Ranking the starting 32 NFL QBs,TT rank is fair!

When making the list, I realized there's a large gaggle of young talent who could potentially replace the entire Brady, Ben, Rivers, Palmer, Brees old guard. Between Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Carr, Bridgewater, Taylor and even semi-young guys like Tanny and Cousins who could make strides, there's been quite an influx of QB talent in the last few years.

Obviously Newton, Luck and Wilson are already there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see half those guys listed above be in a top 10 QB list 3 years from now.

I agree with all of this. Some of these guys are going to continue the upward trajectory and start replacing some of these guys that will hit a wall soon (like Carson Palmer IMO). It's hard to differentiate amongst that tier because it kind of depends week to week. As with any decent young player they have some highs and lows. The consistency amongst them is what is going to move these guys closer to Luck, Cam and Wilson.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all of this. Some of these guys are going to continue the upward trajectory and start replacing some of these guys that will hit a wall soon (like Carson Palmer IMO). It's hard to differentiate amongst that tier because it kind of depends week to week. As with any decent young player they have some highs and lows. The consistency amongst them is what is going to move these guys closer to Luck, Cam and Wilson.

Tannehill is already Alex Smith's spiritual successor. High floor, low ceiling, get what you get kind of guy. Then again, we all said that with Dalton and he turned it up out of nowhere.

Consistency is so key. When a QB like Stafford, Flacco, Eli or Cutler are "on," they can outduel any future HoFer like Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees. They just aren't "on" 6-8 games a year compared to the truly elite who have 2-4 bad games in a normal season.

I see Bortles being a boom or bust guy more than any of them. He really slings it around. He could be the guy who gets hot and a little lucky at the right time and win a SB over a more consistent, but smaller highs player like Bridgewater.

Edited by FireChan

Gotta put Lurch Osweiler near the very bottom of this list, that dork is just way too big. Poor Texans, I don't believe there's ever been a QB that tall to have a successful career in the NFL beyond a few games, and I'd be surprised if he ends up being the first..

Flacco is 6'6'' 232 lbs and won some SB's. Brock is listed at 6'7'' 245 lbs. Cam Newton is 6'6'' 260 lbs, Big Ben is 6'5'' 240lbs, Phillip Rivers is 6'5'', Glennon is also 6'7''. EJ is 6'5''. Russell Wilson is 5'11'' and Taylor is 6'0''

I might be the only guy here who likes Osweiler and the guy did go 5-2 running that Broncos team the last seven games of the season to get them in the playoffs. He won games against two playoff teams in both the Patriots and Bengals in overtime. Thus showing he can perform well in big games. Then for the draft, the Texans went out and got two WR's an OG and a RB. In free agency, they got the Brock, OG Jeff Allen from KC and RB Lamar Miller from Miami.

I like the Texans chances to make the playoffs again this year. I like Tyrod Taylor too. The thing is, I'm a bit skeptical that the Bills can be the number one team in big plays again now that opposing teams have the film on Greg Roman's offense. The Bills were 31st in 3 downs and out percentage on offense last year and those big plays are what made that offense so good. Ahhh, September can't get here fast enough.

As I look through these lists, one thing that seems clear is that there is an abundance of talented QBs in the league--maybe more than there ever have been. The notion that the NFL is in crisis mode because of poor QB play (usually attributed to the proliferation of spread offenses in CFB) is downright laughable.

Edited by mannc

Bandit's top 4 is the top 4. Play with the order if you like but the best 4 QBs in the league remain Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben and Brees in some order.

After that you can make arguments for a few but the new breed of Wilson, Newton and Luck deserve to be in the consideration for top 6 or 7.

My list is currently probably something like:

----- Elite -----

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Big Ben

4. Brees

----- Championship Level -----

5. Newton

6. Luck

7. Romo

8. Wilson

9. Manning

10. Flacco

11. Rivers

------- Can win with ------

12. Ryan

13. Palmer

14. Stafford

15. Dalton

16. A. Smith

------- Serviceable (lot of these are young and on the rise but yet to prove you can win with them) -------

17. Bortles

18. Taylor

19. Carr

20. Cousins

21. Tannehill

22. Cutler

23. Winston

24. Mariota

25. Bridgewater

------ Not good enough --------

26. Bradford

27. Osweiler

28. RG III

29. Gabbert

30. G. Smith

31. Sanchez

------ Rookie --------

32. Goff (not played a snap)

Edited by GunnerBill

http://thecomeback.com/blog/nfl/ranking-all-32-projected-nfl-starting-quarterbacks-for-2016.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=ranking-all-32-projected-nfl-starting-quarterbacks-for-2016

Not bad list. Brady, Rogers should move up to 1-2. Tyrod is fair at 14, I have him at 11. I think Cousins is too high etc. Enjoy. I welcome your thoughts. It is the off season, and we need to discuss these matter seriously.

My personal list.

Brady

Rogers

Newton

Wilson

Roethlisberger

Romo

Luck

E.Manning

Brees

Rivers

Taylor

Palmer

Dalton

Stafford

Bortles

Ryan

Flacco

A.Smith

Cousins

Carr

Winston

Mariota

Bridgewater

Tannehill

Osweiler

Kapernick

Cutler

Bradford

Griffin

G.Smith

Sanchez

Goff

I see Bortles being a boom or bust guy more than any of them. He really slings it around. He could be the guy who gets hot and a little lucky at the right time and win a SB over a more consistent, but smaller highs player like Bridgewater.

Bortles is on the verge of taking a major step in my opinion. I know the Jags are a bit of a trendy pick this year but I think Bortles could be on the verge of becoming a top 10 QB.

Bandit's top 4 is the top 4. Play with the order if you like but the best 4 QBs in the league remain Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben and Brees in some order.

After that you can make arguments for a few but the new breed of Wilson, Newton and Luck deserve to be in the consideration for top 6 or 7.

My list is currently probably something like:

----- Elite -----

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Big Ben

4. Brees

----- Championship Level -----

5. Newton

6. Luck

7. Romo

8. Wilson

9. Manning

10. Flacco

11. Rivers

------- Can win with ------

12. Ryan

13. Palmer

14. Stafford

15. Dalton

16. A. Smith

------- Serviceable (lot of these are young and on the rise but yet to prove you can win with them) -------

17. Bortles

18. Taylor

19. Carr

20. Cousins

21. Tannehill

22. Cutler

23. Winston

24. Mariota

25. Bridgewater

------ Not good enough --------

26. Bradford

27. Osweiler

28. RG III

29. Gabbert

30. G. Smith

31. Sanchez

------ Rookie --------

32. Goff (not played a snap)

I like your tiers Gunner. Nice job on this!! It's hard to quantify the guys ascending and you did it right. They've played pretty well but have yet to prove that they can win.

Bortles is on the verge of taking a major step in my opinion. I know the Jags are a bit of a trendy pick this year but I think Bortles could be on the verge of becoming a top 10 QB.

Agree and he isn't a guy that I liked coming out. He looks like he will be a good QB.

1) Rodgers

2) Brady

3) Cam

4) Big Ben

5) Brees

6) Wilson

7) Luck

8) Eli

9) Flacco

10) Palmer

11) Romo

12) Rivers

13) Ryan

14) Dalton

15) Winston

16) Bortles

17) Tyrod

18) Mariota

19) Goff

20) Griffin

21) Carr

22) Bridgewater

23) Wentz

24) Lynch

25) Alex Smith

26) Stafford

27) Osweiler

28) Tannehill

29) Cutler

30) Cousins

31) Fitzpatrick

32) Sanchez

I could move a lot of these a couple of spaces either way. The interesting thing about ranking the QBs was the stratification. Franchise QBs at the top, then very good QBs who can get hot and carry a team, followed by good QBs who have never been able to push their team over the top, followed by young QBs with high potential, then risk/potential types, then stopgaps and guys you want to replace.

Edited by BarleyNY

Luck wasn't really playing at an elite level prior to his injury last year. The Colts did invest in the OL in the draft. It will be interesting to see him return to the form/trend of a couple seasons ago. If he does, the Colts should be considered a Super Bowl contending team.

I know lists are generated to validate self-held beliefs, but it's an exercise in futility to grade people on past performance. Who are the guys that are ascending into 2016 and who are the ones descending?

In terms of young QBs, it's Derek Carr, Bortles, Cousins, and Wilson. Tyrod still needs another year to evaluate whether he can start reading defenses to use the entire field. The other 4 guys, albeit with more PT, can do that better than him. The question is, does TT go the route of Kaepernick or improve his to beb an all-around good QB like Russell Wilson?