RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

It's apparent he dropped because of this.

The pressure is on him and all who approved this.

Yeah, he better be BIG!

Seems as if he only dropped 8 spots. And most of those were not teams looking for an edge player. We're not talking about a player everyone thought would be top 5 (Myles Jack) were talking about a guy most people had going at 11. It was a drop but not much of one. Also it's his shoulder. As long as he doesn't have to be a QB I think he'll be ok. He seemed to handle Stanley fine with out it functioning (the rematch @ 100% would have been interesting).

Seems as if he only dropped 8 spots. And most of those were not teams looking for an edge player. We're not talking about a player everyone thought would be top 5 (Myles Jack) were talking about a guy most people had going at 11. It was a drop but not much of one. Also it's his shoulder. As long as he doesn't have to be a QB I think he'll be ok. He seemed to handle Stanley fine with out it functioning (the rematch @ 100% would have been interesting).

That's the thing. People act like this will be a nagging problem, and will taint his career. All indications are that once he has this repaired, he will be fine, and maybe more capable.

That's the thing. People act like this will be a nagging problem, and will taint his career. All indications are that once he has this repaired, he will be fine, and maybe more capable.

The other thing some people seem to be doing is taking what Schefter has said, which went from 4-6 months to 5-6 months, as fact on how long Shaq will be out. The same Schefter who said Sammy will miss all of training camp, when every other reporter seems to think he'll be good to go for training camp if not a little bit after. Schefter is getting estimates from medical people who I would guess haven't examined Shaq Lawson.

At this point no one knows how long it will be but lets all go ahead and assume the longest amount of time because of course, it's the Bills.

The Jacksonville Jaguars red flagged his shoulder- that is accurate. The guy gets drafted in the 1st round then needs surgery less than 3 weeks later. Don't be so naive.

Naive? Because I don't buy your made up and inaccurate conjectural nonsense? Give me a break!

They took a calculated risk that he could get through the 2016 season w/o any medical intervention as he did all through his Clemson career. It did not go according to their plan, so they fix it now and get him back at 100% health as soon as possible. It is what it is.

Exactly. Nobody lied and nobody screwed up. If you want to blame the Bills for taking that risk on a 1st round pick so be it.

Oh, it was a mistake. That can't be argued.

It's not a "mistake" unless Lawson becomes a bust. Until then it was a calculated risk. But I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference.

It's not a "mistake" unless Lawson becomes a bust. Until then it was a calculated risk. But I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference.

What you expect is irrelevant. You get these guys for maybe four or five years and have lost one effectively to injury.

That, by any measure, is a mistake.

What you expect is irrelevant. You get these guys for maybe four or five years and have lost one effectively to injury.

That, by any measure, is a mistake.

"Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack people's heads open and feast on the goo inside" "yes, I would Kent"

As of now, he has yet to miss a game, and it's not impossible he does not miss one game. Also, if he turns out to be elite, he will likely last more than five years. Kyle is going into his eleventh season.

Let's say he misses four games but gets 10 sacks on the season and double-digit sacks every year of his initial contract. If that happens, were the Bills still mistaken to draft him. I'm not saying this will happen, just that maybe you shouldn't be so definitive while citing scenarios that haven't happened yet.

May take: Bad news any way you slice it.

I get the people in here saying it's ok b/c he's a great player and it'll be fine. I get that. But dude is about to miss half the season in all probability. Coupled w/ Sammy's foot we got really bad news right now.

May take: Bad news any way you slice it.

I get the people in here saying it's ok b/c he's a great player and it'll be fine. I get that. But dude is about to miss half the season in all probability. Coupled w/ Sammy's foot we got really bad news right now.

This is my favorite take thus far... He's about to miss a half a season based on guys who aren't doctors or guys who haven't examined him

And just so we are aware, Dr. Adam Schefter has been wrong with medical diagnosis' before. One that I remember, because Jeff Fisher openly mocked him, was in 2014 when he tweeted that Sam Bradford hadn't torn his ACL. Fisher said "funny I don't remember Adam being in the training room". And in fact Bradford had torn his ACL.

My point: I wouldn't take these time frames as fact.

