Big Fat Rob Ryan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plenty of Fat NFL coaches - Denny Green, Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Bill Parcells, Rex Ryan, Wade Phillips, Mike McCarthy and of course Bellichiks bookends assitants Weiss and Crennel. Can you coach fat or skinny?

Maybe that's what coaches mean by being "multiple"?

Those numbers are unimpressive. I don't get it with these guys. Rob had a couple of good years here and there, not really consistent. Rex is living off his Ravens D, which had a couple of HOF players and his success with the Jets years ago. How are the Ryan's precieved as defensive geniuses? They have anointed themselves. I don't even understand Buddy, that Bear D was great but what about the rest of his career? That "Ryan name" nonsense is just that.

Edited by chris heff

Those numbers are unimpressive. I don't get it with these guys. Rob had a couple of good years here and there, not really consistent. Rex is living off his Ravens D, which had a couple of HOF players and his success with the Jets years ago. How are the Ryan's precieved as defensive geniuses? They have anointed themselves. I don't even understand Buddy, that Bear D was great but what about the rest of his career? That "Ryan name" nonsense is just that.

If Buddy's Bears D wasn't enough (!) , check out what he did in Philly in the early 90's.

He changed the how the game was played.

i might be in the minority here though

Points are the key, not yards and these numbers don't look good. Let's face it, if his last name was not Ryan, he would not be in the league.

Wrong you need to look at everything if you want to be educated correctly.

If I was Rob Ryan, I wouldn't be highlighting that my last HC felt he had to take control of the defense from me...

Just further shows how screwed up NO is... I mean even with Brees the HC doesn't know how to win and the FO makes many stupid financial decisions.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Wrong you need to look at everything if you want to be educated correctly.

Just further shows how screwed up NO is... I mean even with Brees the HC doesn't know how to win and the FO makes many stupid financial decisions.

Once they got rid of Jimmy Graham it got wierd

So, Rex has been a DC or HC for 11 years and you're saying, well if you throw out his first 7 or 8 years, he sucks. You may not like the guy, but you can't erase 3/4 of his career to try to prove your point.

9 of his 11 years, Rex's defense was top 8 in yards allowed, 6 of those years top 10 in points allowed (and some of the low years in points with the Jets were probably due to an anemic offense and lack of defensive personnel). He had 4 years (2 with the Ravens and 2 with the Jets) that you could arguably say that he had the best defense in the NFL (that's more than 1/3 of the years he's coached).

And I was never a fan of Buddy, but you have to give the guy his due. He created a defense, the "46", that gave HOF coaches like Bill Walsh headaches. Walsh said, "It's really the most singular innovation in

defensive football in the last twenty years."

In 14 of the16 years as DC/HC, Buddy's defense ranked top 15 in points allowed (8 of those years in the top 5) and 9 of those years his defense was top 12 in yards given up.

He had 6 years of having one of the best (top 5) defenses overall in the NFL and of course, the one year where he had one of the best defenses of all-time.

Now, I agree, that looking at Rob's DC rankings (based solely on yards and points allowed) is not pretty. 2 or 3 good years out of 12. But, Rob is not our defensive coordinator!!!!

Rex and DT are. And just as some guys are great coordinators, but not great head coaches (Buddy for example); other guys may be great coaches, but not suited for the coordinator

role. Rob may be a great coach who can help out in so many areas, beyond just being great support for his brother and it doesn't matter what his record was as a DC, because that

is not his role with this team. And maybe, just, maybe, being twins, Rex and Rob will actually be better together than they were apart.

I don't know if things will work out with Rex as our HC, I certainly hope so and my gut says it will, but nothing is certain.

But, like them or hate them, it's pretty hard to say that the Ryan's impact on the NFL (i.e., their name) is nonsense.

So, Rex has been a DC or HC for 11 years and you're saying, well if you throw out his first 7 or 8 years, he sucks. You may not like the guy, but you can't erase 3/4 of his career to try to prove your point.

Or has everyone caught up to what he does?

Just everyone is doing it better now. :D

The game evolves, no question. You know my point was about Buddy.

But it is still football .

Or has everyone caught up to what he does?

This year will tell won't it ?

They all have their methods and twists.