John Clayton: Bills "Regressed" in the Offseason

I hope he is wrong...but it seems like we often "pooh-pooh" the national guys when they say anything negative about the Bills...and then, at the end of every season, it turns out they were mostly right.

It's become an annual tradition.

It's easy to say we didn't regress if you assume our first 3 draft picks will immediately start and play at a high level.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guess you didn't read his whole reply which addressed your blathering.

Like it or not Mario is all pro talent - or was - maybe again and I'd not be surprised. And Harvin was a factor in what we planned for our offense. Go back and watch the first few games.

There were times a few yrs ago we said Mario should be MVP on this board and many claimed him better than JJ watt. So, disirregardless of your weak points to counter point his statements which were true - we all praised Mario 2 yrs ago. We all hated Mario 3 yrs ago until it was discovered his hand was actually injured.

Hard to refute facts. Mario Williams = all pro. Done more than any other player on this defense has.

Weak points? Tell us again how Fitz would start over Jameis Winston and Blake Bortles. :lol:

Mario is a great football talent who has played at the Pro Bowl level sometimes in his career, but he has always had inconsistency and effort issues. All Pro... Never has been and never will be.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On certain plays, yes.

Certain as in the majority of plays, or certain as in the minority plays?

Did he certainly play with effort in the majority of plays/games you watched, or did he certainly play with effort in the vast minority of plays/games I watched?

The majority of plays/games I saw he looked like a slug, sure he was on the field and expanded energy, but he certainly spent the majority of the time behaving like my son who got his kindle fire taken away and went through the motions of doing what was asked of him afterwards, of that I am certain.

Any statement that involves Buffalo regressing because 2015 Mario Williams is gone and replaced by a guy who plays like Lawson does through the draft is a joke.

He brings up the point that their defense was bad last year and then they lost Mario, Nigel, and Leodis. Mario did nothing, Nigel was bad, and Leodis was injured most of the year and then had about 1 good game. :doh:

Well said.

So in short: Addition through subtraction :thumbsup:

I think were even on the offseason losses and gains.

Were stacked at CB IMO so McKelvin no loss. Mario cost to much and wasn't a fit for Rexs D

We got Ragland so hes a plus over Bradham IMO

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/2014-ap-all-pro-team/

AP for one. I think PFWA and SN as well didn't check.

I'll have to retract my initial statement and stand corrected. But I will say that he has not been an all pro player on a perennial basis throughout the course of his career. Very good at a Pro Bowl level, but not the best of the best year in and out at the $100M level that he was being paid because there were too many stretches where he was invisible.

guess you didn't read his whole reply which addressed your blathering.

Like it or not Mario is all pro talent - or was - maybe again and I'd not be surprised. And Harvin was a factor in what we planned for our offense. Go back and watch the first few games.

There were times a few yrs ago we said Mario should be MVP on this board and many claimed him better than JJ watt. So, disirregardless of your weak points to counter point his statements which were true - we all praised Mario 2 yrs ago. We all hated Mario 3 yrs ago until it was discovered his hand was actually injured.

Hard to refute facts. Mario Williams = all pro. Done more than any other player on this defense has.

Show me the posts where someone said Williams was better than Watt. Never remembering anybody saying he should be MVP either. As usual you are full of sh*t.

Staying healthy is the main concern. If shady, watkins, tyrod, clay can stay on the field our offense never has to be a shell of itself

Trading a heartless Mario for a hopefully motivated shaq should be an upgrade, ragland will be better than bradham. Leodis was depth.

Not to mention another year in the system. They may not improve from 8-8 who knows but his reasoning is ludicrous

What nonsense. The only player he mentions whose loss may be felt is Bradham. How can we have regressed when Taylor has gained a full year of experience as a starter and young guys like Darby and Karlos

Not a huge fan of Clayton, but there isn't anything he's said which isn't true. The schedule will be tougher and they'll be starting at least 2 rookies in their defensive front 7. Not to mention, Tyrod and Roman won't have the luxury of being unknown entities.

That's not a recipe for a playoff team in most cases.

