SI.com proposal for a 22-week NFL season

Rubes

I don't have any problem with adding SOME byes if it helps the players recovery and the quality of ball played. I'm not sure going from 1 to 6 is reasonably going to fly. The weather in January and February is a huge issue with not all teams up north having built domed stadiums. I hate the pro bowl idea, wish the darn thing would just go away forever.

I love the idea. More opportunity to watch every team, and greater likelihood of not losing a key player all season to injury.

Players would still break bones and tear ligaments that would cause them to miss the entire season regardless of how many bye weeks

It's a good thought but it ignores the vested interest the league has in fantasy football.

If this were legitimate reason for an idea like this not making it, people should be shot!

It's a good idea, perhaps 22 weeks is too long but the idea of giving teams more than 1 bye week is long over due. The league talks about how physical the game is and how little rest players get, adding a few extra week with no extra game is fine. Create more TV opportunities for every team and everyone knows the NFL dominates TV ratings.

Simple modification, every teams must be active on week #1 and the last week. No team can plays less than 2 games in a row before getting a bye. All the Thursday's game feature teams coming off a bye (no more 4 day weeks).

Everyone wins, except fantasy and you know what, season long leagues are going extinct anyhow, it's all about one day fantasy (sorry NYS).

It's a good thought but it ignores the vested interest the league has in fantasy football.

Except they can make waaaay more money selling 22 weeks of football ads on TV and won't lose a nickel on fantasy football. In fact, the greedy owners vested in daily fantasy sports stand to make more.

I'm actually surprised the league hasn't tried this yet, maybe next cba. I will say that they'd have to back it up into the summer to avoid winters in the cold weather domeless cities like Bflo, GB, Cleveland, etc.

Players likely won't go for it being that long, cutting into their offseasons and constricting their time off.

You guys are underestimating the level of popularity that fantasy brought to the NFL. Football is the only sport that fans will watch out of market games on the regular, that started with gambling and was multiplied exponentially with the popularity of fantasy. I'm to busy to google up some numbers and studies at the moment. I will do some research tomorrow while I'm on the clock.

Start a little earlier (with fewer pre-season games) and avoid running into March Madness and the conference tournaments. Pre-season is garbage. They would still have ample opportunity to evaluate those guys.

I think more byes are good for they will allow more players to recover during season from injuries but they will need more short term injury slots.

Not think the broadcasting partners will like this schedule at all - what are they to show in weeks which no game is being shown?

Agree about not attempting to play regular season games in late January and playoff games in February unless league (not cities) pay for all cities which currently do not have them "North of the 49th parallel" - I think the idea of a championship game at end of February is crazy!

I think more byes are good for they will allow more players to recover during season from injuries but they will need more short term injury slots.

Not think the broadcasting partners will like this schedule at all - what are they to show in weeks which no game is being shown?

Agree about not attempting to play regular season games in late January and playoff games in February unless league (not cities) pay for all cities which currently do not have them "North of the 49th parallel" - I think the idea of a championship game at end of February is crazy!

There would be no weeks where everyone would be on bye (except x-mas time). So the networks would should 22 primetime games, and 44 daytime (effectively) games.

I would think that 19 weeks (aka 3 byes) would be more reasonable for the near term. The reality is that the season is grinding where less frequent games would be better for the players, and they should increase gameday roster size (special teams players + more backups= less wear and tear and more rotation).

Week Under Review: Welcome to the NFL’s new 22-week regular season

Starts in September and finishes with the Super Bowl in early March. Season is split up with 5 or 6 byes/breaks, with a potential solution for the Pro Bowl.

Discuss.

sounds good to me as it gives more time to watch more games.

The byes will give players breaks from week to week grind although they probably prefer to have more time off but I would love months off of work and get paid millions too but that's not happening so players can deal with it as far as I'm concerned.

Drop the probowl, no one cares, just nominate all star teams like the MVP and call it good.

Way too long.

How far back are you going to push the NFL Combine? They will not want to have that going on in February during the playoffs.

Would this push the NFL Draft into May? Memorial Day weekend?

I'd like to see the league add 1 more bye week so each team gets 2 bye's in an 18 week schedule and also start the season a week earlier. And possibly eliminate 1 pre-season game bringing that down to 3 per team. Maybe its because I have absolutely no interest in fantasy football but to me 22 weeks is way too long.

Agreed. A second bye, only three pre-season games as the coaches need some games to evaluate players 45-53. A third wildcard so only one team in each conference gets a bye, and a 17 game season. Either let more dress on game day or add to the practice squad.

More TV money so bigger contracts for the players, and we get a little more real football time. It won't happen, unless the unlikely chance in the next CBA, but would be fun.

Super Bowl on Presidents day weekend work back from there for dates two buys also schedual should be set up to play non confernce games first then first round of in division games then conference games followed by final round of division games. Least important games played first most important last.

If this were legitimate reason for an idea like this not making it, people should be shot!

It's a good idea, perhaps 22 weeks is too long but the idea of giving teams more than 1 bye week is long over due. The league talks about how physical the game is and how little rest players get, adding a few extra week with no extra game is fine. Create more TV opportunities for every team and everyone knows the NFL dominates TV ratings.

Simple modification, every teams must be active on week #1 and the last week. No team can plays less than 2 games in a row before getting a bye. All the Thursday's game feature teams coming off a bye (no more 4 day weeks).

Everyone wins, except fantasy and you know what, season long leagues are going extinct anyhow, it's all about one day fantasy (sorry NYS).

That is definitely a concern for the league. Fantasy football is one the drivers that makes the NFL so popular. It would be like banning NCAA brackets for the tournaments. Half the people would not watch it then.

& it should be noted I don't play fantasy football so I really could careless.

More games could mean more injuries , would need a bigger roster size .

Still only a 16 game regular season.

I actually would love this kind of season. Healthier teams, more opportunity to see more teams play and a longer season.

This schedule would have another big advantage - travel by international teams and US teams to international venues would be much more viable. International players would have longer seasons in other countries though. But they'd presumably get some more downtime at home during the season.

Agreed. A second bye, only three pre-season games as the coaches need some games to evaluate players 45-53. A third wildcard so only one team in each conference gets a bye, and a 17 game season. Either let more dress on game day or add to the practice squad.

More TV money so bigger contracts for the players, and we get a little more real football time. It won't happen, unless the unlikely chance in the next CBA, but would be fun.

A bye for only the regular season conference champion might eliminate some of the practice of resting starters and having that factor into the results of games that last couple weeks of the season. An extra wild card might mean either 3 games on both Saturday and Sunday or 2 games on Saturday, 3 on Sunday, and a Monday night playoff game. I'd take one more step and say if the 1st wild card (the 5th seed) has a better record than the 4th division champ (the 4th seed) then the wild card gets the home game on wildcard weekend. No tie breakers to decide this just record vs. record where the wild card team's record must be better with ties going to the 4th seeded division champ. I'll wager that would add another level of interest and unpredictability which would generate a lot of attention.