@nfl

"The expectation is that he's going to start the preseason on the PUP list and miss 4-5 games." (via @RapSheet)

@rapsheet

On Shaq Lawson... Could make for an interesting PUP decision to start the season

Edited by YoloinOhio

@NFL

"The expectation is that he's going to start the preseason on the PUP list and miss 4-5 games." (via @RapSheet)

So let me get this right: he's going to miss all of OTAs, all team meetings, all practices in preseason, all preseason games AS A ROOKIE -- them miss 5 games. Gold, jerry. Pure gold.

And I'm supposed to be ok with what turns out to be a complete lack of production by a first-round draft pick?

So let me get this right: he's going to miss all of OTAs, all team meetings, all practices in preseason, all preseason games AS A ROOKIE -- them miss 5 games. Gold, jerry. Pure gold.

And I'm supposed to be ok with what turns out to be a complete lack of production by a first-round draft pick?

He'll miss all of the physical reps, but certainly not the team meetings. He'll be in catch up mode. No doubt about that, but in the long term he'll be a very good player for the Bills.

"Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack people's heads open and feast on the goo inside" "yes, I would Kent"

As of now, he has yet to miss a game, and it's not impossible he does not miss one game. Also, if he turns out to be elite, he will likely last more than five years. Kyle is going into his eleventh season.

Let's say he misses four games but gets 10 sacks on the season and double-digit sacks every year of his initial contract. If that happens, were the Bills still mistaken to draft him. I'm not saying this will happen, just that maybe you shouldn't be so definitive while citing scenarios that haven't happened yet.

If this and if that. If McCoy grows wings and can fly above the field he'll score a touchdown on every play.

The die was cast for something like this before they even drafted Lawson. They had to ignore the medical reports the other teams took into account because Rex's horrible mismanagement of his roster forced them into a dire need at this position. It wasn't just a top need, it was a make or break the team need. That's on Rex because he turned gold into straw from 2014-15 and created the hole at the position. Round 2....also on Rex. A great college linebacker who is seen as too slow to play at a top level in the NFL but we need him because Rex can't get anything out of Brown who had a very solid rookie season. 3rd round.....filling yet another gap, not one that was totally on Rex but partially.

It's May and Rex's 2016 plan, which Whaley was cornered into executing in the draft, has already fallen apart because it hinged on getting lucky with an injured player. We had our usual bad luck and the defense will suck again. It needs 11 perfect puzzle pieces to even have a chance at working.....and even then it has been a proven failure, but we're already down to 10 at best and we're wishing and praying that our safety doesn't get hurt. I am worried for Aaron Williams....not Rex's fault.....but his health is more important than trying to help a failed system.

The worst case scenario is that somehow Rex gets Whaley run out of town and he gets to stay. Whaley has drafted well IMO and he has been saddled.....partially of his own doing.....with head coaches that are just terrible. This year's draft class could go on to have great NFL careers although it seems like a real long shot for Ragland. Lawson, Jones, Williams all have brilliant upsides. Washington can be serviceable. Ragland would have been an awesome player in 1990 or before. Without Lawson being ready and up to speed, which is pretty much an impossibility at this point, EVERYTHING will have to click on offense because this D will probably slide again. #4----->#19-------#xx? My guess is about 28 and it's an absolute sin. It's the NFL and people get fired for stuff like this. It is so easy to imagine Whaley winning Super Bowls for the Rams or Colts or whoever.

@theMMQB

CiqBTbJUgAE8bnd.jpg

1. I think the short-term injuries to Sammy Watkins and Shaq Lawson in Buffalo are significant because the head coach isn’t sure he’ll get the long term to establish himself. Lawson, the Bills’ first-round pick, will be sidelined for about five months after shoulder surgery, which means he should miss the early part of the season. Watkins’ broken foot, as first reported by the Buffalo News yesterday, may sideline the top receiver for training camp, but the team is expecting him to be ready for Week 1. Neither is an injury with long-term concerns, but after Rex Ryan didn’t satisfy his playoffs promise in 2015 and the team put out a statement assuring his job security after one season, he’s clearly stockpiled the fort around him to prove last year was an anomaly. He brought his brother, Rob, to Buffalo, and he drafted defense with the first three picks. For a team in batten-down-the-hatches mode, heading into the season with two of your key pieces fighting injuries is tough news.