Browns release Brian Hartline

He had 1 less catch and 29 less yards than Woods last year. He did that with Johnny Manziel, Josh McCown and Austin Davis throwing him the football. If you don't want to call that equivalent that's up to you. He ran a 4.52 almost 10 years ago compared to Woods more recent 4.51. The irony is that I think of all of the players in the NFL Hartline MAY be the best comparison for Woods. They are very, very similar. If you can get Hartline for 2 years at $5M it is a much better deal than paying Woods $6M a year starting in 2017.

Clay to me is a bit of a wild card and a guy that they need to use more. His talent is there. I don't think that Hartline could ever be more valuable to the passing game than Clay or Watkins. I absolutely think that he can be as valuable as Woods. They are virtually the same guy.

Fixed that for you. This thread has turned into the same dumpster fire that is Brian Hartline's career in its twilight.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed that for you. This thread has turned into the same dumpster fire that is Brian Hartline's career in its twilight.

It was in 2009, Woods was in 2013. They were 4 years apart.

I really don't think that I am missing it. They are virtually the same player. They are both high end number 3's with similar skill sets. It's odd that you are high on Woods and low on Hartline? They are the same guy (except for Woods' exceptional blocking).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He'd be the Bills #3 WR instantly. He's not a special player, but he'd be dependable. I don't know if he'd be better than Hogan or not, but that's kind of a moot point at this juncture.

he has good hands, fights for the ball, runs good routes, competes every week, and approaches the game like a professional. IMO

I don't understand how this thread became contentious. If Hartline was brought in he would have to compete for a job. If he is slow and done for then he won't make the team, if he can still play then he might make the team. What is the problem?

I don't understand how this thread became contentious. If Hartline was brought in he would have to compete for a job. If he is slow and done for then he won't make the team, if he can still play then he might make the team. What is the problem?

It's a one man show making all the odd anti Hartline ruckus.

Get er dun buddy.

That would make him #1 WR on this team...

???

I think the Bills should take a look at him. He's a good player. He could compete with Woods for the #2 spot IMO. Coming off injury, would be relatively cheap. He was at about 3mill/yr with Cleveland.

@profootballtalk

Browns release veteran WR Brian Hartline, per source.

If going to kick the tires of a veteran why not Marlon Brown who has size (6-5) and spent a little time with Tyrod in Baltimore.

I'm all for giving players like Hankerson & Salas a chance to see what they've got.

I think adding Hartline would be a plus. He's a veteran and would easily battle for the #3 spot. It wouldn't hurt to give him a chance.

Based on what? One game against the Jets?

I've been saying all offseason, the receivers outside of Sammy are mediocre at best.

and you base your medicore evaluation on one game vs the jets

I got NOTHING against adding to the training camp competition..but hey...Salas did look good when given the opportunity

I think the Bills should take a look at him. He's a good player. He could compete with Woods for the #2 spot IMO. Coming off injury, would be relatively cheap. He was at about 3mill/yr with Cleveland.

@profootballtalk

Browns release veteran WR Brian Hartline, per source.

Every time I saw him, he dropped passes and looked horrible. I don't know how much of that was him or that scrub Tannenhill. . .but I am not sold. Minor contract with minimual commitment yet. . .roster spot needs to be earned

He drives slow so he's unlikely to arrive places in a timely fashion and he went to Ohio State, which means it will probably take him some time to learn the playbook. Maybe he will drop some of these habits if he leaves Ohio.