Bills related Time Travel - What would you change?

I would have taken Rob Johnson in the 2nd Round of the 1995 draft instead of Todd Collins. As it might have expedited the process to see how good/bad he was and not trade for Billy Joe Hobert and of course then not have to give up the 1st Round and 4th round picks we eventually gave up to get RJ to begin with etc. It's odd how that one mistake spiraled into so many other ones.

It's about him not becoming who he is. I hope they draft him, break him apart, and release him to flip burgers

Rob walked off the field a winner. Titans D got them to the super bowl. No telling that Flutie would have done better.

Remember, Flutie lost our playoff game against the Dolphins with his fumble.

Not to mention Flutie was horrible down the stretch as our offense was averaging less than 17 points per game the last 5 games with Flutie starting but people keep remembering the 1998 Flutie not the 1999 version.

Edited by The Jokeman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread topic.

I've always thought the Bills should have tabled the Steelers an offer they couldn't refuse for trading up to nab Big Ben. I'm talking, RG3 offer before there was ever an RG3 offer. it wouldn't have had to have been that big, but you get my point.

Its pretty evident we went into the draft wanting a QB. And enough has leaked regarding how much the Bills liked Big Ben.

I would have taken Rob Johnson in the 2nd Round of the 1995 draft instead of Todd Collins. As it might have expedited the process to see how good/bad he was and not trade for Billy Joe Hobert and of course then not have to give up the 1st Round and 4th round picks we eventually gave up to get RJ to begin with etc. It's odd how that one mistake spiraled into so many other ones.

Not to mention Flutie was horrible down the stretch as our offense was averaging less than 17 points per game the last 5 games with Flutie starting but people keep remembering the 1998 Flutie not the 1999 version.

Even then, he could still out-play Johnson. Watching the offense when Johnson was the QB was like watching paint dry. It was so sluggish, we were eeking

out 12 or 13 points a game. One of the big problems with that, is that he had zero ( 0 ) pocket presence. Plus he was slow reading defenses. A slug.

I wouldn't change a damned thing because then we wouldn't be where we are now.

And where would you rather be than right here, right now!

GO BILLS!!!

Most excellent post !!

I was thinking i would have different parents, but you have brought me back down to earth. It is what it is.

In an OTW topic /dev/null mentioned that if he could time travel he might go back and kneecap Tom Brady at the combine. I thought it would make for a fun topic: So what say you, Bills fans, you have one trip only to take in a time machine and you must go back and alter an event that was connected to your beloved Bills. What time frame are you going to and what event are you altering?

Here's one to start it off: I'm going back to the day before the 2004 draft and I'm convincing Tom Donahoe that he can't sit pat at the 13th spot and that he needs to swing a trade with Houston at number 10 to draft the person that he is hoping falls to him at 13, QB Ben Roethlisberger.

Your turn to take the Bills time machine for a spin.

I'll throw one out there that I didn't see mentioned:

Going back to the post-AFL Championship teams...

Not trading Daryle 'The Mad Bomber' Lamonica to the Raiders in 1967. That trade epitomized the dark days that ensued in the late '60s and into the '70s.

The day I decided to switch allegiances from The Cowboys to the Bills. I grew up a Cowboys fan but when Jerrah got rid.of Landry and replaced him with Bob's Big Boy, I chose to be a Bills fan. At least I'm not an a hole cowboy fan.

As far as obvious moves that clearly should have been made at the time (No one realistically thought Brady should have been drafted by the Bills). Since 2000 the following come to mind.

1- Resigning Pat Williams

2- Drafting Gronk over Troup

3- Drafting Nagta over Whitner

3b- Drafting Mangold over McCargo

4- Not trading up for JP Losman

5- Not drafting CJ Spiller

Honorable mention Orakpo over Maybin

So many boneheaded moves made in the 2010 and 2006 drafts, on top of that throw in the Losman trade and the failure to resign Pat Williams and you have a long playoff drought. In 1 draft the Bills could have had Nagta and Mangold both would have anchored the interior of both the offensive and defensive lines for the rest of the decade and into the next one. In 2010 they could have selected Earl Thomas, Mike Upati, or JPP and then gotten Gronk. The Losman trade was throwing multiple premium draft picks after a bad QB.

But the biggest blunder in terms of obviousness at the time of it happening was Pat Williams, Pat wanted to stay with the Bills seeking a fair offer, but the Bills beyond low balled him and he left for a more than reasonable contract with the Vikings where he was a monster DT from 05 to 09 (Not sure how good he was his last year there in 2010 but he started most of their games that season). The Bills let the man who could have anchored their defense for the next 5-6 years walk away because they low balled him. Just such a stupid move, everyone at the time knew it too which makes it that much more frustrating.

Edited by billsfan89

Great thread topic.

I've always thought the Bills should have tabled the Steelers an offer they couldn't refuse for trading up to nab Big Ben. I'm talking, RG3 offer before there was ever an RG3 offer. it wouldn't have had to have been that big, but you get my point.

