The NFL Selects Sites for Super Bowls in 2019, 2020, & 2021

It seems everybody I know who went to all 4 Bills Super Bowls said the one in Minny was the most fun. I listen to DC radio every day, and they have also mentioned that was the most fun for them, too.

My uncle went to all 4 super bowls & said the most fun one was minny. The nice weather helps but he said everything was so organized & the city was so accommodating. He said they had a blast there. He said the one in LA was the worst. Nice weather isn't everything.

I do agree New Orleans should at minimum have the bowl there 1 every 4 years. From what I hear Indy put on a pretty good show also.

While I have mixed feelings about the possibility of a downtown stadium for the Bills, I prefer for cities with downtown stadiums to host the Super Bowl.

If I had my way, the rotation would be:

1. New Orleans

2. Indianapolis

3. Seattle

4. Atlanta

Then make every fifth year a wildcard. Do something different, like they did with the New Jersey Super Bowl.

A Lot has changed.

Atlanta has come a very long way. The food scene rivals some of the best anywhere in America. Night life is great. The downtown area has undergone a vast revitalization movement. If you come back, let me know. I can point you in the right direction.

Second that.

Food scene here is amazing. It's definitely become a foodies' paradise. Five years ago, you couldnt even get a good pizza.

Downtown still sucks. With bumbling city management and useless attractions like the trolley etc., there's no reason to go down there. The new revitalized neighborhoods, like Inman Park, and the Beltline, is where it's at.

Love living intown now. A Buffalo Bills Super Bowl here would be a dream

A Lot has changed.

Atlanta has come a very long way. The food scene rivals some of the best anywhere in America. Night life is great. The downtown area has undergone a vast revitalization movement. If you come back, let me know. I can point you in the right direction.

Has it changed much in it's perception as the worst sports town in the country?

Many people have told me this about Atlanta in the past.

People here are rabid sports fans, as long as the sport is college football.

Unfortunately, most teams are out of town but there are plenty of UGA, Auburn, Alabama, etc. fans here. Even Georgia Tech required my tennis team to almost double the number of ideal members due to GT football games and guys being unavailable on Saturdays (we had a heavy GT mix).

If you can have a Super Bowl in Minneapolis, you can have one in Buffalo.

Minneapolis included 19,000 full service hotel rooms in its bid

I haven't seen super current number but the greater buffalo area has probably 60% of that if you include limited service and get 100% participation

I haven't seen super current number but the greater buffalo area has probably 60% of that if you include limited service and get 100% participation

We're getting closer everyday, and could certainly be there within 5-7 years (or whatever the timeline for the new stadium would be).

We need to have Uber/Lyft available in the area by then too. It's really friggin embarrassing having people from out of town visit nowadays, and have to explain to them that there is no Uber for getting around. It really flags us as a 2nd rate city.

We're getting closer everyday, and could certainly be there within 5-7 years (or whatever the timeline for the new stadium would be).

We need to have Uber/Lyft available in the area by then too. It's really friggin embarrassing having people from out of town visit nowadays, and have to explain to them that there is no Uber for getting around. It really flags us as a 2nd rate city.

The most recent number I saw was a couple years ago and was sub 10k TOTAL hotel rooms in the county and sub 2500 in the city and you think there will be enough inventory to bid 19,000 full service hotel rooms willing to sign an NFL contract within a few years?

That's without digging into event space, transportation airport capabilities, etc....

I don't think there's any shame being a city that isn't up to the NFL standard. Buffalo isn't the same type of stage but can still be great

The most recent number I saw was a couple years ago and was sub 10k TOTAL hotel rooms in the county and sub 2500 in the city and you think there will be enough inventory to bid 19,000 full service hotel rooms willing to sign an NFL contract within a few years?

That's without digging into event space, transportation airport capabilities, etc....

I don't think there's any shame being a city that isn't up to the NFL standard. Buffalo isn't the same type of stage but can still be great

Everyone loves the Skyway System in Minny. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Skyway_System

Isn't it a state law that is ;preventing us from getting Uber? That somehow NYC is exempt from?!?

Do hotels in Niagara Falls, Canada count?

But beyond metro size and bed counts, I'm saying if you can have a Super Bowl in a frigid Midwestern city, there is no reason we couldn't host one, assuming the hotel thing can work.

Buffalo will host the World Hockey Junior Championship in 2018. My gut says that's a trial run on Buffalo's Super Bowl hosting potential.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

But beyond metro size and bed counts, I'm saying if you can have a Super Bowl in a frigid Midwestern city, there is no reason we couldn't host one, assuming the hotel thing can work.

Buffalo will host the World Hockey Junior Championship in 2018. My gut says that's a trial run on Buffalo's Super Bowl hosting potential.

Maybe? I don't think the NFL wants an international border in its ideal world. I'll also stress again that the Minnesota number is all full service rooms meeting minimum requirements and thats what's contracted with the league (more outside that)

And like I said - transportation, airlift, even size of the emergency personnel staffs may be further issues. Even if buffalo could handle the crowd, I don't know that they would meet NFL bid requirements which are very high and comprehensive across a cities capabilities.

I'm not familiar with the requirements with the world junior hockey championships but I think that it's likely a completely different scope. The game itself is just a small piece.

