Roman and Tyrod click even more this year.

Clearly Roman is a good play designer. Here are a few thoughts about that:

* We didn't have a great OL last year. Our linemen did not consistently win their one-on-one battles nor did they create a ton of push in short down situations. Yet we lead the league in rushing last year. Roman's running plays didn't always require dominant linemen. They just required competent execution.

* Rex is credited with ruining the D last year, and rightly so. I wonder, though, why he gets so little credit for recruiting Roman and encouraging DW to sign TT. A good HC builds a winning staff and helps build a winning roster. On offense, Rex did that. As HC, Rex is required for both sides of the ball. One side improved, the other side regressed. That's Rex's ambivalent record so far with Buffalo.

* I don't think we should make too much about Roman designing a passing attack that works around TT's weaknesses. Every OC tries to create a scheme - and call plays - that utilizes the strengths of their QBs and avoids their shortcomings. Let's hope things between Roman and Tyrod click even more this year.

I am not worried about what should be a natural progression in the OC and QBs development. I do not hope for it , i expect it.

It started last year !