Stop A Sack or Create A Sack?

boyst

More value...  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Stop a sack or create a sack?

• Stop
    • Create

This was a question posed on Sirius the other day and it has since been on my mind. So, I thought I would share it.

The question was posed about who should be taken by one of the top teams set at QB. They had needs on OL and pass rushing. And Ross Tucker asked if it is more important to stop a sack or create a sack when determining who to draft?

Hands down, I'd rather stop a sack. This is why I am not afraid to go Conklin in the first if Lee or Dodd is not available. BPA is Lee or Dodd, but Conklin is just fine and Decker isn't far behind him.

Edited by Boyst62

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you don't have kids yet, I think you want to create a sack, because most men want a son to pass down their genetic legacy to.

However, if you already have a child, and it's a girl, I think you want to stop a sack, because no father wants some !@#$ banging his little girl.

This was a question posed on Sirius the other day and it has since been on my mind. So, I thought I would share it.

The question was posed about who should be taken by one of the top teams set at QB. They had needs on OL and pass rushing. And Ross Tucker asked if it is more important to stop a sack or create a sack when determining who to draft?

Hands down, I'd rather stop a sack. This is why I am not afraid to go Conklin in the first if Lee or Dodd is not available. BPA is Lee or Dodd, but Conklin is just fine and Decker isn't far behind him.

I'll go in a completely different direction. This defines the ability to pressure a quarterback as one of the key elements to winning and losing. So both are important

Bill Polian once listed his positional importance for building a team from scratch and it's not a surprise he listed the pass rusher 2nd and the OT 3rd on the list. That was in 1990. I wonder if he's changed his thinking.

GO BILLS!!!

Create a sack. Id rather have a pass rusher who can win a one on one pass rush vs a OT who would lose that you could supply help to via scheme or additional players

Well said and it's how I feel as well. A great pass rusher can make a play to change a game. It's REALLY difficult for an OL to do the same. The whole unit has to be working for that to happen.

If Glenn & Incognito are amazing it certainly helps the Bills (especially in the running game). On big passing downs though they could be perfect and a sack could happen. They can't control that. A dominant pass rusher can make that play on their own.

Any hit on a QB can end that player's season so I take competent pass protectors over competent pass rushers. I'd take stud pass rushers and competent OTs over the reverse however. Competent pass protectors are a must for a team to function well, but they don't need to be total studs. Competent pass rushers are okay, but a stud or two can make a huge impact on an otherwise good team. If I'm building a team up from the ground and I have a QB my first priority is to keep him healthy. If I'm trying to put a solid team over the top then I'm looking to spend draft capital and money on premium edge rushers.

Edited by BarleyNY

Think what Von Miller did to Brady and Newton and you have your answer. If we can't disrupt Brady, we aren't going anywhere.

#1) Not everyone has a Von Miller

#2) Not every team has a center with a telltale head bob that tips the snap (Bryan Stork) and allows Miller to have half a step on their RT

#1) Not everyone has a Von Miller

#2) Not every team has a center with a telltale head bob that tips the snap (Bryan Stork) and allows Miller to have half a step on their RT

That was brutal with Stork. He gift wrapped that game for Miller and Co. I couldn't believe that a team giving away the snap count like that could do that well and make it that far. I assume he did it all season, though I didn't watch Carolina until the playoffs.

Create a sack. Id rather have a pass rusher who can win a one on one pass rush vs a OT who would lose that you could supply help to via scheme or additional players

Well said and it's how I feel as well. A great pass rusher can make a play to change a game. It's REALLY difficult for an OL to do the same. The whole unit has to be working for that to happen.

If Glenn & Incognito are amazing it certainly helps the Bills (especially in the running game). On big passing downs though they could be perfect and a sack could happen. They can't control that. A dominant pass rusher can make that play on their own.

Bingo. LT will never be a game changer. Can't---it's an ensemble.

I agree not everyone has a Von Miller, but even the Bills of the 80s with Bruce Smith weren't as effective on defense until they acquired Cornelius Bennett. I still say a great pass rush is what we need to be competitive in our division. Letting Brady pick us apart year after year is really tiresome.

The second NE game he couldn't do that but our offense was garbage.

Defense wins championships.

in 2015, with the exception of the Detroit Lions, the top ten teams in number of sacks were playoff teams.

The bottom ten, including the Bills at 31 - no playoff teams.