Jarius Wynn to OLB

He's being interviewed on WGR and said he will be playing OLB this year. Down 20 lbs to 265. He said last year he was at "big" DE behind Mario. He indicated he will be dropping back a lot. He said he and Hughes will both be in the LB room this year, instead of the DL room where they were last year.

(Before he got hurt)

Seems like he may rotate with a rookie to replace Mario. He seems very excited.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has shades of Chris Kelsay & Spencer Johnson about it.

Wynn was a pretty marginal athlete 7 years ago (from his Combine numbers). Older now and suffered wear and tear. Can't envision him being a success at OLB.

Let's hope it's depth and nothing more. I'm not even considering the starting unit until the draft is completed, clearly we have holes let's hope things fall in place.

Strange. He was effective as a rotational DE and did well filling in at DT for Dareus week 17 of 2014. Dropping the weight and moving to OLB doesn't make sense.

Yeah I'm not getting this either. It seems he would be a much better asset as a situational pass rusher. Maybe they just don't see him making the team and this is his only shot.

boom...

why not ??.....it worked so good with Mario....(sarcasm)...lets try it with wynn and hughes.

It actually worked pretty well with Hughes last year, who showed he has a ton of heart and dedication, and (was one of the few players who) held himself accountable for learning the scheme. He was able to cover very effectively, and of course, rush the passer.

Hughes and Von Miller play similar positions, and both performed well last year. Hughes arguably was our best player on D.

Mario/Wynn should be compared to DeMarcus Ware, who was also asked to drop into coverage (not nearly as much as Miller/Hughes), did so effectively, and didnt complain. That was really the role that Manny Lawson took on our team. If Mario had half the heart and smarts Lawson did, then we make the playoffs and he's still on the team.

Edited by DrDareustein

It actually worked pretty well with Hughes last year, who showed he has a ton of heart and dedication, and (was one of the few players who) held himself accountable for learning the scheme. He was able to cover very effectively, and of course, rush the passer.

Hughes and Von Miller play similar positions, and both performed well last year. Hughes arguably was our best player on D.

Mario/Wynn should be compared to DeMarcus Ware, who was also asked to drop into coverage (not nearly as much as Miller/Hughes), did so effectively, and didnt complain. That was really the role that Manny Lawson took on our team. If Mario had half the heart and smarts Lawson did, then we make the playoffs and he's still on the team.

Hughes covered Gronk pretty well a couple times down the sideline.,

The entire viable defense is being transformed into Rex's mold. It will suck pretty bad when it is done but the transition period is when it will suck the most. Alienating Mario was step 1. Excoriating Brown was step 2. This is step 3. My guess is we'll get 3 or 4 more ridiculous steps before the season starts.

I think I was wrong and others were right in saying MD will still be with the Bills when we get our new coach. The contract dictates that. Hughes? We'll see. He may do well again or get pushed aside. Because of his personality he may be an easy target for blame. I'm sure that is not lost on Rex. Poor Kyle has almost no chance. Darby will be here but Gilmore may bolt for greener pastures. The rest of the D is a big question mark due to either injuries or the need to draft new players.

The #1 thing to hope for is that the players we draft won't be fits for Rex's scheme but poor fits for viable schemes. That would really put a crimp in 2017.

Yep, thats the example I had in mind too. Crazy to think the players could really do what they were asked, when they cared, held themselves accountable, and tried.

On the flip side he was eaten up in coverage the one game pettine put him into Lawson's role (saints). I'm curious to see how it will go. I'll admit, I haven't done the rewatching of last years games that some have. Honestly, I have little desire to see them again. Edited by NoSaint

Strange. He was effective as a rotational DE and did well filling in at DT for Dareus week 17 of 2014. Dropping the weight and moving to OLB doesn't make sense.

What makes you the expert on where our players should be playing in Rex's scheme? Everyone on this board thinks they know everything about NFL schemes. I am sure Rex and his coaches know what's up. Why don't you sit back and enjoy the NBA and NHL playoffs, get excited for the draft and let the coaches do what they do best without stressing out about who is going to play outside Linebacker for us in the fall? Just makes life that much simpler.

On the flip side he was eaten up in coverage the one game pettine put him into Lawson's role (saints). I'm curious to see how it will go. I'll admit, I haven't done the rewatching of last years games that some have. Honestly, I have little desire to see them again.

Wasn't that in 2013?

What makes you the expert on where our players should be playing in Rex's scheme? Everyone on this board thinks they know everything about NFL schemes. I am sure Rex and his coaches know what's up. Why don't you sit back and enjoy the NBA and NHL playoffs, get excited for the draft and let the coaches do what they do best without stressing out about who is going to play outside Linebacker for us in the fall? Just makes life that much simpler.

I can't speak for anyone but I've played my fair share on Madden. I think I know a thing or two about roster management and scheme fits!