John Clayton: Bills "Regressed" in the Offseason

First team all pro 2014

Second team all-pro 2007, 2013

SN all pro 2008

So the post asserting otherwise never has been and never will be correct

Edit- also to stay on point, I get how Clayton got to his conclusion 'on paper'. It's extremely defensible given the uncertainty of rooks. If they both bust and a few stars get injured, it might be a 30th ranked defense

OK, he made a few all pro teams, but it doesn't take away from his inconsistent efforts and disappearing acts in some games in his best seasons and 2015 was still a total dog**** year full of half-assed quitter performances as the highest payed player on the team. Let Miami deal with a temperamental talent who sometimes plays well, but disappears for long stretches.

Ryan now must do more with less. The plan is to start the team's top three draft choices -- linebackers Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland, and defensive lineman Adolphus Washington. The pressure is on Ryan to get this team to the playoffs. With less talent, the job will be tougher.

I'm not buying the less talent argument from Clayton.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his 8 million dollar contract says otherwise. It has all the markings of a prove it deal. I think a lot of teams were scared off by doing their research on him. Pass rushers always get paid. Olivier Vernon got 15 Mario couldn't even get 10.

Vernon is 25 and Mario is 31, that had everything to do with it. Just sayin'

OK, he made a few all pro teams, but it doesn't take away from his inconsistent efforts and disappearing acts in some games in his best seasons and 2015 was still a total dog**** year full of half-assed quitter performances as the highest payed player on the team. Let Miami deal with a temperamental talent who sometimes plays well, but disappears for long stretches.

I'm not buying the less talent argument from Clayton.

The less talent part is plausible. We replaced Mario with a rookie. The part I have an issue with is the idea that Ryan's job will be tougher without a malcontent half-assing it on Sundays.

The less talent part is plausible. We replaced Mario with a rookie. The part I have an issue with is the idea that Ryan's job will be tougher without a malcontent half-assing it on Sundays.

Fair points to make with regard to Shaq in the lineup for Mario.

I cannot remember one post ever that said Mario Williams was better the Watt

Do you really take much stock in what the "experts" say?

We are not missing the playoffs because the "experts" say so......

Nope. But I do find it funny. Especially because they just write these things in rotations for clicks.

Meh. His argument is that the Bills had a bad season on defense and then let go or lost Mario, Bradham and McKelvin and only added minimum wage free agents. Those points are valid. But he failed to mention that they were able to get long term contract in place to keep 2 quality players (Incognito and Glenn) and keep their O-line together. They also tagged Gilmore so he can't leave and are working to keep him. They have Taylor going into his second season as starter and they will hopefully have their RBs and WRs healthy this year. They also added some quality prospects in the draft. I don't agree with him that they Bills are one of the teams that regressed the most this offseason. I think it was another lazy shot at the Bills from Clayton.

Agreed. I'm now convinced these guys that follow 32 teams are clueless, and even though Clayton is the best of the bunch in terms of overall league knowledge, I challenge him or anyone to show me any game last year where Bradham, Mario or Leodis changed the outcome.

Agreed. I'm now convinced these guys that follow 32 teams are clueless, and even though Clayton is the best of the bunch in terms of overall league knowledge, I challenge him or anyone to show me any game last year where Bradham, Mario or Leodis changed the outcome.

Bringing just those 3 names to front stage.

I can totally agree, thats enough to consider a loss of talent. We can quibble over the details , because we fans mostly " know" the details !

But those names have been associated with the positive for the Bills the last couple year by outsiders.

Bradham- up and coming, fast hard hitter.

Mario- tearing it it up for two years and was actually earning it. Still a threat though.

Leo my man- He was playing well under Donnie up until injury. came back with some rust , but shook it off .

From the outside. its a fair cop.

Rookies are the unknown.

I find it hard to say a rookie is an upgrade over Bradhah. Ragland is new to the system on top of being a rookie. As for Mario, it's also too early to say Shaq is an upgrade. He too is a rookie who has to pick up a new scheme. Plus we have a rookie we are kinda counting on at nt to produce quite a bit. On the flip side, we were pretty bad last year on d and things probably can't get much worse. Too early to call for the whole team. I think we are top 10 on offense next season, but still have issues on d. Sure the rooks seem to fit, but they are rookies and new to the defense.jmo

Im not sure that Shaq is an upgrade I just think that the gap between what he will give this year and what Mario gave last year isn't that great. I'd be shocked if Ragland wasn't an upgrade on the 2015 version of Bradham.

well i know mckelvin fumbled at a crucial time against the *cheats and it lead to a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of a game they lost. Does that count?

well i know mckelvin fumbled at a crucial time against the *cheats and it lead to a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of a game they lost. Does that count?

WTF did they let him return anything ever !

another reason Danny Crosman should have been let go twice now

Meh. His argument is that the Bills had a bad season on defense and then let go or lost Mario, Bradham and McKelvin and only added minimum wage free agents. Those points are valid. But he failed to mention that they were able to get long term contract in place to keep 2 quality players (Incognito and Glenn) and keep their O-line together. They also tagged Gilmore so he can't leave and are working to keep him. They have Taylor going into his second season as starter and they will hopefully have their RBs and WRs healthy this year. They also added some quality prospects in the draft. I don't agree with him that they Bills are one of the teams that regressed the most this offseason. I think it was another lazy shot at the Bills from Clayton.

Here's the problem with your assessment, the things you state as positives did not add to the team this year, all those things were here last season.

He didn't say we didn't have a good offseason, he said we "regressed." I'd agree. We lost more talent, at least proven talent, than we gained, until proven otherwise.

If our draftees don't all step up in an unprecedented manner under Whaley then he'll have been proven correct, that we regressed. Who knows if it's 5th regression, but we'll have regressed.

Not a huge fan of Clayton, but there isn't anything he's said which isn't true. The schedule will be tougher and they'll be starting at least 2 rookies in their defensive front 7. Not to mention, Tyrod and Roman won't have the luxury of being unknown entities.

That's not a recipe for a playoff team in most cases.

The Bills have plenty of talent to make the playoffs this year. Unfortunately, they had plenty of talent last season too so that's no guarantee obviously.