Roman was not unknown and Taylor is now experienced. I'd rather have a quarterback that produces and has become known because of that than one like EJ who is known because he doesn't produce.

have stepped in and up? And the illusion of EJ as a pro quarterback has finally been put to rest. Plus, Watkins has proven that he's a bonafide producer. We didn't regress this off-season, we more so did last off-season by bringing in Ryan and losing our DC. That's when the icing really melted on the cake.

What nonsense. The only player he mentions whose loss may be felt is Bradham. How can we have regressed when Taylor has gained a full year of experience as a starter and young guys like Darby and Karlos

Roman was not unknown and Taylor is now experienced. I'd rather have a quarterback that produces and has become known because of that than one like EJ who is known because he doesn't produce.

have stepped in and up? And the illusion of EJ as a pro quarterback has finally been put to rest. Plus, Watkins has proven that he's a bonafide producer. We didn't regress this off-season, we more so did last off-season by bringing in Ryan and losing our DC. That's when the icing really melted on the cake.

?? Last two sentences go with the initial one.

All Pro End? :lol: Mario has never been an "All Pro" in his Bills' career and certainly not in 2015 with regard to production or effort.

Percy Harvin? The guy played in 5 games. They will not miss a guy who simply has proven to be unreliable due to health issues over most of his career. Good riddance.

Wow, you are really reaching to hate on Mario. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_All-Pro_Team

I'll have to retract my initial statement and stand corrected. But I will say that he has not been an all pro player on a perennial basis throughout the course of his career. Very good at a Pro Bowl level, but not the best of the best year in and out at the $100M level that he was being paid because there were too many stretches where he was invisible.

Big mistake. Never admit you were wrong. Instead double down and shoot your way out. What would Big Cat do?

You have never been optimistic about Taylor. As I recall you were willing to give EJ every excuse in the book why he sucked for us but not willing to give Taylor any leeway. I find that interesting.

I have no idea what you are talking. First of all, Taylor was a much better starter than EJ has ever been. but let's not pretend like they started in close to the same situation. Taylor got 3 years to learn under Flacco and OCs like Kubiak (the guy who just won the SB) and Cam Cameron. EJ played as a rookie where he had the Syracuse OC as his OC and QB coach. Even though he was a 1st round pick, Taylor was developed better than EJ. Hopefully, Jones will get the same treatment.

Taylor is the clear starter. He takes care of the ball and is a great runner. I do worry about smaller Qbs who use their legs a lot. There isn't a great track record. I also think Taylor gets a pass (get it) for his passes. He throws a great deep ball but we had far too many games where we get 150 yards passing. If Losman or Manuel had the Tennessee game, people would kill them for passing for 100 yards against a 4-12 team. I do think Manuel and Tsylor are much closer as passers than folks want to admit.

If Taylor shows he can carry the team with his arm and stay healthy, he will be a paid guy. I do think EJ got a raw deal here but I just want the Bills to win. Hopefully Taylor will be the guy for the job.

He had the second best three year stretch for sacks of any Bill not named Bruce.

I believe there were only 2 or 3 active NFL players with more sacks then Mario during the 3 year stint of 2012-2014.

The guy was good in 2012, very good in 2013, and GREAT in 2014. 2015 not so much, but who on this front 7 was in 2015?

Throwing Mario under the bus is a way for Bills fans to make an excuse for Rex and have hope for the 2016 season. Some of it is deserved and some of it isnt.

Fair enough. That analogy is actually a good one.

The only numbers that dropped for Dareus and Hughes were sacks. Their tackles and assists were similar to 2014 (Hughes - from 54 to 52; Dareus - from 49 to 51).

Mario? From 42 to 19. He deserves every bit of crap he's taking from Bills fans.

Bradham, by the way? Went from 104 to 57.

Preston Brown's numbers went up, from 109 to 117.

We will never know how much better last year's defense would have been if its best player decided not to quit on his team. Not only on the field, but just as importantly, in the film room and practice as well.

But hey, I am totally fine with our best player quitting as long as he dislikes the coach as much as I do.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9