Sam Bradford Wants Out of Philly; Crawls Back to Eagles

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing: there's little to be gained by fighting now. There's nothing the Eagles get back other than dead cap by cutting him. The deal structure makes him very tradable, but at this point a #1 pick for this year is off the table, and the only team with the cap space and QB need is the Niners, which would require a deal in an even more toxic situation than it is right now due to the Chip Kelly fallout.

Maybe that's what Bradford wants, to reunite with Chip Kelly? He did have the only year of his career where he looked 100% legit playing for Chip.

I can't be objective about Bradford. I am NOT a team-formerly-known-as-StL-Rams fan, but living in Stl it's hard to avoid and Sam Bradford was a total House of Pain for the Rams.

Bradford, drafted #1 overall and expected to be the Franchise Savior, before the current CBA/rookie wage scale so they paid him a ton - 6 year, $78M, $50M guaranteed, biggest rookie QB contract ever. Having all their eggs in the Bradford basket, he then proceeded to have 2 decent years, 2 years where he missed a total of half a season, and 1 year where he was out for the season before it started. You can't blame a guy for getting injured, and he's a classic pocket passer, it's not like he courts injury by scrambling all over. But one can wonder if the Rams treatment of his knee and/or Bradford's choices in treatment were all that - did he refuse to wear a knee brace? Did the medical staff deem it unnecessary?

His contract crippled the Rams. They didn't have his services, but they didn't have the money to pursue anyone else, either.

So I can understand the attraction Bradford has in a QB-starved market, but even with teams like the Broncs that have "everything but a QB" and the 49ers that have major questions at QB, I'm kind of like "don't do it, don't jump!". And I personally think Bradford should say "yes, sir, thank you sir, I appreciate my helmet sir, please let me get in the playbook sir" for his chance.

Maybe that's what Bradford wants, to reunite with Chip Kelly? He did have the only year of his career where he looked 100% legit playing for Chip.

I can't be objective about Bradford. I am NOT a team-formerly-known-as-StL-Rams fan, but living in Stl it's hard to avoid and Sam Bradford was a total House of Pain for the Rams.

Bradford, drafted #1 overall and expected to be the Franchise Savior, before the current CBA/rookie wage scale so they paid him a ton - 6 year, $78M, $50M guaranteed, biggest rookie QB contract ever. Having all their eggs in the Bradford basket, he then proceeded to have 2 decent years, 2 years where he missed a total of half a season, and 1 year where he was out for the season before it started. You can't blame a guy for getting injured, and he's a classic pocket passer, it's not like he courts injury by scrambling all over. But one can wonder if the Rams treatment of his knee and/or Bradford's choices in treatment were all that - did he refuse to wear a knee brace? Did the medical staff deem it unnecessary?

His contract crippled the Rams. They didn't have his services, but they didn't have the money to pursue anyone else, either.

So I can understand the attraction Bradford has in a QB-starved market, but even with teams like the Broncs that have "everything but a QB" and the 49ers that have major questions at QB, I'm kind of like "don't do it, don't jump!". And I personally think Bradford should say "yes, sir, thank you sir, I appreciate my helmet sir, please let me get in the playbook sir" for his chance.

Based on everything I know, that is the last coach he'd like to play for.

Sam "has the starting QB job" now, but he and everyone else should know if it's anywhere close and Wentz looks anywhere near ready then he's the guy. The Eagles and Broncos can claim all they want about redshirting Wentz and Lynch, but if they look ready they are playing.

It's musical chairs at QB and the Eagles just brought in a chair that says "reserved for Carson". Sam knows it and he knows he's screwed if he's not head and shoulders the best. He came into the league as a golden child and it's the first time he's really faced opposition, his reaction has already spoken loud and clear across the league.

His hissyfit doesn't make any sense. He has destroyed his trade value so now there's no hope of the Eagles trading him and they're not going to kill the deal they just made. I guess, given his history on the field, we shouldn't be surprised that Bradford has limited vision and is bad at decisions.

