Goodell today

I don't think that anyone is debating that they are viable or even incredibly profitable.

I will use another analogy that may work. If we all go to a party and are asked to bring beer, someone will bring 24 Founders All Day IPA's, others will bring a 12 pack of Bud Light and then someone will bring a 6 pack of Natty Ice. Everyone is going to have plenty of beer to drink and have a good time. The other guys at the party are just saying, "we aren't going to kick you out or anything but do you think that next time you can do better than that 6 pack of Natty Ice?"

I'm betting that guy doesn't even touch the natty he brought!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We really need to stop being so sensitive about this. Goodell works for the owners. If the Bills build a new stadium and make more money, those same owners make more money. This is not some threat. The ownership has no desire to move the team. It isn't a big deal at all.

In terms of a stadium, GB doesn't need one because they are generating the revenue as it is. In the most recent Forbes valuation article they were the 10th most valuable franchise. They probably aren't the best example. The best example is probably Oakland and they are clearly being threatened (as is SD). Those teams come in at 31 and 22 respectively. The Bills are at 32.

Are you kidding? This is a dam charity event. Goodell needs to shut up with this stuff once in a while and the press need to give this a rest. By the way GB value as a team does not reflect the income only. If they were losers like the Bills they would be at the bottom of the league. The difference between Buffalo and Green Bay is winning. GB stadium is not better than Rich/The Ralph. If the Bills go to the SB or make the playoffs 3 years in a row the talk all stops. Jersey sales go up nationally, the owners are happy....

Goodell is such a weenie. He's the Al Gore of the sports world.

The guy is actually trying to link Competitiveness in the NFL to having a shiny new stadium.

Dude, really? What a tool.

I'd rather see ownership spend millions on scouting, training, analytics and coaching. Those things can affect the quality of your team and make a real difference, unlike a stadium which has zero bearing on wins and losses.

In a year when more and more people are questioning the greedy establishments in this country, Roger stands out as the poster b'tch for the 1 percent.

Are you kidding? This is a dam charity event. Goodell needs to shut up with this stuff once in a while and the press need to give this a rest. By the way GB value as a team does not reflect the income only. If they were losers like the Bills they would be at the bottom of the league. The difference between Buffalo and Green Bay is winning. GB stadium is not better than Rich/The Ralph. If the Bills go to the SB or make the playoffs 3 years in a row the talk all stops. Jersey sales go up nationally, the owners are happy....

I'm not sure what I said that got you so upset? GB's revenue was $347M to the Bills $296M. That's a $51M difference.

In terms of winning, obviously winning helps. It's the teams job to make as much money as they can regardless of their record. It's a business. People lose sight of this sometimes. There are probably 100 plus people at OBD that do nothing but try to make money. Do you think that their job is easier or harder when the team wins? Everyone wants to win. That's obvious. There isn't a direct correlation though between winning and revenue.

Goodell is such a weenie. He's the Al Gore of the sports world.

The guy is actually trying to link Competitiveness in the NFL to having a shiny new stadium.

Dude, really? What a tool.

I'd rather see ownership spend millions on scouting, training, analytics and coaching. Those things can affect the quality of your team and make a real difference, unlike a stadium which has zero bearing on wins and losses.

In a year when more and more people are questioning the greedy establishments in this country, Roger stands out as the poster b'tch for the 1 percent.

As fans we would all rather invest in the team improving. From his standpoint though he'd rather invest in something that generates more revenue for the other owners. He's just doing his job (he is a weenie though).

I'm not sure what I said that got you so upset? GB's revenue was $347M to the Bills $296M. That's a $51M difference.

In terms of winning, obviously winning helps. It's the teams job to make as much money as they can regardless of their record. It's a business. People lose sight of this sometimes. There are probably 100 plus people at OBD that do nothing but try to make money. Do you think that their job is easier or harder when the team wins? Everyone wants to win. That's obvious. There isn't a direct correlation though between winning and revenue.

As fans we would all rather invest in the team improving. From his standpoint though he'd rather invest in something that generates more revenue for the other owners. He's just doing his job (he is a weenie though).

I am not upset. Just commentary on this ridiculous Goodell statement again. By the way there is absolutely a direct correlation between winning and income. Do you not think that the Bills income would jump by 16 to 20 % if they were in the playoffs each year. That would match GB. GB has nothing on Buffalo except the ability to win.

As a business man I DO NOT LOSE SIGHT of the business aspect. K Mart didn't lose out to Walmart because of the quality of the building they were in or the location of those buildings. The NFL is not about location it is about winning and product and then marketing. ( consider that LA has failed a number of times and GB has succeeded). The Bills do a great job of marketing poor product. A better product would make them as good as GB and Goodell would shut his mouth.

I am not upset. Just commentary on this ridiculous Goodell statement again. By the way there is absolutely a direct correlation between winning and income. Do you not think that the Bills income would jump by 16 to 20 % if they were in the playoffs each year. That would match GB. GB has nothing on Buffalo except the ability to win.

As a business man I DO NOT LOSE SIGHT of the business aspect. K Mart didn't lose out to Walmart because of the quality of the building they were in or the location of those buildings. The NFL is not about location it is about winning and product and then marketing. ( consider that LA has failed a number of times and GB has succeeded). The Bills do a great job of marketing poor product. A better product would make them as good as GB and Goodell would shut his mouth.

If there is a direct correlation between winning and revenue why is Dallas 1st and has 1 like 1 playoff win in 20 years? The Redskins are 3rd, the 49ers 4th & the Vikings (a playoff team) last. They aren't going to have a much higher ST base, they aren't going to make a lot more sponsorship money. The Bills (I think) have the highest ST base that they have ever had.

