John Clayton: Bills "Regressed" in the Offseason

I listen to John Clayton every week on GR-55. As I've said before, he doesn't offer much expert insight and his comments about the Bills are often wrong.

I hope he's wrong about this off-season too!

Clayton is literally the master...I mean there is no one better...at sounding like he knows exactly what is going on at all times while being completely clueless in actuality... B-)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo (minus) 1 DE Slug (plus) 1 DE Junk Yard Dog = Regression...

Buffalo (minus) 1 Back up CB injured most of the year = Regression...

Buffalo (minus) 1 Miss-cast LB (Plus) best ILB in Draft, (bonus plus) scheme fit = Regression...

Buffalo (minus) 1 oft-injured WR who played in 5 games = Regression...

Buffalo (plus) 1 interior pass rusher = Regression...

Clearly Buffalo 2016 = DOOMED!!!

John Clayton = Lazy Turd...

p.s. Dont look up, the sky is falling.

Mario is the sacrificial lamb to 2015s disappointing defense.

I agree with those that say he probably would've been gone anyway considering his cap hit. Still I don't agree that Mario was completely useless last season. He did his job in taking up blockers and stubbornly did nothing else afterwards as he obviously didn't like the way he was being utilized.

So he quit on his teammates? Huge loss...

Not saying he's correct, but everyone here was up in arms last year when the writers were saying EJ sucked and MC or TT would win the QB starting role. They also said the Bills would struggle and probably not make playoffs. Yet all these so called experts turned out to be experts and correct. Don't discount something just because you disagree. Open your mind and maybe you'll see something if you honestly reflect. Defensively, we got rid of an all pro, have injury concerns and didn't really address a huge need at safety. On offense, we added nobody, and lost a few marginal players. So yeah, we probably did regress, now it's on the coaches to teach these folks how to play.

Can we stop referring to them as experts? They are just writers. They are no more expert than most that frequent this board. Seeing them called experts annoys me more than their opinions.

This is the perfect TBD thread - writer says Bills will regress based essentially on our losses and our need to depend on our draft class, which< BTW most experts gave a B+ / A for whatever that's worth.

Most folks rolls their eyes, but the usual suspects completely agree! I'm SHOCKED!

:beer:

I've been one of the most optimistic on this board. Even pre last season I was all in. By week 2 I saw the truth of what the Rex Ryan team was. By week 6 I saw ur was Rex Ryan.

This wasn't anything groundbreaking. Bradham and mckelvin are proven NFL talent who started most of their career and shown solid contributions. Mario Williams is Mario Williams and has shown to be one of the best de's in the league his entire career. We lost 3 great players. We hope to fill them with rookies. Big shoes to fill.

I think it means he's wrong

how

I listen to John Clayton every week on GR-55. As I've said before, he doesn't offer much expert insight and his comments about the Bills are often wrong.

Clayton picks up a few bucks calling into S&B. He's a guy who barely pays attention to the Bills and you can tell he's just pulling stuff out his colon.

The flipside is that Mario didn't play well, Ragland is an upgrade over Bradham and the QB is growing in the 2nd year in the offense.

Every year fans expect the team to improve and when the season ends it still doesn't happen. Why?

TT and Roman won't get away in 2016 with the same kind of football they did in 2015 where the QB's limitations were minimized.

The other issue is, as in previous years, the Bills will be banking on rookies to play right away and excel. This time, they'll need immediately solid play from their 1st and 2nd round picks in a defensive scheme that's overly complicated and not digested easily by even veterans.

Not to mention, they're one play away from having EJM be the starter...again.

This is the perfect TBD thread - writer says Bills will regress based essentially on our losses and our need to depend on our draft class, which< BTW most experts gave a B+ / A for whatever that's worth.

Most folks rolls their eyes, but the usual suspects completely agree! I'm SHOCKED!

:beer:

Yeah, but Billsvet and Scottlaw are NEVER pessimistic!!!! Translation:

DOOMED

Umm, do you remember the QB situation heading into training camp last year? The offense is starting off light years ahead of where it was a year ago, and do we really think the defense will be worse than last year?

I don't get the pessimism, but that's just me I guess.

I wasn't nearly as worried about the qb situation last year as some were. I thought our defense, with Rex, coming on could carry us to the playoffs with average to slightly below average qb play.

I will her excited come the season opener. But as someone who gets irrationally optimistic every year, it's time to prove it. And replacing top flight DE, when not coached by Rex, with rookies doesn't help.

His logic is reasonable. They replaced an all pro end with an unknown rookie and a decent ILB with another rookie on a defense tha underachieved already. Lost Harvin without a clear replacement.

At face value, I can see how he got there.

It's countered by citing Marios effort problem, and the potential the two rookie replacements have to outplay their predecessors along with Harvin playing so little and having some key guys back from injury.