I'll also say again that from what I've heard the NFL will be moving away from the current bid model sooner rather than later-- so curveballs may come but the changes discussed are to get premium (warm) destinations.

Edited by NoSaint

Maybe? I don't think the NFL wants an international border in its ideal world. I'll also stress again that the Minnesota number is all full service rooms meeting minimum requirements and thats what's contracted with the league (more outside that)

And like I said - transportation, airlift, even size of the emergency personnel staffs may be further issues. Even if buffalo could handle the crowd, I don't know that they would meet NFL bid requirements which are very high and comprehensive across a cities capabilities.

I'm not familiar with the requirements with the world junior hockey championships but I think that it's likely a completely different scope. The game itself is just a small piece.

I'll also say again that from what I've heard the NFL will be moving away from the current bid model sooner rather than later-- so curveballs may come but the changes discussed are to get premium (warm) destinations.

There's no question that the NFL would rather have the Super Bowl in warmer climes. But they still have an unwritten rule that grants a Super Bowl to every market that builds a new stadium.

Buffalo's hotel occupancy rates continue to plummet. Just over half the rooms are filled per quarter. It dropped recently because they are building too many new rooms.

Why on earth would developers shoot for, what, 19,000 rooms when the ones they have are nearly half empty?

Buffalo has already held a world juniors tournament, it's not a trial run for a super Bowl.....

The world juniors is different too, it's over a longer period of time and outside of Canada, buffalo and some European countries, it's not a huge deal. It doesn't attract the big name celebrities and isn't a huge spectacle like the Superbowl. The NFL wants steak and lobster for the super Bowl (big name, warmer cities), big name colder cities are like the chicken breast or salmon, Buffalo, to the people that would be in attendance at the Superbowl, would be a bologna sandwich.

Buffalo has already held a world juniors tournament, it's not a trial run for a super Bowl.....

The world juniors is different too, it's over a longer period of time and outside of Canada, buffalo and some European countries, it's not a huge deal. It doesn't attract the big name celebrities and isn't a huge spectacle like the Superbowl. The NFL wants steak and lobster for the super Bowl (big name, warmer cities), big name colder cities are like the chicken breast or salmon, Buffalo, to the people that would be in attendance at the Superbowl, would be a bologna sandwich.

Just curious, what food is Minneapolis? Lutefisk?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just curious, what food is Minneapolis? Lutefisk?

Minny airport moves 37m passengers a year, buffalo 4-5m

Minny convention center 475k sq ft exhibition space, buffalo-niagara 110k

Promo, I know you don't like it but Minneapolis is simply a more equipped city for huge events. That doesn't mean it's a better city but does mean it's a lot more able to host this type of event

Well, I was hoping for 2019 back in New Orleans but I knew that it was a longshot. New Orleans didn't exactly kiss the NFL ring last time and I guess that it rubbed them the wrong way. They have all of these outrageous demands on hotel rates, cab rates, etc.. and supposedly not everyone was on board with adhering to them. That's how they lost 2018 to Minnesota. I don't know the story too well (at all) but that definitely plays a role.

I'm hoping for another one soon. It was a blast last time. Without sounding like a homer there isn't a city in the country better equipped to handle a major sporting event than New Orleans. Everything is within walking distance.

The SB is a corporate and not a fan event. I've been to three with the Bills. I will not attend another unless someone else is picking up the tab. The NFL has lost touch with the reality of everyday fans. Money reigns, I guess it has to as the NFL is a business. Soon the Super Bowl will be played at an international location because some city will put up gobs of money to land it.

The SB is a corporate and not a fan event. I've been to three with the Bills. I will not attend another unless someone else is picking up the tab. The NFL has lost touch with the reality of everyday fans. Money reigns, I guess it has to as the NFL is a business. Soon the Super Bowl will be played at an international location because some city will put up gobs of money to land it.

I believe that to be 100% true, but corporations entertain individuals who make decisions that benefit corporations. It's not Bills fans vs evil Cowboy fans. The "people" want to be entertained in desirable places.

Atlanta is a great sports town. People like taking shots at it and for some good reasons. But as more people grow up in this city the better it will get. As the transplants have had children and now they have kids, it's only a matter of time. You can already sense it. Last year when the Hawks went on their incredible run in January, everyone followed them. Every game was sold out. Winning helps to bring fandom to a new level. Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Towns full of transplants and attractive options tend not to do well I the "fan ratings". Atlanta is changing slowly it seems, but it's not really a serious sports town (unless it's bowl time and hosting fans). People have more interest in their college football than any other option here.

There's a reason LA hasn't had a team in forever! Places like Buffalo, KC and Green Bay are where you want to be on game day.

I believe that to be 100% true, but corporations entertain individuals who make decisions that benefit corporations. It's not Bills fans vs evil Cowboy fans. The "people" want to be entertained in desirable places.

This is the sad truth.

The real fans mean very little to the NFL these days.

Well said Augie!! I have a lot of friends that work for liquor and beer companies here. Consequently we had tons of access to parties and stuff. Every night was somewhere different, with someone hosting their top clients and some super famous person or group performing. It was great for us but it clearly wasn't full of big time Ravens and 49ers fans. There were some for sure but it was mostly corporate people and losers like us.