RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Schefter (right after the draft): Lawson will need surgery at some point and will miss months of a season

Lawson: that's not true

Whaley: Lawson is a day one starter. We have complete confidence in our medical staff and they have cleared him to play right now.

emoulds: Lawson will miss an extended period of time this season

one member of the chorus: you can't just SAY that!! Damn your ego---tell us why he will miss games! It's otherwise impossible to speculate with any accuracy!!

Whaley: yeah we knew this was a problem, so we are doing the smart thing--getting out ahead of it and sending him for that surgery schefter said he needed but our docs said he didn't at this time. There was a tweak, you know...

Chorus: this is no big deal....in fact it's great news!

another member of chorus: this surgery will cure him of this problem and he will never be injured in this way again!

Media: he may not be back until November

chorus: so what? That means he will be fresh and will have had less chance to get injured before November! You realists are clearly NOT!

Media: Shaq may be out for season

chorus: It's going to be like having TWO first round picks next year!

Clemson has avoided all the poop throwing!? Why would they allow a high profile athlete to go through multiple offseasons without addressing a lingering injury which will get worse not better. That is not a good look for their staff either, something with this entire situation smells funny. Maybe it's all the poop?

A question worth asking.

Come. On i expect better from you. First his last year was his one and only year as a starter.

being brutally honest he and every athelete with NFL aspirations knows they are being scouted

On each and every play. They know the high stakes and millions of dollars at stake. depending on where

They are slotted. This is simply

IMO another in a long list of OBD thinking they are the smartest guys in the room. Sorry 16 years and running 3 with Whaley say otherwise. Perhaps after drafting

Him a comment and understanding similar to a certain injured back drafted years ago along the lines of

" he is injured we will correct this before we risk a career ending injury" would float way better than what Whaley said.

Which in another thread you conveniently refused to rely to me what he said after calling me out as being wrong. I was

Not wrong. The Bills called him a day 1 starter. This is irregardless of his talent or potential. OBD chest pumping that on their

Board they got two first round picks in round 1&2 looks foolish no? Of course I am wrong and negative because I simply am not a Whaley ball washer. Like the usual suspects here. it's laughable.

:blink:

Clemson has avoided all the poop throwing!? Why would they allow a high profile athlete to go through multiple offseasons without addressing a lingering injury which will get worse not better. That is not a good look for their staff either, something with this entire situation smells funny. Maybe it's all the poop?

they were #allin

I've hear it reported as a slight labrum tear according to NFLN's Ian Rappaport. I tend to believe this vs. anything more serious given the sheer length of time he was able to play with it.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks. I was wondering if it was a labrum. I tore mine almost 20 years ago (bench press), but waited about 8 years to get it fixed. I can understand why people thought he could get away with waiting for surgery. I was fine except when I made that specific motion. But that exact motion was excruciating. It felt like my shoulder was popping out of place (which, I was later told, was exactly what was happening).

The good news is that Lawson is going to get the best care. I was very lucky in that regard, too. I went to the Cleveland Clinic and got an Ortho who was known for being a go-to guy for MLB pitchers. But he is going to have a long road back. His arm will be immobilized for a couple months. The atrophy in my chest and arm was unreal after that. He's a lot younger and in better shape than I was - which is great - but he's playing in the NFL now. Lawson not only has to heal, he has to get strong enough to make sure he doesn't re-injure himself. The prudent course of action is to err on the side of caution and make sure he gets healthy and back in shape. The Bills need to prepare as if he will not play in 2016 and consider anything he gives the team this season a bonus.

Or handing Ron Stanley his ass?

GO BILLS!!!

PFT is click hungry tonight and they have conveniently quoted an unnamed source for the sake of grabbing attention. Never seen them do that before. :rolleyes:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

PFT is click hungry tonight and they have conveniently quoted an unnamed source for the sake of grabbing attention. Never seen them do that before. :rolleyes:

There are some around here who think Florio is Pulitzer worthy.

GO BILLS!!!

There are some around here who think Florio is Pulitzer worthy.

GO BILLS!!!

his radio show is on now here every night at 7pm. It's bad. We used to have local programming at that time but they moved those guys to 10am because everyone complained about lebatard. Edited by YoloinOhio

they were #allin

Allin on something....maybe some bull ****. Dabo has turned that place into an NFL breeding ground and a serious FBS powerhouse, is it safe to say players and future recruits should expect better? Shaq had a beastly season, if he had the shoulder taken care of immediately after the NCG would that have made him fall out of the first round? I doubt it, not many guys with his skill set in this draft and it's not a career altering injury. His prognosis would have been much better for the upcoming season and that would have helped him avoid a slide. If the timeline for the injury is correct that leaves serious doubts about the passive approach by Clemson's medical staff. It also casts a shadow of doubt over the "Clemson Connection", if everyone was forth coming (including Whaley) they could avoided this stooopid PR fiasco. It is a business, I understand it's not always fair - but NFL teams have the upper hand lets keep it that. The day we need the Jaguars medical staff to lead the way. Yikes.

Come. On i expect better from you. First his last year was his one and only year as a starter.

being brutally honest he and every athelete with NFL aspirations knows they are being scouted

On each and every play. They know the high stakes and millions of dollars at stake. depending on where

They are slotted. This is simply

IMO another in a long list of OBD thinking they are the smartest guys in the room. Sorry 16 years and running 3 with Whaley say otherwise. Perhaps after drafting

Him a comment and understanding similar to a certain injured back drafted years ago along the lines of

" he is injured we will correct this before we risk a career ending injury" would float way better than what Whaley said.

Which in another thread you conveniently refused to rely to me what he said after calling me out as being wrong. I was

Not wrong. The Bills called him a day 1 starter. This is irregardless of his talent or potential. OBD chest pumping that on their

Board they got two first round picks in round 1&2 looks foolish no? Of course I am wrong and negative because I simply am not a Whaley ball washer. Like the usual suspects here. it's laughable.

yes, all good points. i use all small letters, you don't use punctuation. to each his own but i totally agree with your points.

26 dismisses you with a flick of the back of his hand. don't take it personally. he does the same to any bills critic. it's what he does.

anyone know what the going rate is for astroturfers on a per post basis?

So it appears that Lawson didn't want to have surgery but the team forced it on him after what happened in practice. Oh well, let's hope he's back in 4 months and not 6.

Sounded that way based upon Whaley's statement and the video seems to confirm that.

So it appears that Lawson didn't want to have surgery but the team forced it on him after what happened in practice. Oh well, let's hope he's back in 4 months and not 6.

That would fit Whaley's statement, though it could have been better worded. Maybe I didn't get it with full context.

When did he find out? After we did? He seemed pretty jolly at the rookie thing on Friday and we had already heard from emoulds at that point. He needs to join tbd so he can learn when he's having surgery.

Edited by YoloinOhio