In a nutshell I think the bills are one of the harder teams to peg down as improve or regress until we see the rookies play and how the Mike communication issues and scheme confusion are addressed

Mario is the sacrificial lamb to 2015s disappointing defense.

I agree with those that say he probably would've been gone anyway considering his cap hit. Still I don't agree that Mario was completely useless last season. He did his job in taking up blockers and stubbornly did nothing else afterwards as he obviously didn't like the way he was being utilized.

I really do believe if we played a defense similar to 2014 last year, Mario would still be here. He was plowing people out of driveways in 2014. He called out a crappy defense and was right.

Let's hope Rex just need "his guys" or else we can look forward to rebuilding the defense again to fit the next coach's "system."

His logic is reasonable. They replaced an all pro end with an unknown rookie and a decent ILB with another rookie on a defense tha underachieved already. Lost Harvin without a clear replacement.

At face value, I can see how he got there.

It's countered by citing Marios effort problem, and the potential the two rookie replacements have to outplay their predecessors along with Harvin playing so little and having some key guys back from injury.

In a nutshell I think the bills are one of the harder teams to peg down as improve or regress until we see the rookies play and how the Mike communication issues and scheme confusion are addressed

All Pro End? :lol: Mario has never been an "All Pro" in his Bills' career and certainly not in 2015 with regard to production or effort.

Percy Harvin? The guy played in 5 games. They will not miss a guy who simply has proven to be unreliable due to health issues over most of his career. Good riddance.

Yeah, but Billsvet and Scottlaw are NEVER pessimistic!!!! Translation:

DOOMED

in 10 years + I haven't been pessimistic. This goes back to losman era at the most recent

Not a huge fan of Clayton, but there isn't anything he's said which isn't true. The schedule will be tougher and they'll be starting at least 2 rookies in their defensive front 7.

I agree with this. The Bills had a nice draft, but they lost a lot of talent - even if some of that talent wasn't producing due to scheme, motivation or whatever reason. Their biggest moves were retaining some of their free agents. They'll have to rely on better use of the talent they have, familiarity with the schemes implemented last season and development of players to improve.

Some of his comments on gr about the bills as he states as facts are just flat out wrong. Schope calls him out on it once in awhile but usually drops it. My guess is he is told by producers try not to piss Clayton off. Who cares what that nerd thinks.

All Pro End? :lol: Mario has never been an "All Pro" in his Bills' career and certainly not in 2015 with regard to production or effort.

Percy Harvin? The guy played in 5 games. They will not miss a guy who simply has proven to be unreliable due to health issues over most of his career. Good riddance.

guess you didn't read his whole reply which addressed your blathering.

Like it or not Mario is all pro talent - or was - maybe again and I'd not be surprised. And Harvin was a factor in what we planned for our offense. Go back and watch the first few games.

There were times a few yrs ago we said Mario should be MVP on this board and many claimed him better than JJ watt. So, disirregardless of your weak points to counter point his statements which were true - we all praised Mario 2 yrs ago. We all hated Mario 3 yrs ago until it was discovered his hand was actually injured.

Hard to refute facts. Mario Williams = all pro. Done more than any other player on this defense has.

No one but he cbs played well In this defense. On paper, Ragland should be better but Bradham was a very so kind NFL starter in 2014. Ragland hasn't played a NFL down yet and there have been plenty of LBs that don't translate at the next level. As Bills fans, we want Taylor to take the next step but sometimes, teams get film on Qbs in the offseason and prey on the weakness.

I'm not a fan of Clayton but I don't know how you can be more optimistic this year than last year. Mario is the worst person ever now but he was a huge reason we won 9 games with a garbage offseason in 2014.

I'm over the Rex hype machine. Hopefully, the whole team shuts up and just proves it. But the good news is I'm normally the most optimistic poster for the last 10 years & this is the first year, I haven't talked myself into the playoffs. Hopefully I am as wrong about this year as I have been about the previous 10! :)

Yeah, this Mario bashing is getting old. Dude was an animal pre to Rex. Our whole defense was and a ton of guys regressed besides Mario. We rallied to get to 8-8 by beating Kellen Moore and Fitz (who I like but a lot of people here think is crap). It was not a good year by any means.

But now that Rex got rid of that lack of talent from a defense that was #3 in NFL In 2014, everything should be fine. :). Honestly, I really, really want Rex to show he is a defensive genius this year. But it's really hard to be positive after last year.

You have never been optimistic about Taylor. As I recall you were willing to give EJ every excuse in the book why he sucked for us but not willing to give Taylor any leeway. I find that interesting.

He brings up the point that their defense was bad last year and then they lost Mario, Nigel, and Leodis. Mario did nothing, Nigel was bad, and Leodis was injured most of the year and then had about 1 good game. :doh: