No progress toward TT extension per Carucci; agent unhappy

The reality is that TT is one play away from his football career ending. His agent is trying to get money. Also, while none of us hope for this, what if TT crashes and burns this upcoming season? I know Promo is arguing that TT's play was stellar. However, the Bills had a strong ground game. TT made it to the pro bowl only because others declined.

Look we all want him to prove he is THE guy but he has not done so yet.

as is every player in the NFL

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god find a way to pay the man...he's fearless, determined and better than anyone they've had for a long time...dump Shady and Ej..they don't even come close to earning the money they make

Unfortunately, Whaley has played this game wrong...in that Osweiller like defection may well happen next year. (or maybe that agent played the game well) I think TT stays this year, plays well, and hits the free agent market with no preconceived notion of what team he will play for in 2017. Services to the highest bidder. That would be very business like....he will honor his contract, and stay professional. He will get max dollar......and, if he has even a slightly better year than last year.....he will be a $20mil/year guy. He signed with Buffalo to get the chance to show he was a starter...if he does that again, the Bills got two years of low cost QB play.......it was an good deal for both parties. Going forward, who knows how this plays. The only thing Whaley can do is draft another QB (OR, 2)......to have at least one ready under contract in 2017. (learn from John Elway's mistakes in Denver) We know EJ is weak and likely career backup material at best. And, EJ's contract is up...and like Losman, he will have played his rookie contract out....and, he may have the same result as Losman...never see game action in the NFL again.(EJ gone next year imho) The Bills have blown two first round QB picks, had both of them play out 5 year contracts......and don't have a QB to show for that decade of wasted effort.

Unfortunately, Whaley has played this game wrong...in that Osweiller like defection may well happen next year. (or maybe that agent played the game well) I think TT stays this year, plays well, and hits the free agent market with no preconceived notion of what team he will play for in 2017. Services to the highest bidder. That would be very business like....he will honor his contract, and stay professional. He will get max dollar......and, if he has even a slightly better year than last year.....he will be a $20mil/year guy. He signed with Buffalo to get the chance to show he was a starter...if he does that again, the Bills got two years of low cost QB play.......it was an good deal for both parties. Going forward, who knows how this plays. The only thing Whaley can do is draft another QB (OR, 2)......to have at least one ready under contract in 2017. (learn from John Elway's mistakes in Denver) We know EJ is weak and likely career backup material at best. And, EJ's contract is up...and like Losman, he will have played his rookie contract out....and, he may have the same result as Losman...never see game action in the NFL again.(EJ gone next year imho) The Bills have blown two first round QB picks, had both of them play out 5 year contracts......and don't have a QB to show for that decade of wasted effort.

Franchise.

Tag.

Under your scenario, why wouldn't they tag Taylor next offseason?

Exactly. They have already cleared enough space for it. That wasn't an accident.

Indeed...the only contracts they need to focus on (presumably after the draft) are Glenn and Gilmore. Get them done and worry about Tyrod once you're convinced he deserves $20M/year.

I think the Bills are handling this the right way. He definitely played well at times last year but there are certainly some questions that need to be answered yet.

Thats a good question.

By the most common statistical measures used for QB's, he had a very good to almost great year. Going 8-6 as a starter is not to shabby either! Think we would all agree it's a W with him in again't the Jags, not sure if he changes the Bengals outcome. so lets say 9-7 at worst. So objectively, i would say he had a good year.

But on the other hand, his play in crunch time was not what you want out of a "franchise" QB. Just did not get it done too many times on drives down by one score or less in the 4th. So subjectively, i think one can say the jury is still out.

Listen, i think the guy is here to stay, for Gods sake just named my dog after him.

What we don't know is what Taylor wants nor what the Bills have proposed.

Let's say the Bills have proposed 3 yrs, $36m, with $22M guaranteed, but Taylor wants 6, $96M with $45M guaranteed. That a big gulf in guaranteed money...and weird part is I can understand both parties positions in that scenario. that, and the contract status of Glenn and Gilmore, i think preclude getting a deal done until sometime during the season.

If a 1st round pick QB had Taylor's season we would be falling all over ourselves declaring him the franchise savior.

So the big knock against TT is he wasn't clutch enough in a few games? First year starter couldn't play like Joe Montana in his prime? No unreasonable expectations here.

Well, some stats. He did very well on percentages and ratings, but not so well on cumulative stats like yards, attempts, etc. I've explained this before and walked through it - and you've read it - so I'll just quickly give the results. Taylor shows promise, but his main issue is that when he doesn't see an open receiver he pulls the ball down and runs. He's to be commended for making something where he otherwise sees nothing, but a big part of him not finding open receivers is his problems getting through his progressions. Long term he's way better off going through some growing pains and learning to get through his progressions than running so much. Not only is injury a big risk, but it also limits the number of pass plays an OC can call.

Promo, why do you ignore rational arguement after rational arguement on this? Why the crusade to get Taylor paid large now when pretty much everyone else understands he hasn't earned it? We are all rooting for him to make it and become a franchise QB for the Bills, but how can you think he's already there?

Rational? See my above comment? We are parsing TT's season to avoid praising him because we convinced ourselves a 6th round, 4 year backup can't be any good.

At the same time we get a boner for every 1st round washout or unproven college QB. That is the antithesis of rational.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If a 1st round pick QB had Taylor's season we would be falling all over ourselves declaring him the franchise savior.

So the big knock against TT is he wasn't clutch enough in a few games? First year starter couldn't play like Joe Montana in his prime? No unreasonable expectations here.

Maybe you would, but that's not the case for everyone. Tyrod showed quite a few good things last season, but there is certainly room for significant improvement. He's in a perfect position to cash in after next season and both he and the Bills will benefit from his improvements as an NFL QB should he put it all together. Patience by the Bills is the right approach with him and they really have little choice given how tight they are against the cap coming into the 2016 season. Onward!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Maybe you would, but that's not the case for everyone. Tyrod showed quite a few good things last season, but there is certainly room for significant improvement. He's in a perfect position to cash in after next season and both he and the Bills will benefit from his improvements as an NFL QB should he put it all together. Patience by the Bills is the right approach with him and they really have little choice given ho tight they are against the cap coming into the 2016 season. Onward!

That may well be the case. My only concern is giving TT a reason to leave the Bills. If you have teams ready to give you a fat contract now but the Bills want to wait and see while you make 10% of what you could be making, that could leave a bad taste.

Now add to that the blame some people hang on you when a couple games were lost thanks to crap defense.

That may well be the case. My only concern is giving TT a reason to leave the Bills. If you have teams ready to give you a fat contract now but the Bills want to wait and see while you make 10% of what you could be making, that could leave a bad taste.

Now add to that the blame some people hang on you when a couple games were lost thanks to crap defense.

He and his agent agreed to a contract. No sense in his agent bitching about it now. The blame game is weak because last time I checked football is a team game.

Nope...I'd be saying the exact same thing that I've been saying since December:

- I mostly liked what I saw last year

- He needs to learn to speed up his snap-to-release time

- He needs to learn to climb to safety and not bail out of the back of the pocket

- He needs to improve upon his ability to see and utilize the middle of the field

I have no idea why you're in such a rush to paint anyone that hasn't anointed Taylor as unreasonable.

Rational? See my above comment? We are parsing TT's season to avoid praising him because we convinced ourselves a 6th round, 4 year backup can't be any good.

At the same time we get a boner for every 1st round washout or unproven college QB. That is the antithesis of rational.

Neither of those statements are even remotely true in any way whatsoever.

We're being analytical with regard to the most important position in the game. It's completely rational in every way, and I have no clue why it bothers you so much.