That article is a waste of words. Why don't they hypothesize about him getting kidnapped by aliens too?

It's probably one of the nicer options Bradford has at this point. Why would the Iggles trade him and eat his $11M signing bonus?

OTOH, if he wants to hold out through training camp and preseason, as far as I can tell he'd be charged just a fraction of that $11M signing bonus:

$70,000 for missing the mandatory veteran mini-camp $ 70,000

$30,000 per day for missing training camp (x 3 weeks?) $630,00

1/17 of his salary for missing a preseason game $437,500

would be fined something like $1.2M for missing all of mandatory mini camp and training camp and preseason?

So why would he give back his $11M signing bonus by retiring just to avoid a $1.2M fine?

Interesting question.

It's probably one of the nicer options Bradford has at this point. Why would the Iggles trade him and eat his $11M signing bonus?

OTOH, if he wants to hold out through training camp and preseason, as far as I can tell he'd be charged just a fraction of that $11M signing bonus:

$70,000 for missing the mandatory veteran mini-camp $ 70,000

$30,000 per day for missing training camp (x 3 weeks?) $630,00

1/17 of his salary for missing a preseason game $437,500

would be fined something like $1.2M for missing all of mandatory mini camp and training camp and preseason?

So why would he give back his $11M signing bonus by retiring just to avoid a $1.2M fine?

Interesting question.

Pretty much. If whay I heard this morning on the radio is correct, his agent Tom Condon completely dismissed the idea of giving back his bonus.

He can always do what Byrd did: claim injury to hold out, and come back when convenient to help his stock.

Well schitt, when you just got an $11M bonus and you want to be traded, any port in a storm, man.

Pretty much. If whay I heard this morning on the radio is correct, his agent Tom Condon completely dismissed the idea of giving back his bonus.

He can always do what Byrd did: claim injury to hold out, and come back when convenient to help his stock.

As much injured as Bradford has been, there is no way claiming injury could help his stock.

If Bradford really wants to be traded, he needs to put at least part of the bonus on the table, because no one wants him at Philly's price - and Philly's price is driven in part by that bonus.

He's an idiot. Boo freakin hoo. You have to compete? OMG, call the cops. Shut up and beat the competition like the rest of the NFL. He's destroying his rep basically saying he doesn't want competition. If he kills it this year, there is no way Wentz sees the field. Just win baby.

He can beat that contract by winning a playoff game. It just tells me and millions of people he doesn't.t think he can be a championship QB.

He's an idiot. Boo freakin hoo. You have to compete? OMG, call the cops. Shut up and beat the competition like the rest of the NFL. He's destroying his rep basically saying he doesn't want competition. If he kills it this year, there is no way Wentz sees the field. Just win baby.

He can beat that contract by winning a playoff game. It just tells me and millions of people he doesn't.t think he can be a championship QB.

The shiny new toy will always get the shot sooner than later.

True. But compare and contrast Bradford's behavior with Drew Brees when the Chargers drafted Rivers. Brees, drafted in 2001, wasn't looking like "all that and a bag of chips" by 2003-2004. Chargers drafted Rivers in 2004, Brees lit the place up that fall: "Siddown, Rookie". 2005, Brees would have been a FA, but the Chargers franchised him: another strong year:"Siddown, Rookie". 2006, he got the big FA offers despite the torn labrum and the Chargers moved on to the "new shiny". But it took 2 years.

If Bradford sat down shut up and played his butt off, he could easily keep Wentz on the bench for 1-2 years and he'd be every QB needy team's Hot Ticket. Instead, he's just a Hot Mess.

No kidding! Stop the whining and play your arse off. He may have had his pretty little feelings hurt, but he was the last guy to get rich for life (or generations) before ever playing a down. Prove something for once! Earn that check. Then he can get paid for ONCE for actually accomplishing something.

Bradford is costing himself money by his stupid, childish whinefest. He has plenty so let him retire if he's not up to the challenge. Stupid ass (he is).