Sports are a different model. The Bills have made 95% of their revenue (or thereabouts) before kickoff on opening day. It is different from hockey, baseball and basketball in that they don't count on walk up ticket sales. That's where the record matters. The games are sold out long before they are played. The sponsorship contracts are done and the TV deal is in place.

well said..

Goodell is a NFL guy, not a team guy. When he talks about 'competitiveness, he's talking about the NFL competing for disposable dollars with other sports and entertainment options.

Obviously, at the club level, winning sells seats and attracts TV viewers. But to Goodell, Buffalo's win-loss record is irrelevant. The NFL's win-loss record will be 256-256 each year. He's looking at the NFL as a collective product.

Imagine the extremes: A NFL with 32 beautiful state-of-the-art billion dollar stadiums versus a NFL with 32 rock piles. Which is better for the NFL brand?

Soccer, MMA, lacrosse, motor sports, and other sports are attracting more and more fans. To avoid the erosion of attendance and viewership, the NFL does have to find ways to remain competitive. Improving the game day experience with better stadiums is part of the plan.

Goodell is a NFL guy, not a team guy. When he talks about 'competitiveness, he's talking about the NFL competing for disposable dollars with other sports and entertainment options.

Obviously, at the club level, winning sells seats and attracts TV viewers. But to Goodell, Buffalo's win-loss record is irrelevant. The NFL's win-loss record will be 256-256 each year. He's looking at the NFL as a collective product.

Imagine the extremes: A NFL with 32 beautiful state-of-the-art billion dollar stadiums versus a NFL with 32 rock piles. Which is better for the NFL brand?

Soccer, MMA, lacrosse, motor sports, and other sports are attracting more and more fans. To avoid the erosion of attendance and viewership, the NFL does have to find ways to remain competitive. Improving the game day experience with better stadiums is part of the plan.

A brain dead monkey could make the NFL very successful with all their teams playing in a parking lot.

If anything is going to threaten the NFL's spot on top of most sports, it's greed.

there are so many inaccuracies to this piece of aggregation. where to begin:

1) Goodell didn't make this trip to WNY to remind anyone of anything. He was asked about it and gave a very indefinitive response.

2) Goodell didn't "suggest that Bill owners Terry and Kim Pegula might want to think about a new stadium." When asked about expectations regarding a new stadium, he began by saying: "Well, i think that's one of the things Terry's going through and trying to see, what does it take to make sure that the Bills can remain here on a successful basis." ... Say what you will about the second part, but to suggest it's a reminder when the Pegulas are already doing it, doesn't make it a suggestion..

3) As threats go this isn't a threat, veiled thinly or not.

Goodell actually reined back what he's said previously, particularly during the Bills sale process when the uncertainty of new ownership placed the leverage in the NFL's court to try to pray on fears and pry as much out of WNY as possible.

It was this fear that drove Cuomo to immediately launch a new stadium study, because Cuomo wanted to make sure any prospective owner's needs and questions were immediately answered.

Keep in mind, the stadium study came into play well before the Pegulas threw their hat in the ring, so there was real uncertainty as to who the new owner might be, and whether he was an outsider. A new stadium, To have a design, location and cost in place before the owner took over was considered integral in Cuomo making his case in keeping the Bills in WNY to someone who was not from the area. It was also a move to blunt the designs and plans one certain group in Toronto already had in place.

The thinking was, if NY didn't have a stadium plan in place to present a new owner, while Toronto did, then it would be far easier for a new owner to start looking to Ontario.

Of course, an outsider didn't materialize as the front-runner once the Pegulas entered the picture. Once that happened, and it started to become evidently clear in late July that the Pegulas were going to be the new owners, the rush to produce a stadium plan became less of a priority. It's also one reason we've not heard a peep from the "New Stadium Committee."

There's essentially no need for it with the Pegulas now handling that part.

It's quite likely the Pegulas will produce plans to build a new stadium. The timing of it, however, is well down the road.

jw

John, you're a great news man!

Some of you guys need to read the whole thread before flying off the handle.

yep.

One last thing, Vic Carucci also makes a valid point that Roger is laying the groundwork for the Pegulas to eventually make their case, while also taking the focus of blame away from them. It's a good-cop/bad-cop type of scenario which is commonly used in these instances, where the outsider attracts the brunt of attention.

That said, it still goes against the narrative that Goodell put the Bills on notice that they need a stadium.

jw

How did this issue get raised again?

Did Goodell get off the plane, hop in a car, arrive at Terry Hills (or where ever) and start shouting, "The Bills need a new Stadium!!"

Or did he respond to a question as I suspect? We can't get mad at him for answering the question - we know where he and the owners stand.

It's the damn media stirring the pot at a charity event - shame on them.

It's only an issue if we make it one. I suggest we leave it to the Pegula's - they're no fools. When the time is right, they will start the conversation. Until then, let's enjoy the real team news/progress.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

How did this issue get raised again?

Did Goodell get off the plane, hop in a car, arrive at Terry Hills (or where ever) and start shouting, "The Bills need a new Stadium!!"

Or did he respond to a question as I suspect? We can't get mad at him for answering the question - we know where he and the owners stand.

It's the damn media stirring the pot at a charity event - shame on them.

It's only an issue if we make it one. I suggest we leave it to the Pegula's - they're no fools. When the time is right, they will start the conversation. Until then, let's enjoy the real team news/progress.

Jets call you today?