Goodell today

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a direct correlation between winning and revenue why is Dallas 1st and has 1 like 1 playoff win in 20 years? The Redskins are 3rd, the 49ers 4th & the Vikings (a playoff team) last. They aren't going to have a much higher ST base, they aren't going to make a lot more sponsorship money. The Bills (I think) have the highest ST base that they have ever had.

Sports are a different model. The Bills have made 95% of their revenue (or thereabouts) before kickoff on opening day. It is different from hockey, baseball and basketball in that they don't count on walk up ticket sales. That's where the record matters. The games are sold out long before they are played. The sponsorship contracts are done and the TV deal is in place.

Dallas is a rich area...so is Washington with more government money than they know what to do with. Ticket prices are higher. Buffalo cannot support the highest ticket prices in the league.

You could put the new Dallas stadium in Buffalo or Orchard Park and it would not succeed as it does in Dallas....it also would not make it in GB.

The Bills have made 95% of the revenue by kickoff each year...I don't think that is correct as much of the revenue comes from away games...but even if I accept that premise you miss the fact that jersey sales, national sponsorships, advertising sales, and road crowds depend on winning. GB is a better draw and receives more national sponsorship in stadium money than Buffalo. Why...because they are on TV during the year often and in the playoffs with millions of more viewers than the Bills.

That way the Bills replace Bert's Bikes ads with national ads and thus more revenue. The teams gets General Motors sponsorship rather than the local Chevy dealer.

Sponsors on the Jumbo Tron would have 50,000,000 viewers not 500,000. That is $$$$$$$

Dallas is a rich area...so is Washington with more government money than they know what to do with. Ticket prices are higher. Buffalo cannot support the highest ticket prices in the league.

You could put the new Dallas stadium in Buffalo or Orchard Park and it would not succeed as it does in Dallas....it also would not make it in GB.

The Bills have made 95% of the revenue by kickoff each year...I don't think that is correct as much of the revenue comes from away games...but even if I accept that premise you miss the fact that jersey sales, national sponsorships, advertising sales, and road crowds depend on winning. GB is a better draw and receives more national sponsorship in stadium money than Buffalo. Why...because they are on TV during the year often and in the playoffs with millions of more viewers than the Bills.

That way the Bills replace Bert's Bikes ads with national ads and thus more revenue. The teams gets General Motors sponsorship rather than the local Chevy dealer.

Sponsors on the Jumbo Tron would have 50,000,000 viewers not 500,000. That is $$$$$$$

The away games is the same thing. The league divides up the ticket revenue with a portion going to the home team and a smaller portion to the road team. That is why the league wants the Bills to get a new stadium. They want that road team portion to increase to get more in line with the rest of the league.

I don't miss that point at all. I spent 8 years in pro sports doing just that. The national sponsorship money is split amongst the teams. That is why the TV deal provides so much cash. The local sponsorships are the only things that stay with the teams. This will consist of branding of clubs, naming rights, liquor deals, restaurant deals, signage in the stadium as well as radio advertising. These are "non-shared" revenue sources. The league really doesn't care a ton about these because they stay with the individual teams.

Please, I am begging you that I do not want to go down this road again. You just need to trust me that there isn't a correlation between winning teams and revenue in the NFL. Other sports there is because the extra games (playoffs) produce a good chunk of ticket revenue. The ticket revenue is a drop in the bucket in the NFL when it comes to how important that money is. It is getting that way in the NBA now too with their giant TV deal.

Edited by Kirby Jackson