Its pretty evident we went into the draft wanting a QB. And enough has leaked regarding how much the Bills liked Big Ben.

I actually think Big Ben wouldn't have been very successful in Buffalo, early in his Steelers days that team was stacked and they minimized Big Ben's impact on games. They played with a great defense, solid Special Teams, and they had a offense that ran the ball a ton and only asked Big Ben to throw the ball when needed. From 2004-2006 Big Ben wasn't that great of a QB, 2007 he started to get better, 2008 he had an OK regular season but a phenomenal playoff run, 2009 he had a good season and since 2009 he has been putting together good to great seasons consistently.

So in those developmental years from 2004 through 2006 I think that Big Ben wouldn't have had a chance to develop with the Bills. Let alone have enough talent around him to work through up and down seasons in 2007 and 2008. Granted it would have been much better than drafting Losman by trading away multiple good picks for a bum QB. But I am not so sure Big Ben would have developed in the same way he did with the Steelers in Buffalo.

Flutie over Johnson, all day everyday.

Not trading for Rob Johnson

Bottoming out in 97 and drafting Manning

Game planning for Willie Parker

Not hiring Jauron or Galiey

Keeping Jerry Bulter and AJ Smith

Not switching to those gross 2000 jerseys

Pretty much every draft class from 2000 til 2016

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't change a damned thing because then we wouldn't be where we are now.

And where would you rather be than right here, right now!

GO BILLS!!!

We'd still be here but with 4 superbowls and we wouldn't have this stupid inferiority complex about how buffalo can never win it.

The day I decided to switch allegiances from The Cowboys to the Bills. I grew up a Cowboys fan but when Jerrah got rid.of Landry and replaced him with Bob's Big Boy, I chose to be a Bills fan. At least I'm not an a hole cowboy fan.

should have waited til after the SBs

Well, I don't know you, but I doubt you're an a hole anything. Question though, why did you pick the Bills?

As far as obvious moves that clearly should have been made at the time (No one realistically thought Brady should have been drafted by the Bills). Since 2000 the following come to mind.

1- Resigning Pat Williams

2- Drafting Gronk over Troup

3- Drafting Nagta over Whitner

3b- Drafting Mangold over McCargo

4- Not trading up for JP Losman

5- Not drafting CJ Spiller

Honorable mention Orakpo over Maybin

So many boneheaded moves made in the 2010 and 2006 drafts, on top of that throw in the Losman trade and the failure to resign Pat Williams and you have a long playoff drought. In 1 draft the Bills could have had Nagta and Mangold both would have anchored the interior of both the offensive and defensive lines for the rest of the decade and into the next one. In 2010 they could have selected Earl Thomas, Mike Upati, or JPP and then gotten Gronk. The Losman trade was throwing multiple premium draft picks after a bad QB.

But the biggest blunder in terms of obviousness at the time of it happening was Pat Williams, Pat wanted to stay with the Bills seeking a fair offer, but the Bills beyond low balled him and he left for a more than reasonable contract with the Vikings where he was a monster DT from 05 to 09 (Not sure how good he was his last year there in 2010 but he started most of their games that season). The Bills let the man who could have anchored their defense for the next 5-6 years walk away because they low balled him. Just such a stupid move, everyone at the time knew it too which makes it that much more frustrating.

Why is orakpo over Maybin a honerable mention...that should be at the top of the list!

I would take the TARDIS to Ralph's house on new years day -- the first day of 2000 and persuade him NOT to order Wade to start RJ over Flutie in one weeks time.

It's my believe that intrusion-- not only being the wrong decision on game day -- was also a seismic wave across the NFL that poisoned our chances of landing a serious coaching staff from that moment until the sale of the team.

It's not even close for me.

1999 - Start Flutie vs the Texans.

The difference in that game was in the 1st half, RJ fumbles the football out of the back of the EZ. Titans get the resulting punt and short field to score their only TD of the game. No way in hell Fltie does that.

I'll throw one out there that I didn't see mentioned:

Going back to the post-AFL Championship teams...

Not trading Daryle 'The Mad Bomber' Lamonica to the Raiders in 1967. That trade epitomized the dark days that ensued in the late '60s and into the '70s.

Excellent post! That seemed to be the start of the downward trend, at least symbolically!

The difference in that game was in the 1st half, RJ fumbles the football out of the back of the EZ. Titans get the resulting punt and short field to score their only TD of the game. No way in hell Fltie does that.

True Flutie would be more apt to throw a pick 6 against the Titans. As referenced before Flutie fumbled with the our playoff game on the line against the Dolphins the year before and pretty sure he wasn't great in his other playoff performance with the 1986 Bears. Yet I know everyone wants to remember the "great" Flutie who scored on the boot leg TD in 1998.

Edited by The Jokeman

YOU GOT IT!!!