Former Bills to Open High End Steakhouse in Buffalo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been using ziplock without issue - i held out because i didnt want to get a vacuum sealer too, but havent had issues.

and have done some things (creme brule for instance) using small canning jars.

Ok, I was GM of one of the most famous restaurants in the world and owned another one that I sold to Bobby Flay. What the hell are you guys talking about? Edited by chris heff

Just ordered an Anova, and an Oliso vacuum sealer. I'm such a lemming. But I'm looking forward to some perfectly cooked meat and eggs.

You are NOT a lemming--I learned about sous vide from a 5-star chef who told me that anyone who loves great food is selling themselves short if they don't have one in their home.

Just ordered an Anova, and an Oliso vacuum sealer. I'm such a lemming. But I'm looking forward to some perfectly cooked meat and eggs.

Good on you, eball. Enjoy! And don't hesitate to ask questions in either a thread or PM.

I went with the Anova immersion style, as it seemed the most flexible. You said you'd do the complete deal, why? I thought the ability to do various sizes was appealing. (It was also cheaper!)

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/default.aspx

So, where do you recommend for a good steak? :wub::wub:

I haven't lived in Buffalo in a long time and I'll admit to not being a big steakhouse fan, but I like Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. The aging is really important and hard to replicate in different locations. The steaks at the Peter Luger's in Great Neck are not as good.

As to the sous vide, it's looks interesting. I think I saw something about some chef using this method for cooking something. Maybe I'll give it a try.

How can you tell the difference between a Bills' message board and any other NFL team's message board?

The fans aren't just fans. They're also grilling masters through years of tailgate trial and effort.

Don't forget many make their own wine/beer/ale/cider etc as well. LancasterSteve used to make great ribs.

Funny thread. If you ever come to Tampa, Bern's is a must. The tour is fantastic of the wine cellar, the steaks are amazing, and the dessert room will make the wife very happy afterwards, as you travel up to the second floor for the dessert. It's pretty cool as part of the tour is through the kitchen. You see the fish in this huge tank if you choose seafood. You can pick put your own fish and they prepare to your fancy. Talk about fresh fish.

It's where all of the Presidents who make visits go for dinner. Just bring your wallet as you can imagine is not economical.

Funny thread. If you ever come to Tampa, Bern's is a must. The tour is fantastic of the wine cellar, the steaks are amazing, and the dessert room will make the wife very happy afterwards, as you travel up to the second floor for the dessert. It's pretty cool as part of the tour is through the kitchen. You see the fish in this huge tank if you choose seafood. You can pick put your own fish and they prepare to your fancy. Talk about fresh fish.

It's where all of the Presidents who make visits go for dinner. Just bring your wallet as you can imagine is not economical.

That's one of my big regrets: I lived in Sarasota for 18 years and never made it to Bern's. By all accounts it is worth the trip (and the cost). We just never made it happen.....

I haven't lived in Buffalo in a long time and I'll admit to not being a big steakhouse fan, but I like Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. The aging is really important and hard to replicate in different locations. The steaks at the Peter Luger's in Great Neck are not as good.

As to the sous vide, it's looks interesting. I think I saw something about some chef using this method for cooking something. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Petr Luger's...mmm.

I went with the Anova immersion style, as it seemed the most flexible. You said you'd do the complete deal, why? I thought the ability to do various sizes was appealing. (It was also cheaper!)

I think it's an excellent entry level - it's what I use too

It's what I have too. I've been very happy with it. I would go with a whole unit system next time largely for convenience and because I already have the Anova for vessel flexibility. If prices were vastly different I'd just get another Anova.

I'll go first: what do you recommend for a vacuum sealer?

I don't have a good recommendation as I hate mine. I owned it prior to the Anova and didn't know what I needed. I'd Recommend getting one with a wet/liquids setting so it doesn't mash your more delicate foods. Mine just has one mode and it crushes delicate food so I have to use ziplocks for that stuff. Edited by BarleyNY

At this rate we might need a fresh cooking thread over in off the wall

Lets pace ourselves then. One of my favorite threads.

Do the high end places use the sous method?

There must be a trick besides due diligence to nail it night after night under the high speed life of the grill Chef.

Put together a starter grill with my future son in law.

Has a smoke box. He is a very good cook and he wanted to learn more about slow cooking.

I feel a good summer coming up.

What was the opening date for the Restaurant ?

looking forward to some reports